To each their own. Or, you can head down to your local Off-Road performance shop and have something custom done. toyotanation.com is an independent Toyota enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. This doesnt really come into play unless you are looking at long travel suspension lift kits and are seriously looking for a wide range of travel. THEY ARE STOUT! 3.94" diameter compared to stock 4.83 mm - had to machine front cover for slight interference with a cast rib) Belt: Gates K080855 (8 rib, 85.5 . Toyota 4Runner Fitments: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 Toyota 4Runner with 4.0L V6 & 2.7L I4 engines. Before there were security cameras on everyones houses and inside vehicles, everyone wanted a car alarm and remote start. Am I missing something here or am I mistaken? Although, the KDSS is superior on many levels when it comes to on-road performance. A 3.8 is definitely the more powerful option. Yeah for sure, the 3rd Ge 4Runner is so hot. When I was a kid my father, Craig, restored Early Ford Mustangs and Broncos in beautiful Wheatridge, Colorado. Just letting you know that the 1st gen 4runner also has a power roll down back window as well. It isnt exactly often that you have to consider things like engine swaps in a Toyota pickup. Radiator: Stock Toyota 4Runner, core size 20"W x 19"T x 2"D. Fan: 16" Clutched mechanical fan. I have had a few major repairs last year, but well worth spending the money keeping this vehicle. Theres a lot of first gen tacomas that could use RSG sliders. Mine is a 2007SR5, v6, 420,000 miles. The dual overhead camshaft design of the 3.4L lends itself to fuel efficiency and the opportunity for more power upgrades. Last year I got my 3rd 4R. FYI Tweak'd Performance can do the harness. Not sure if I should put some $$$ into it or get sell it. Ive used it a lot since and flawless performance and install. Toyota diesel engines models: 2L's, 2L-T's, 3L's and 5L 's for sale in the greater Los Angeles area: Engine Trend Inc George 4515 S.Soto Street Los Angeles,CA 90058 USA Ph: 1-800-939-3295 Ph: (323) 589-2844 www.enginetrend.com Spector Offroad Marv 21600 Nordhoff St Chatsworth,CA 91311 USA Ph: (818) 882-1238 www.sor.com Reseda Engines in Northridge Like everyone else wish v8 came as an option. A General Overview of the1st Gen Toyota 4Runner (1984-1989), 1st Gen 4Runner Shot Cred: @Rockymtn4Runner. I still try to sell my self on this one, though. Rock Sliders! Love my RSG sliders. KDSS with all of these features, though, is handsomely rewarding on-road and general off-road use, its just a pain in the ass to work around sometimes. LS Swapping a Toyota 4Runner (5.3 into a 3rd Gen) - YouTube A fully converted engine via YotaShop.com. Just got my first 4th gen 4Runner with less than 100K. Cheers, Toby! I am very interested, the only other cars I would rather have would be a G class of which I have owned 3, 2 g550 bi turbos, and the G63 AMG with 50k in RennTech aftermarket upgrades, the old school Land Rover defender 110, and my current obsession the new Rivian all electric off-road SUV. While both the v6 and the v8 are 300-500k engines, theres a known problem with the v6 head-gaskets from 2003-2005. When you are on a trail, the power comes in incredibly handy in almost every situation. Instead of a 4cyl being the smaller engine you now have the choice of a 4.0 6cyl or the sought after 4.7l v8. can i swap a 2nd gen 4 runner in my 90 hilux camper? And the mpgs at 7000 feet was stunning. The most difficult part to source for this swap is the bell housing. You need more power, more reliability, and better overall performance. . Its a 1990 ToyotapickupDLX with SAS leafs all around. People use the wrong nomenclature for the 5.3L, prob because they want to feel included by saying they LS swapped it. Just lay it out and outline the price. While were talking about the brands, you might be asking yourself whats the difference between RSG Offroad and RSG Metalworks? Great article! It has been rebuilt from the block up twice. We just got the 20220 TRD pro. So if rot begins to occur, you will have to find another 1st Gen 4Runner for quarters and floors and other common rot areas. There is so much out there on every generation 4Runner but we didnt feel like you could find it in one place. RSG (Remote Start Guys) started in 2012 in a 2 bay warehouse in Wheatridge and we specialized in remote starts, automotive repair, and installing suspension systems on Jeeps, Dodges, Fords, and some Toyotas. This is an awesome articals! This for some is unthinkable while some of the newer 5th Gen folk may not even know what manual is. