Image Ref: 123456

Durham Castle is a Norman structure, originally built in the 11th century as a Bishops House, but later donated to the University of Durham in 1837 for student accommodation. To this day, it functions not only as a home to over 100 students, but also houses the college’s library, offices and two chapels. The oldest of Durham University’s colleges, the castle stands on top of a hill encircled by the River Wear, and grants a spectacular view of the beautiful medieval city.

For the castle’s enormous great hall, Great British Lighting reproduced a collection of four light pendants in an antique brass finish, complete with acid etched storm shades.

 

All Places of Worship Cathedrals Public Buildings Theatres Medieval Georgian Victorian Art Nouveau Arts Crafts Edwardian Art Deco Contemporary