The current building opened in 1909 to replace the previous town hall as it had become too small for the Lancaster Corporation to effectively work in. The property was largely funded by Lord Ashton, a local businessman and entrepreneur. The Town Hall committee at the time endeavoured to construct the best class of building available, and eventually selected architect E.W. Mountfield, who had also designed Sheffield’s town hall and The Old Bailey in London. Widely regarded as one of the most striking structures in Lancaster, the entrance hall walls are clad in both Swedish green and Spanish red marble.
For this project, we collected the client’s own beautiful lights from site and refurbished them to their original design in our workshop. The lights were cleaned & returned to the original polished brass finish, and brought up to date by being full re-wired to enable the use of 32-watt compact fluorescent lamps.