The Church of Our Lady was funded by two sisters Lousie and Jessie Gallini, from a legacy left to them by their father, Sir John Gallini, in 1836. It was designed by J.J. Scoles in the newly fashionable Gothic style, and is noteworthy for its vaulted ceiling and elegant cast iron pillars. The church was initially fairly plain in its decoration, but it has gone through several redecoration schemes since. One such revision came in the 19th century, with new alters, rails and reredos, but unfortunately many of these features were damaged during the Second World War. The building was in such a poor state by the 1970s that the whole structure was thoroughly overhauled, with many of the adornments stripped out and replaced with more contemporary designs.
This latest refurbishment lasted well, but by the present day it became clear that some touching up was needed. Along with a permanent font and improved access for those with reduced mobility, the church’s lighting was fully renewed. Great British Lighting supplied pendants in an antique brass finish, complete with large opal glass shades and wired to take 42-watt dimmable compact fluorescent lamps.