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. 150 feels under powered 116 is just sad. As I can commonly put this, KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System) is a system of hydraulic lines that stabilize your 4Runner on-road and senses when wheels drop or you have slippage off-road. I just cant see spending money on another 2.4 or rebuilding this 140lb motor if I can get 200 lbs for nearly the same money. 3.0L V6 3VZ-E to 3.4L V6 5VZ-FE Engine Swap (2nd Gen 4Runner) - Part 3 Great read, and great photography. It was the easiest for me to work on, but then again I have been driving it forever now so. It causes oil to leak into cylinder 6 and cause a misfire. Now for the 2nd Gen 4Runner fun stuff. I was looking at an LQ9 that was local to me at the time. Mike Williams (@bonebroke_pro) 2015 TRD Pro 7. Engine Swap Kit Toyota / Scion / Lexus Truck Hilux/Tacoma - CXRACING i almost put the 383(chevy) in my 92 4runner. Nice job. HAHA that'll be a hard pass from me dawg. KDSS was introduced in the 5th Gen 4Runner. I put in new brushes and kept using it until I got rid of that truck. For the Tuning we used Viktor G, you can find him on YouTube as Viktor G. If youre looking for modern but fully capable, both the 4th and 5th Gen 4Runners are amazing vehicles. When can we expect a T-Case and Crossmember Skid Plate? An Off-Road Overview of the2nd Gen Toyota 4Runner (1989-1995), 2nd Gen 4Runner Shot Cred: @reedhuettlphotography. LS Swapping a Toyota 4Runner (5.3 into a 3rd Gen) Syrus54 12.4K subscribers Subscribe 98K views 6 years ago [2nd Gen 4runner, Body-Swapped with a 3rd Gen Pickup] Unlike anyone elses. Not sure if this is remotely a possibility, couldn't find any threads on it. These crossover pipes are a direct bolt up to the factory 2:1 section with the 02 sensor mount. Ive done an EMU lift, 33 tires and CBI bumper and skids. 5VZ Swap- Toyota 3.4L 5VZ-FE into 4Runner or Pickup Truck Engine Swap Install Kit (Kit-3030). You'll also likely have to deal with hood clearance issues as the 3.4L engine sits higher and hits the hood when its closed. OK, Ill just come out and say it, I want this entire build!! The 4.0 6cyl 4th Gen 4Runner is perfect if you want a daily driver offroad rig because you can do modifications and still keep the 6cyl mpg, unlike the v8. Trail 4Runner participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links or to other retailer sites from Trail4Runner.com. The 4.0 6cyl4th Gen 4Runner does not have any major issues but always be sure to thoroughly look it over. Probably 99-2002 but there are really nice 96-98 4Runners out there as well. Thank u a lot. With the 22re 1st Gen 4Runner, you will have a wide range of aftermarket parts as well, which we will get to soon. If you want to buy something upgraded out the gate, you may want to purchase the TRD Pro as it comes with upgradedBilstein TRD tuned Suspension. With the newest generation 4Runner comes a whole new look yet again and a new chassis. Does any one know an easy way to do this swap? We will also be going over available Off-Road upgrades for each model (1st-5th Gen) and the benefits of each model. 1st gen taco ls swap? But even with a 4.3, you can run a W56 and duals. Youre probably thinking of the crossover pipe at the back of the engine that some people think caused the head gasket to go, but thats not true. Unless you happen to find the special 22re turbo 1st Gen 4Runner, but thats an entire blog post on its own. Which includes engines that arent necessarily made by Toyota. Rock crawling is my prime objective, but some man made OHV parks get thrown in from time to time.. Ways To Tell if the Fuel Pump in Your Toyota Is Failing, The History and the Future of the Toyota Tacoma, 5 Toyota Tacoma Upgrades You Need To Know About. The dual overhead camshaft design of the 3.4L lends itself to fuel efficiency and the opportunity for more power upgrades. This is the signature 4Runner. The 5.7L V8 Engine Swap was from a 2013 Tundra. It's