Harrogate Theatre opened its doors for the first time on 11th January 1900. Then known as The Grand Opera House, the theatre was designed by Frank Tugwell who was also responsible for London’s Savoy Theatre. Extravagantly decorated with gilded plasterwork mouldings, the venue was notable at the time for featuring hot & cold running water and fully electric lighting.
In 2007 and 2008, the owners carried out an intensive refurbishment and restoration programme to the main auditorium, as well as the stalls and box office. In addition, the public stairwells were redecorated to match the original 1900 colour scheme of the lower foyer and custom manufactured multi-light chandeliers were cast to match. We supplied these in a Viraggio brass finish, complete with hand-blown reproduction Vaseline glass shades.