howarth_04

Built in 1909, this Tudor-style house was the home of William Haworth, a textile manufacturer. Later bestowed to the people of Accrington as a public gallery complete with a collection of paintings and antiques, it stands on nine acres of parkland to the south of the town centre, with exquisite views of the surrounding hills.

The house has examples of many different styles, from the oak-panelled entrance hall & heraldic stained glass windows typical of the Arts and Crafts movement, to the Gothic grotesques above the front doors and the extravagant Georgian light fixtures suspended from almost every room. Previously looking fairly tired and unremarkable, we are proud to have restored and refurbished these original fittings to their former glory.

 

All Places of Worship Cathedrals Public Buildings Theatres Medieval Georgian Victorian Art Nouveau Arts Crafts Edwardian Art Deco Contemporary