already an option in the transmission gear set. This is really awesome! Transmission. For the 3rd Gen, in your opinion which is the best year? My second one died from cancer. Is that a peckerwood hand jester in one of your pic? If you decide on buying a 5th Gen though, a stock SR5 can be heavily modified cheaper than buying one of the special models but it depends on what you want. If you really want to step things up with your 5th Gen, you should consider an adjustable suspension system. His shop, his family, his team everyone he works with was just genuinely cool and incredibly humble. My personal conclusion that is if you want something older but with more of a variety of upgrades purchase a 3rd Gen 4Runner. Some have 4wd, and some have 4wd with locker. 5th Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (2010-2024), 4th Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (2003-2009), 3rd Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1996-2002), 2nd Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1990-1995), 1st Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1984-1989), Starter Replacement & Rear Shock Replacement, Installing aftermarket radio with switch panel, Radiator Replacement/Tranny Cooler Install, 2UZ-FE (V8) Power Steering Pump Replacement and Fluid Flush, Reverse Lights (In Reflectors/Under the bumper), Meet Jason From RSG and His T40R, A 5.7L V8 SAS 5th Gen 4Runner (trail4runner.com), Exterminators Choice - Rodent Defense Spray for Cars and Trucks - Non-Toxic Deterrent for Pest Control - Repels Mice and Rats - Vehicle Protection - Safe for Kids and Pets (32 Ounce), Genuine Toyota Accessories PT925-89110 Running Board , Black, Tukellen for Toyota Key Fob Cover,Special Soft TPU Key Case Protector Shell Compatible with Tundra Tocoma Sequoia 4Runner Highlander RAV4 Camry Corolla Avalon (only for Keyless go)-Black, iJDMTOY 9005 9145 HB3 H10 Heavy Duty Ceramic Wiring Harness Sockets Compatible With Headlights or Fog Lights. There are many fabrication companies that make stunning products for the 2nd Gen 4Runner. I used to have a 3rd gen and I will always love that simple body style that Toyota made, but the new ones are pretty dang sexy.Love these photos too! WOW, I knew my 98 Limited was made in Japan, but didnt know 4th Gen Runners were too! That engine did not debut until the 2nd gen 4runner. Experience improved power and performance each time you hop on the accelerator with these 2010-2023 Toyota 4Runner Engine Parts & Upgrades! Brenan is the founder of Trail4R.com, Toyota guy through and through, verified nature lover, lightweight photographer, exploration enthusiast, and certified serial blogger. The 4Runner body was not designed to contain the sound level that a supercharged V8 pushes out. And don't say they wont fit because its already been done multiple times. but you gotta have a patience. We will say the factory Independent Front Steering/Suspension (IFS) handles Off-Road well in 2nd Gen 4Runner like it does in the 1st Gen 4Runner and the later generations as well. Every generation of 4runner has offered a V6 engine. Most offroad version vehicles have factory skid plates so thats better than nothing. An absolute beast and the greatest vehicle Ive owned to date! In this 4 part video series, we are going to walk you through all the steps necessary to remove the stock 3.0 Liter 3VZ-E V6 engine out of your 2nd Gen 4runner and replace it with a 3.4 Liter. The 2nd Gen 4Runner, now with the more common 3.0 maintained good mpg and had slightly more power than the previous/current 22re 4cyl engine. Thanks. Congrats on the new addition, Shane! Derrik Bustos (@djbustos) 2016 Limited 6. Thanks a million. Great article with tons of information!! Thanks for the heads up. Im trying to buy a 1992 Toyota 4Runner for a donor truck for my 1997 4Runner for $200 is this a good deal or what? Its pretty great. My engine guy had to throw the whole short block out; it was unsalvageable. The 3rd Gen 4Runner has an optional supercharger for more power but without it, the 3.4 still has more power than the 22re and the 3.0. This video is a general video to establish a general understanding of the mounting and frame modifications.. I dont think I need to go into any more details on this amazing build. Overall The 3rd gen 4Runner is where