7.) I'm going to start with 3.8 grains. Hehe, back before Nick skimmed down. Reloading Data for .38 Special - Load Data - 1895Gunner. There are many fun uses for buckshot. Some people then claimed SAAMI raised the 357 Mag to 45,000. Reloading Data .38 Special (Using Hornady Bullets) Metallic Only if you see more than one load, is it less than maximum. Loading the .38 Spl. & .357 Mag. - An Official Journal Of The NRA Shot many thousands of my bullseye powder reloads with it. An early Les Baer .45 knotted a group of the lead SWCs into a tight 1.3-inch group, while an M&P .45 did 1.25 inches. My grandkids think Im pulling their leg, when I tell them about the freedoms that NIMBYs took away. Dont know where #1 Buckshot can be found, but the Speer shot cups and UNIQUE powder currently easy enough to find. Ive been looking for a reason to get into reloading, and am particularly intrigued by the extremely long case life of .38 Special. Yeah, my wifes last gun, with +P it actually HURTS! At 25 you can get away with a lighter load. I probably shoot more 38s than everything else put together but a Dillon 750 makes loading a lot faster. That's usually +P power level in .38 Special. The cases are large enough that they can be easily manipulated by inexperienced hands and yet small enough to not require much force in the sizing stage. Three in particular proved as good as their longstanding reputations would indicate. is limited to either the various Charter Arms models, or as a training/target load in a .44 magnum size handguns. I first started reloading 40+ years ago at a Lee Loader in .38 Special for a brand new Smith & Wesson Model 66 I had just purchased. 1995-2022. A significant difference in speeds is usually noted. Each of the classic loads is also economical. Posted March 2, 2013. Agree 100% since I reload and shoot it since years, lost count. Ive probably picked up 300 cases of .38 the past few months and will continue to grab them as I see them, but whats nice is I can shoot more and put that money towards brass for .32 or .45 Colt, stuff that I never see at the range. It seems to burn completely in the .38 and is not as critical as the faster powders like Bullseye. Anyone that uses a J frame S&W should seriously think about swapping grips, and finding which set works for them. I have two editions of it from different years that have that data. Bullseye is primarily associated with .38 and .45after all, it says right on the bottle: Great for .38 Special and .45 Auto target loads. But it is equally at home in high-velocity auto loads. For 3 that actually doesnt kick too badly. My M60 came w/ factory banana grips- open back, long enough for pinkie rest but too small in girth behind the trigger guard. defensive ammo. 357 Magnum 35,000 Just an FYI. I prefer the slower burning Unique, and I also use it for .357 magnum, just more of it. Only need cast when driving up to 1200 fps or so. I have done it with 38 special and 44 Mag, only to have a lead coated bore that looked like a rusty old drain pipe. 158 gr. A revolver shooting .38 SPL only requires the power of your finger to make it fire and can thus be loaded with ammo that is extremely mild or hotter than hot. This produces about 550-650fps from a 1 7/8 barrel and feels like shooting a very powerful .22LR. It is easy to load in progressive presses and has commercially available options from virtually all modern manufacturers. Based on this Id load some at 3.3 and 3.5 and see what you get, but Id never exceed 3.8 ever. In fact, in the past I specifically sought out revolvers chambered in 38 SPL only, knowing I would never be putting a 357 Mag in it (I carried a 4 GP100 chambered in 38 SPL as a duty sidearm in the early 90s). Times across steel plate racks and many of my standard drills with the 200-grain SWCs rival my best easy-shooting 9mm results. Of course, these will be used in a revolver. But I think I was still loading the cases from that first box when I quit loading 18 years later! Last time we took it to the range, I was trying to cycle the old +P ammo to load standard Lehigh ammo, I fired one shot, put the gun down and cursed while shaking my hand. (bullseyeforum.net). Great to get the Mrs out there! Easiest way is casting lines and a sprue mark on nose or base. Forget about it. RN, 158 gr. Rookie, back in the day when I was reloading I went through a 3 round butt L. Horton special model 24, a 4 24 and a 4 624. Load cut these cards at five yards out of this Model 15. .38 Special Load Data - PowderThrough.com Installed some wood boot grips, modified them with grooves at the bottom of each side panel, similar to those on Pach. Word to the wise: all handgun cartridges (with the likely exception of .44 Magnum and maybe even .357 Magnum) are underpowered for self-defense. 