Submaximal Sprint Around 90% to find rhythm, Tyreek Hill 105-yard kickoff return for touchdown (penalized for holding) 10.39 m/s, Tyreek Hill 86-yard kickoff return for touchdown 10.18 m/s, Desean Jackson 59-yard pass reception for touchdown 10.10 m/s, Xavier Rhodes 100-yard interception return for touchdown 10.01 m/s, Brandin Cooks 45-yard pass reception for touchdown 10.01 m/s, Clark, K. P., Rieger, R. H., Bruno, R. F., & Stearne, D. J. Coleman is LEGIT. One poster on T&FN forum suggested you can extrapolate a 100m using 2 x 60m time minus 3 sec, which to me just doesnt add up. The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; So, dont ditch the acceleration workjust dont forget to include the maximum velocity work! (2017) paper of percentages of relative maximum velocity for every position at the 2016 NFL Combine. You can adopt flying sprints and utilize them with football players simply by changing meters into yards. If we perform three repetitions, we consider the total volume from flying sprints as 120 yards. Though many forms of overspeed training are certainly very risky, technology devices like the 1080 Sprint have now made it possible to train overspeed in a very controlled setting. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behaviour or unique IDs on this site. reveal that all players operated near or above 90% of their maximum velocity. From this test, we can easily calculate maximum velocity, which is the true indicator of a players speed. Kim Collins PB is 9.96. To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. I would say 4.6 handtime over 40 yards is about right. Online calculator to convert yards per hour to miles per hour (yd/h to mph) with formulas, examples, and tables. Select a conversion type and the desired units. How do you convert 60 yard dash to 40 yard dash? Running Conversion Calculator | Track & Field and Cross Country Event ), and a 30-yard run-up for all other players may be acceptable. For example: 155-6.5 would be 155 feet and 6.5 inches. i mean i think they would run faster at a shorter distance than a 100m obviously but he has every other sprinting record why not go for it? You can argue the new rule of no false starts plus the use of electronic sensor pads puts sprinters to a disadvantage. There's no need to account for acceleration when comparing a 100m time to a 40yd time as long as you do so by the split times as was done. Running Conversion Calculator - Cross Country and Track & Field A meter, or metre, is the fundamental unit of length in the metric system, from which all other length units are based. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; I think hes worth considering!. http://www.flotrack.org/article/52904-john-ross-4-22-40-yard-dash-record-is-not-that-fast#.WQiCyXm1vIU. If you have 11 guys chasing after you to stop you from scoring the winning. Admittedly, this is not my area of expertise and something that I still need to research and practice before I can speak comfortably about it. How far is 60 yards in meters? Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. that if we can just push the distance to 15-20 yards, there may be tremendous implications for improving maximum velocity in our football players. The general consensus is that there's no effective calculator to make conversionsdefinitely not from 60m to 200m. Great article, thank you! All of which is remarkable because as objective gauges of reality go, 40-yard-dash times fall somewhere between Take 60m time and multiply by. I'm trying to tell whether they need to work more on their acceleration or their speed endurance. Not really apples and apples comparison. It may be safe to say that sprinting over distances equal to or greater than 20 yards, performed with maximal intensity, are reflective of top speed training for football players. Prior to arriving at Indiana, Cameron spent 7 years in the private sector with DeFranco's Training Systems, operating as Director of Sports Performance from 2014-2020. My other projects include the Bud Winter Foundation, writer for the IAAF New Studies in Athletics Journal (NSA) and a member of the Track & Field Writers of America. Note: For Speed or Velocity conversions, US Customary Units and the Imperial System are equivalent. Since 1959, a yard has been defined as exactly 0.9144 meters. How does that equate to legit low 4.2? -complete LASER time is an electronic start and electronic finish, Most guys than run 6.75~6.95 FAT over 60 meters will run 4.3- 4.4 at the NFL Combine. Kim Collins 6.48 60m, but What Does that Mean for 100m? Even a 2.09 HJ or 7.52m LJ can make Men green with envy. Of course, space can become an issue in some facilities, but this is the reality of training for velocity improvement. Luckily for all of us, he provided me with exactly that. A conversation with James The Thinker Smith allowed me to better understand the misguided effort of measuring average velocity over very broad distances. All Rights Reserved. https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/01/christian-coleman-40-yard-dash-412-video-nfl-draft. Sprint 1 10m/s Press J to jump to the feed. Yards per hour is a unit of Speed or Velocity in both US Customary Units as well as the Imperial System. