By the end of the 19th century, the Jewish community in West Hampstead had grown enough to necessitate a new synagogue. The plans finally came to fruition in 1892 when work began. The building is composed of red brick with slate roofs, in an eclectic French Gothic/Romanesque style. The English Heritage have listed the building as Grade II*, the second highest such honour, and this was helped in no small part by the grand entrance hall, with its decorative wrought-iron doors and detailed mosaic tile floor.
As part of a multi-million pound restoration, Great British Lighting refurbished and rewired the client’s own exterior wall lantern and decorative leaded glass pendants. We also manufactured new twelve + one and eighteen + one light ornamental chandeliers. These were supplied in a Viraggio brass finish and wired with 42-watt dimmable compact fluorescent lamps. To match, we produced three + four light wall brackets of the same design.