mainstream and mass-produced aftermarket upgrades really started. Copyright var date = new Date(); document.write(date.getFullYear()) Stage3Motorsports.com. This is the first of 2 videos. We even carry a handful of superchargers that allows you to further enhance and tune the way your engine performs. With all my heart and soul, this is where Trail4Runner.com passion started. Not sure whats up with that but its flattering when I get offers like 5K for my 4runner which has 212,000 miles on it and runs amazing. LIGHTDIMS Original Strength - Light Dimming LED Covers and Light Dimming Sheets for Routers, Electronics and Appliances and More. (and chrome is ugly in my opinion). It took quite a while to create this overview on 4Runner and just the overall history of 4Runners in general. But always good to acquire information so not going in blind. We received over 200 images for this post on Instagram and selected the ones you see above. Your article sealed it for me. Id also avoid leather as the cloth seats wear very well with little maintenance. A few of the products RSG Metalworks Offers: I dont think we will add much to our lineup except for a rear skid option. Welcome to part 1 of the 4th gen 4runner LS swap. If you want to see the best video on 4Runner history, check this video out! First step would be to get measurements on the frames and verify the engine/trans mounts are in the same locations, etc. This can allow for some interesting mods. thanks Warren, but the 3.0 has many issues with a common head gasket issue due to the exhaust drying them out. gen. unless you go to the top of the line model and then you get stuck with a bunch of expensive and unnecessary stuff. Thanks. Our next adventure, Lord Willing is to Moab and exploring the back country. They took it so far and I really love it. After youve swapped out your engine, be sure to visit our website for a wide selection of quality OEM parts, even for older 4Runners. Keeping your truck in tip-top shape will do nothing for the life of the head gaskets. Both of these guys are a pillar part of the RSG family and it shouldnt go unoticed. Also, look at salvage title but check the VIN. Vendor specials, free gear, giveaway notifications, group buys and more! Yo!! Hopefully, the blog finds you well. Thank you to everyone who contributed, shared photos, and was cool enough to be cool about what we are doing here on Trail4R.com. It has a leaking rear passenger side seal and I never upgraded the brakes, really should have the Tundra brake upgrade done on it.. Its a 44 with rear locker and I put Bilsteins on it.. What lift, tire, wheel combo is that on the second gen 4Runner? Which year do you think is the best? Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by allthescottsweretaken, Mar 21, 2019. Ive been trying to decide which 4Runner will be the best for what I need it for, and this article has helped me make that decision. All Toyota 4Runners were built on the Pickup's two-door, short-bed platform. Yeah I wasn't expecting the Engine ECM to be the same. Its Toyota solid axle conversion kits are user-friendly and affordable, packed with all the parts you need to perform your upgrade. 4th Gen 4runner Tacoma Front End Swap - Prerunner - YouTube An Off-Road Overview of the3rd Gen Toyota 4Runner (1996-2002). Thank you! This is the original motor that is 27 years old with over 300k on it. Drivetrain. Some of the most common items you will find in the mod section are performance topics, armor andincreasing strength off-road, lighting and wiring, roof racks, sliders, along with a wide variety of other miscellaneous items. A General Overview of the4th Gen Toyota 4Runner 2003-2009, 4th Gen 4Runner Shot Cred: @uncharteredmedia Driver: @augustconte. We covered KDSS and really praised it. Yeah, I agree. We Cover The Basics To Get You Started! Talk to the guys at your local 44 shop, theyll be able to tell you. Granted these are for gear heads that want power. For offroad upgrades, the 4th Gen 4Runner is really similar to all the upgrades the 3rd Gen 4Runner has available. The last year of the 1st Gen 4R is an 89 which saw the first 3.0 v6 in the last half of that production year. Tell us about it onFacebook! Input shaft seal?? I really enjoyed this read, but I have to be honest. This kit provides you with