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. THE ONLY THING THAT I THINK THAT WOULD ALSO SHOW EXPLOSIVE SPEED AND ATHLETIC ABILITY IS THE { 5 CONTINUS STANDING LONG JUMPS} NFL MISSING THE BOAT HERE. It is an English unit (predecessor of imperial units) and the term was derived from "gerd" in Old English, the earliest historical form of the English language. Plenty of coaches and scientists have stressed this concept for years. Most of them were clustered in the 7.95-8.05 second range for the 60 and 12.45-12.60 for the 100. I'd agree with you on someone that runs the 200m. He recently ran the 40 in 4.12. Yards per hour to Miles per hour Conversion Example Task: Convert 250 yards per hour to miles per hour (show work) Formula: yd/h 1,760 = mph Calculations:Result: 250 yd/h is equal to 0.14204545 mph History/origin: Originally, in 1793, the meter was defined as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. Thus, if we calculate velocity for these efforts using distance over time, the units are in yards per second (yd/s) rather than in m/s. amzn_assoc_title = ""; The problem with any conversion of a 60 meter race is Super-Elite athletes today like Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay are accelerating to maximum velocity well past the 60 meter point. OT: Math equation help: Converting 55 meter time to 40 yard time Please provide values below to convert yard [yd] to meter [m], or vice versa. This is often due to the above-mentioned factors and/or insufficient ankle strength and power. If we really want to know how fast our football players are, its time for us to think bigger than the 40-yard dash. Definition: A meter, or metre (symbol: m), is the base unit of length and distance in the International System of Units (SI). The answer is yes, if you can run 0.82 for the next 40 meters with exceptional speed endurance. We can use flying 10-yard sprints to calculate maximum velocity and use split times as feedback to fuel intensity while training for acceleration and top speed. Take that time and multiply by 3.66. Ross broke Chris Johnsons long-standing record of 4.24 seconds when he crossed the finish line with a time of 4.22 seconds. (2017). There are 0.00056818 mph in yd/h. I felt based on previous world records, a conversion of 1.53 or 1.54 would give Dwain approximately 9.82 9.89 seconds for a 100 meters. 55m conversion to 40yd - ELITETRACK Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. amzn_assoc_asins = "B07ZWYRJ7Y,B00MHIWAFG,B07T2G137N,B08W8MBJFC"; By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. So, we can see that having very high raw speed will improve an athletes ability to hit better times at any given distance. In watching the Olympics, I did some surfing on the 40 yard dash. Again, we know this isnt always the case, as some players struggle to show great game speed despite having very impressive raw speed ability. 40-Yard Dash to Miles per Hour Calculator - Kyle's Converter Simply timing the 10-meter or 10-yard sprint allows you to see where your training is and how your athletes compare to the normative data. Note: For a pure decimal result please select 'decimal' from the options above the result. The yard is also used in cricket pitch dimensions, and sometimes in golf fairway measurements. Although split times correlate well with velocity, they do not always give an accurate representation of speed. In this second of a six-part series interviewing the sport practitioners set to speak at CVASPS The 2023 Seminar in July, we talk to highly respected coach Boo Schexnayder about improving S&C coaching culture, professional development, and how to design effective speed training. A 40-yard dash completed in 4.50 seconds would be about 18.18 miles per hour (mph), after rounding to two decimals. The problem with any conversion of a 60 meter race is Super-Elite athletes today like Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay are accelerating to maximum velocity well past the 60 meter point up to 70 meters. Special thanks to Dr. Kenneth Clark for helping contribute the data, graphs, and accuracy of the information provided in this article. While our goal as coaches is to help remove limiting factors to a players performance, if we are responsible for their physical development and see that they are not fast enough (based on velocity) then we owe it to them to help them get faster.