38 special , bullseye, and 125 grain lead rnfp Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting : The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and . Great Cast Lead Bullet for IDPA. .38 Special is a lot more comfortable in a service size revolver like my Model 10. Bullseye Select A Caliber or Gauge Below To View Recipes. In my area, Bullseye is one of the first powders to disappear from shelves, lasting about a heartbeat longer than an econo bulk box of .22 Long Rifle ammunition. Main fame for the .38 is now the J frame size revolvers, as a CCW gun. The 919 case is tapered and therefore wider at the base than the .38 special is. Go figure. A chameleon depending on your loads and the barrel length or action its fired from. I miss those days. Just got back into reloading 38 special again after a long hiatus with no revolver, and was instantly reminded of what a joy it is to reload. 110gr JHP! It will then fit in your 38 Special gun. want me to write up an article about 3d printed .38 special bullets that Ive been working? 4.0 gr. One cool load Im working on is two pellets of 000 Buck. . Read my very long thread about "DR loads that don't suck". I think you will find since the .38 special is headspaced on the rim your case length is very important to achieve your best accuracy. It also shows that the loads were established using a 6" barrel, so regardless of what any published data shows, the chances of ever finding published data for the exact projectile and barrel length you are using, as well as the exact conditions you will be shooting in, would be nearly impossible. Larry Gibson "Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing." Nikola Tesla 01-30-2020, 01:43 PM #9 Mr_Flintstone Boolit Buddy Join Date Jan 2020 Location I have found that some powder coated bullets which are the same weight as lead, feel quite punchy out of the gun. Bullseye is one of the oldest smokeless pistol powders and still one of the most popular. As for the load ya the 158gr will probably take a little more, but your gun will tell you how much more.. 5.0 gr unique with berry's 125gr = .38 Special squibs (solved - AR-15 3 1/2" average not included flyers which seem to happen on every group test. I've tried 2.8, 3.0, and 3.2. Both have fed 100% in a variety of pistols and have shot very well. Both are excellent fight stoppers. I wish Id had a commercial version of this load in my ammo allocation when we were tasked with getting classes of students up to special operations standards with the issue custom 1911s. These grips seem quite comfortable and afford a pinkie finger rest for improved control albeit with a certain loss of concealability. Reloading Data .38 Special (Alliant Data) Metallic - Load Data This load chugs downrange at 750 feet each second and functions standard recoil springs with no issue. The Pistol a Smith and Wesson model 27-2 The goal is two fold. When you say "not working" can you be more specific? I just bought some 158 gr SWC bullets that are pure lead. Case life is excellent, especially for mild loads. What I learned after 50 years of shooting and reloading 38spl cases some where around 100 thousands rounds. 10,870. I love a nice, full-size .357 Magnum on the range because it is so easy to train new shooters on. This is good, because the snub takes a lot of practice to have a consistent capability. AA#2 is about the same burn rate, but burns much cleaner with less smoke in my guns. Reloading .44 Spl. for 38 special The Model 19 is fine with .38s but mildly uncomfortable with .357s. Regulator, SBSS #2255, Pawnee Station, Ro I & II. How can I tell if they are cast or swaged? Midway has it in stock. Swaged bullets do not have the hardness of poured (cast) lead. Your previous content has been restored. Midwest Supply Group. MAGTECH 38SPL 125 FMJ FLAT 50/1000 Minnesota. .38 J frame.) These loads are for my wife's revolver. My Ruger LCR .357 Magnum is pleasant to shoot even with full pressure loads. Fast burning and consistent Economical and accurate Principal Purpose: Handgun loads Remarks: America's best known pistol powder. All right are Reserved Reload Ammo, Reloading The .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), hi=849 lo=728 ES=122 (powder up and down), hi=821 lo=684 ES=137 (powder up and down), hi=815 lo=637 ES=178 (powder in normal positions), hi=714 lo=549 ES=165 (powder up and down), hi=758 lo=693 ES=65 (powder up and down)(DO NOT USE LESS), Hi=886, Lo=861, ES=25 (This is a Carolina Cast bullet SWC-great cowboy load), hi=859 lo=743 ES=116 *(my personal medium load), hi=875 lo=685 ES=190.2(powder up and down), hi=710 lo=497 ES=213 (powder up and down), hi=791 lo=625 ES=166 (Powder up and down), hi=785 lo=670 ES=115 (powder up and down), hi=801, low=766 ES=35.32 in Contender 14 bbl. I tried 10 shots of each: 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.7. The .38 Special remains very popular for personal protection and Michelle Hamilton shares her thoughts on the top loads for concealed carry, like this 158-grain SWCHP FBI Load, based on her testing. Thanks to all for the info. Powder coating. Never ransom rested it, but held 10 ring off sandbags. Thanks for the start load Power Pistol will run