the necessary parts to complete a 3.4L conversion. Ships From Manufacturer. But, there are plenty of them out there for spare parts so its not a major concern like 1st and 2nd Gen 4Runners. Brenan is the founder of Trail4R.com, Toyota guy through and through, verified nature lover, lightweight photographer, exploration enthusiast, and certified serial blogger. Just lookour overview of the TRD Pro over the TRD Off-Road and decide for yourself. After almost 18 years of ownership, the odometer is at 406,000 klm (252,000 miles) and I still enjoy driving it, like the first day I bought it. If you have any questions, please let us know. Do a search here or on yotatech.com or on 4x4wire for starters. If it fits then there's maybe a way. Submodel Fitments: SR, SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, Limited, TRD Pro. I laugh thinking about that thread on T4R.org.. what did you do to your 5th Gen today oh just swapped a V8 and then supercharged it. The 3rd Gen offers ARB and other lockers if your 3rd gen did not come with them from the factory. Thanks a lot for taking time to create this accurate and informative article. The 3rd Gen 4Runner only came in a 4 door option unlike the previous generations, so the 3rd Gen 4Runner is 100% SUV. First off lets discuss the 4th gen 4Runner's T case. Anyone swap in a 1UR-FE (GX460) engine into a 5th Gen 4runner - Toyota Yeah, thats the prob. Luxury items are more apt to fail with age. This Weeks Topic: Amber Off-Road Lighting Hey guys, welcome back, Canvasback Rear Hatch Cover For 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner: Protect Your Truck From Daily Wear & Tear Install, Review & Overview 5th 4Runner owners love how much utility the, Tight Lines 2 x 2 Magnetic Fishing Rod/Pole Transport System Review & Roof Rack Modification For The 5th Gen 4Runner Fishing rods are an investment for any angler. Crossover pipe has been high temp powder coated black to protect pipe from rust and insure a long life. Everyone always asked what Id do next to the 40 and I always said Tundra 5.7 swap. Thx for sharing. It would, however, be very interesting to see the end results. This keeps all systems functioning properly. We machined the knuckles to fit the 5th gen 4Runner calipers and machined some parts in house to adapt the KDSS system. For the 3rd Gen 4Runner, there are tons of aftermarket upgrades for offroading. Interesting suggestions, indeed. Plus I have their rock sliders and theyve held up perfect. Now if the 1st Gen 4Runner isnt something you fancy but you still want an older 44 to go Off-Roading in, the 2nd Gen 4Runner is for you. But dont let the 4.0 fool you. Luckily I only scrubbed through the video. my 92 budget build. I love it, strong 4.0 L six, and great low end. When and where did your automotive life start? 5 Must-Have 4Runner Mods 1. If you ever have any questions, let me know. I guess I might have to take some measurements to see if it's possible to keep the front drivetrain. They featured a removable top and sported a 2.4L I4 engine that produced less than 100 hp. Also offered were a 2.4L I4 turbo and 3.0L V6, each produced 135 and 150 hp, respectively. The amount of time exceeds the amount of money I think at this point. There are also a few tricks to KDSS that make mods easier. It really has to be THE best 4Runner in history. Copyright 2023 Trail4Runner.com Trail Made Co. |. Love it. Toyota Turbo-Diesel Swap in 4Runner | Toyota Nation Forum There are many reasons to perform this engine swap, but the main reasons have to do with performance and reliability (and whose not interested in that? There are many Straight-Axle Swap Kits available for the later 1st Gen 4Runners as well. Brian, Yeah, I remember that about my 3rd gen, the brakes sucked. Plasticolor 000543R01 Black Off Road Scene Easy Fit Mud Guard 11" - Set of 2, Portable Car Radio with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, Wireless Car Stereo 7" IPS TouchScreen Car Radio with Bluetooth Hands-Free/Mirror Link/Google and Siri Assistant, Dash or Windshield Mounted, Lockitt POSI-TAP Assortment pack wire connectors 10-22 awg. If you can get your hands on a 4th generation V8, I highly recommend this vehicle. In the5th Gen 4Runner Mods section, we talk about everything 5th Gen. Everything from small additions to large and custom aftermarket DIY installs. (Frame rotted out) My 3rd one is still kicking. Of course, price and availability play a big role. 4runner Diesel engine swap - YouTube The only difference is there are no longer roll cage kits for sale as commonly as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens. Good news is that they fixed the head gasket in 2006, or once you have the hg replaced (about $4k) its good to go. A question commonly asked in the Off-Roading 4Runner world or for 4Runners in general. Now if youre in the market for something that is offroad capable while being brand new or fairly used, the 5th Gen is the one for you. Ruby Villalobos (@bitchinbetty4r) 2019 SR5 8. We drove that truck home, made sure it ran right and then pulled it apart. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); [] surprised the heck out of both of us (Herself more than me, I think). pats for sale as well, 92 fourrunner swap 3.0 L standard Engine Swap compatibility. First released in August of 1996 the 3rd Gen 4Runner yet again had a whole new design along with a new chassis including new driveline options. Picture Credit: Most of these photos were shot and edited by RSG Metalworks employees and fellow Toyota owners; David Todd aka @TrailboundT4R, and Ryan Strate aka @RyanStratePhoto. So is it possible to swap rear differential with the FJ cruisers differential which already comes with rear locker.? The vehicle turns so effortlessly and easy makes it a joy to drive. Wow super in depth breakdown of each 4Runner generation! Essentially they are the same transmission, but Toyota won't let you use the 6th gear in the 4Runner. It was really cool to get to see both of the RSG shops and I was honestly incredibly impressed with what Jason has built. With the addition of the 4.7l v8, the 4th Gen 4Runner is perfect if you want a beast on the trails. Use an older Jeep 4-cylinder bell housing from an ax5 trans and turn a long pilot bushing and it will bolt to your transmission. The 3rd Gen 4Runner did keep the rear hatch with roll down window like the 2nd Gen 4Runner. Depending on the situation, I would really want a stock 4Runner to choose my own bumpers, sliders, and skids. If you can get a grill from a base model, they have no chrome on them; theyre easier to paint. Anything is possible! So, if you use this as a 44 always be sure to make sure everything is in tip-top shape so you dont break down your rig or blow a head gasket. The Flanges are countersunk to use the same round factory style exhaust gaskets for a factory type seal.. As time went on people started to request more parts such as armor and RSG was reselling other armor companies parts such as RCI, Hefty, CBI, C4 Fabrication, and others. 5VZ Swap- Toyota 3.4L 5VZ-FE into 4Runner or Pickup Truck Engine Swap My 1st was a 4Gen (06), 2nd was a 5th (11) and now a 2015. Some exceptions apply, please see individual product pages for specific fitments. 5-Speed Automatic. After the swap was up and running we had the exhaust done by a local shop and Toyota re-calibrated the ECU with Toyota supercharged TRD firmware so we could access the additional tables provided with that firmware with HP Tuners and then the Magnuson Supercharger was installed and the Tuning process began. (The previous owner ran it out of oil, so that doesnt count.) It's possible the only way would be to convert to a solid front axle and lift the truck high enough to clear everything to get the driveshaft to the pinion yolk. Stock, the 1st Gen 4Runner has good gas mileage with a 19mpgcity and 23 highway but the 22re is pretty sluggish compared to later years. In fact, its pretty straightforward. First, lets start with the classic 1st Gen 4Runner, first released in May of 1984, and spawned from the from Toyota Trekker (Pre 4Runner a collaboration between Toyota and Winnebago). Regearing to 4.56 Gears on the 5th Gen 4Runner Thank you so much for putting this info together in one article. The A760F transmission shares everything except one clutch function, the solenoid set on the bottom, and possibly the ECU? The 5th Gen does not come off-road ready out of the gates. Additionally, a GX460 Radiator was swapped in. New 2nd Gen owner. In our opinion, the 3rd Gen 4Runner, as of 2015-2017, is probably one of the go-to off-road 4Runners.