lower pressures for the same velocity than W-W 231. It has been many years since I used a Lee Loader and a wooden mallet to reload 8mm Mauser. You may end up with one "not" clearing the barrel. You will find plenty of Red Dot loads there. During my first half century on this planet, my caliber of choice for defense was 45 ACP- but for everything else it was always 38 SPL. You gotta try the S&W M342 Airlight TI. Going up to 3.9 Gr for +P. Hollow points are not. Ive been reloading and shooting for over 40 years and love revolvers but 90% of the time my carry gun is a Sig 365 with a 12 round mag and a spare. That blunt-ended bullet cut a clean hole all the way through whatever its modest velocity allowed it to penetrate. As I researched loads in the meantime, I kept seeing the same several popping up again and again in sources from as recent as yesterday to long out of print books from when air travel was a newfangled wonder. 38 Special, all bullet weights Bullet Powder Weight Powder Velocity OAL Primer Source 110gr JHP! Recoil is the good kind that reminds the shooter handguns are serious tools but without eliciting a flinch. If all you practice with is the easy comfortable stuff, its not really practice. Try. Any hotter and we get into a recoil issue. I dont bother polishing my .38 brass because I just dont let it fall in the mud or dirt. As a result, Ive been able to spend far more time practicing with it rather than fussing with it. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The 38 Special Ball round was designed a long time ago to comply with specifications laid down for ammo that was : 1) Compliant with the Hague Accords of 1907 in regard to "unnecessarily" injurious ammunition. 6.) Clear editor. Taurus model 66 38 special/Bullseye/125 berry's bullets load test The stuff you learn shooting 20,000 reloads (on top of thousands of rounds of factory ammo) can be pretty interesting and I feel that Ive got a very good picture of what the .38 Special. Super-Accurate .38 Super Loads - Shooting Times I have tested both brass and nickel-plated cases using mild loadings and have not yet worn out a case. I have some W231 that I use for my .38 super. I'm asking the above questions because I don't want to run too hot of a load, but wasn't sure if it was ok to drop down below 2.8 as far as 2.5. I don't know what bullets you have, but Berry's recommends per their website to use hard cast data for their plated bullets. )Lastly, the .38 SPL has a very large following and materials can be had readily. Red Dot work fine for most 38 Special loads. rattlesnake of a revolver made me bleed. Content . .38 Special +P (Alliant Reloaders Guide) - Load Data Loath and Loathe are different words that mean different things. I here from quite a few that 3.5 gr of bullseye is a good load for 158 gr lead Bullets for bullseye shooting. My personal loads for practice replicate my carry. 10 for a full cylinder. Alliant Pistol/Revolver Load Data: Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data. I go with the cheap and easy shake and bake technique that requires only plastic Glad container with a lid, handful of black 6mm BBs and old toaster owen. If you're looking for a real light load that's easy to shoot, I'd just use WW's data for the W231 with a 125 gr. 125 gr plated or 125 gr lead RN. Since it hit the market 103 years ago, it has been a staple for most handloaders and the backbone of most accuracy loads in the popular calibers. I dont see much conversation on these specifics but I think Its all about the size of the explosion in the chamber. The reason I love the .38 SPL so much is because its so elastic in function. As a young man, I came into a couple of cases of hand-me-down factory mid-range wadcutters. A .38 Special mystery---what is the reason for this load? And for 99% of the actual real world needs of a citizen for self defense it will work just fine. The best part about this is that not only do you never really lose your fired cases, but you they are always in great condition. 10. I keep it under my seat in case I get an unwanted intruder and I cant get to my IWB semi auto. (Or so I have heard.). .38 Special: What I've Learned After 20,000 Rounds CorBon Self Defense, 38 Special, 125 Grain, Jacketed Hollow Point, +P, 20 Round Box 38125 SWC+GC, Anyone else using Bullseye for .38 Spl - Taurus Firearm Forum Bullseye is one of the oldest smokeless pistol powders and still one of the most popular. Bullseye or Titegroup cover 90% or more of my .38 Special loadings. Shoot cast and coated bullets and you can go much higher in load and velocity. Display as a link instead, No sh!t. Super cheap and easy to make and would likely be a very effective defense ammo against wildlife that might be a threat to me as the two balls will spread an inch or two from each other at close range. The 38 Special, practically snubnose 38 Specials, seem to do their best work with bullets right around the 155-160 grain range. Bullseye is the classic pistol powder and the backbone of many pet loads. The 158 gr cast plain base accuracy load was 4.0 gr 231 which gave 837 Fps and 15,900 psi. If there is only ONE load, it is MAX. The use of .38 +P+ level (25,000 27,500 psi) type reloads, in .357 brass. I never enjoyed touching off a 357 Mag in a K frame, and I cannot imagine the discomfort of firing it in anything smaller or lighter. YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR TIME TRIMMING THE BRASS. 38 Special 17,000 I get okay accuracy with 4.4 of W-W 231 and 125s, depending on what bullet is used. I use CCI Snake shot for two and Buffalo Bore short Barrel 130 gr. That little 9 oz. By NULLI SECUNDUS. You can't rely on this because not all variables for YOUR cases and chamber and loading length, etc. +P? Yes I do have a few of the older high quality classic revolvers not the current made Cast Iron garbage that is being vomited out today. Min Charge Max Charge Optimal Charge Bullet Make Bullet Type Primer Notes; Hodgdon - 700-X: 125 gr. People who prepare usually tend to focus on the survival basics: security/self-defense, water, food, first aid, sanitation/hygiene, knowing when to get out and when to stay put. Give me a .38 Special Recipe Please | Ruger Forum That revolver is aluminum and cannot handle the pressure of 9MM. Load it using wadcutter specs, and seat the bullet flush, like a wadcutter. Everyone here who has tried plated bullets including myself, have had disappointing results in accuracy. I'm seating to what's in my loading manual. 357 LCR in 3 inch variant. 9mm 125 grain RN Lead Hard Cast Bullet. Rated 5.00 out of 5 based on 9 customer ratings. Reloading for it came next and it has since become my favorite pistol cartridge. Reloading The .38 Smith & Wesson - Reload Ammo Hence I carry a semi-auto pistol chambered in .40 S&W. I'm still hunting for a DR load for my S&W M19-5. . Classic loads are economical. Maybe once a year I would reset everything to load up a few hundred .38 Spl for the wifes Detective Special, then right back to .357. Just look for a lead remover tool with bronze screens. Re: 38 special loads by GrumpyOldMan 11/10/2013, 4:23 pm IIRC, the NRA Action Pistol power floor is a "factor" of 125, which requires a full 1,000 fps for 125-gr bullets. A circa 1918 Colt gobbled them up, as did several other 1911s that can be particular about bullet profile. Were all familiar with the old adage, Never bring a knife to a gunfight. And while we should, The active shooter is a relatively new phenomenon in the grand scheme of things. This is not loaded 9mm ammo. Accurates No. Where many shooters quickly tire of even standard-pressure .38 in the little five-shooters, the wadcutter invites cylinder after cylinder of practice. Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide If you have the means, I highly recommend you trying one out. Alliant Powder - Bullseye Ive long since changed to a press, but that Lee Loader in its cardboard box is still in a storage box for obsolescent reloading gear. On 7/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, Bill Sahlberg said: There is nothing more accurate at PPC than 148 gr8 HBWC (lead) using 2.8 gr of 231 and a tight crimp with Starline 38 Special brass & a Federal Small pistol primer. I am loath to shoot several cylinders of standard pressure/velocity .38 Special 125 grain bullets out of a Smith and Wesson Model 642 revolver (or similar). each bullet is different for oal due to a crimp groove on most. Use the lead bullet loads with the plated and you will be fine. I find the Pachmayr Compac grips on my 640 reduce the slap of full-boat .357 to less than that on my 3 M65 (w/ wood Altamont grips) or my 4 686 (Pachmayr Gripper Professional grips.) Hornady also has load data for the 110-grain .357 XTP for the lower-pressure .38 Automatic. Horrible 5-12" groups at 25 yds. BrianEnos.com What sort of wildlife are you thinking would be a good application for this self-defense load? Recoil in that gun is less than most 45 ACP 1911s I have shot, and its still got around 500-600ft lbs of energy which is more than enough for feral hogs around the ranch back home. I've tried Berry's plated as well as Remington. The .38 ammo is more common to find than the .44 ammo, so that is a big reason to reload the .44. Like almost all pistol cartridges called ".38" the .38 Special actually takes .357" diameter bullets. butt 686 shipped w/ Hogue monogrips, discarded immediately due to pronounced finger grooves. Is it considered safe to down load a cartridge that far under starting? 2 and No. I do this for my .357s but this article is about .38 Special loads. So I expect recoil would be substantial and not very target-ish. Alliant listed 3.6 gr Bullseye as maximum (15000 psi) in 38 Special and 3.8 as max in 38 Special PLUS P (17000 psi) with 158 LSWC bullets. Click there and go to the load data lookup section . Especially if you reload. Classics go well together: circa 1909 S&W .38 Special and traditional 148-grain wadcutter load of 2.7 grains of Bullseye.