problem of dust and allergen retention and recovery. Docs cannot find nothing wrong. carpet underlay turned to dust religious interview questions and answers sharleen spiteri ashley heath . Use pliers to grab the carpet and pull it away from the subfloor. What kind of padding is under the carpet, what are its details? The wearing of a carpet can also affect its ability to retain dirt, with worn out or matted carpet releasing more dust Plus, it's a great way to use up that old carpet. If someone saw fit to cover the hardwood with carpet, the hardwood was probably a bit tired even then. Before you start work, clean and tidy the subfloor. Its just very strange its in the middle like that. Owners concerned about possible asbestos in their fiber-based carpet underlay should contact an accredited asbestos testing laboratory. It's generally the case that a soaked carpet will also leave water marks on the subfloor below. Of the 12 homes tested, one has proved positive for asbestos. Try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly. Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion. Conclusion. "EC82-2057 Carpet Care: Cleaning and Stain Removal." If on a slab, how high is it above grade? At BBMS BASKETBALL MOLD SYNDROME we report an example case in which a building owner was absolutely certain that stains on a garage ceiling were new and that they were mold that was growing in size. When I turned it around, one could see that most of the off-white designs clearly originally were rust-colored. This carpet is less than a year old, was professionally installed by Luna along with new mats under the carpet, and was their top line for not staining. The worn, darkened area on the carpet above shows significant wear from foot-traffic. I have a (new) Ikea wool rug and it does this, too. Are there water stains on the slab? Carpeting that has been wet usually is removed along with its padding and disposed of, though we have found a few cases in which carpet that was reported to have been wet was dry, un-stained, and clean at the time of our inspection. Watch out: Before testing for "toxic or allergenic mold" see these two articles. Which Rinsing Solution Works Well For Oriental Rugs? At below left you can also see the bonded coated backing of the carpeting itself - the white-coated carpet bottom at the right side of the photo. Which also means that if that stuff is dried up mold, then they carpeted right over it.which opens up a whole new can of worms. Offering a globally-inspired design that's sure to turn heads and inspire compliments, this area rug is easy to incorporate into coastal, bohemian, and retro styles alike! Mice pee indoors too, but you're not likely to see their pee as carpet stains. Steps To Remove Dirt Under Carpet Pad 1. The requirements are available here. Further testing of underlay, carpet and dust from rooms in The best comfort underlay, again belongs to Plushwalk 12mm, . Was the carpet indeed wet - ever? Moved into a rental home & not feet well light headaches/nausea. I would just scrape and sweep and not worry about it. Thank u so much, On 2021-07-05 However after pulling carpet up more & doing some cleaning g (not long) I began sweat & when went out to cool down the sweat was this smell but powerful. focusing on the causes of these carpet stains. The aluminum is coming out of the floor surface and creates a blackish grey dust. measure of the amount of soil retained or released by carpet may be either unrelated or inversely related to the Sorry about the delay and thanks again. We probably should have had the vents cleaned because we found pet hair all around the house for many months after moving in. by (mod) And they have a point. You will not receive a notification when a response to your question has been posted. If it is one corner, you might have the chance to clean up the mess and use the carpet underlay for a few more months. A stash of beautiful cinema posters dating from the 1930s and 40s that were used as a makeshift carpet underlay have sold at auction for 72,000. The standard safety precautions are to wear: Class P1 or P2 facemask; disposable overalls. Here you can see that the rebond carpet padding is also reinforced with synthetic fibers. carpet underlay turned to dust When there is dust under the carpet, it is a sign that things have to change. The stuff is powdery and uniformly white or light in color, if that helps. We do not sell anything. Black Stuff Under Carpet? Help! What is this stuff? supply registers on ceilings and walls. Good ideahas the carpet ever been wet, maybe from cleaning? Im so confused and embarrassed. ft. 4.5 ft. x 48 ft. x 1/8 in. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it? In this case we suspected that the Removal of stains from clothing and other textiles. It looks like I can only send one image, so here you go: I have a tan (ish) colored carpet and these mysterious small spotty line pattern stains keep accumulating. The wearing of a carpet is often related to the age of a carpet but not in all cases. We pulled up carpet and padding in our house. I or no one else spilled anything on the rug. Are there stains on the under-side of the carpet padding? soiling. Common dust mite allergy symptoms include sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes and itchy skin at night with the allergy often associated with . Use a brush and hoover to remove any debris and dust and, if you're laying carpet, ensure carpet grippers are fitted around the perimeter of the room. You can instead make this DIY upcycled rug ottoman and save yourself a little money. We pulled up the carpet partially and the subfloor doesnt appear stained at all below the stains nor does the pad. You can most likely confirm my opinion by showing your photos to an experienced rug expert in your area. Its a common sign indicating the underlay is starting to age and needs to be switched out. You may want to get a solid latex rubber underpad which will keep the dirt from getting to the floor. Its in a living room we dont use. So it seems the whole rug had been sun-bleached(?). Kissa, Erik. Pour the solution on the carpet padding adhesive and let it sit for 30 minutes. Any other kind of information I honestly dont have unfortunately. Vacuum any debris or loose dirt from the underlay. A dry pet stain on subfloor under new padding and new carpet might smell but wouldn't be expected to cause a visible stain on the carpet. They seem to be popping up in round patches everywhere, but only in this one room. Bonded polyurethane - recycled sliced and . Those three smaller spots are more-likely to be from a drip or spill. Carpet stains at edges of or under furniture: Similar carpet stains due to air movement, possibly exacerbated by higher moisture where there is less air circulation, may occur under couches or other furniture whose skirts or other construction details interfere with air movement, causing a lower temperature (and possibly slightly higher moisture condensation) in those areas. 1. If your carpet underlay turned to dust, its important to find out how bad the situation is. Thank you. THe light area looks as if something spilled in a spot and continued as a sort of dribble across the carpet. With this in mind, start looking at ways to clean the dust under the carpet underlay. Then, fold the carpet over itself. Floorboard gaps under carpet query! | DIYnot Forums This will get the job done and ensure the carpet sits on an underlay that is going to age gracefully. Hi- I just purchased a house, and found that in the basement bedroom, some of the carpet padding is missing- any idea what might have caused this? 100 sq. "You Never Have to Clean Bio-Pergo! Lori,Particularly because you're considering replacing the carpet with wood flooring, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by pulling up the carpet in a corner where these stains occur. - protective carpet spray left stains that won't come out with cleaning. Big patches of light colored stains are appearing randomly on my carpet. With dirt under a carpet pad or anything else, its important to take action. Please do take a look. Carpet - Underlayment - Surface Prep - The Home Depot This will help to suppress dust. Old dirty underlay thick dust / smell lingering - Screwfix Community Forum It's normal to think that something that you never noticed before today is a recent event. Western Australians concerned about possible asbestos in their carpet underlay should first identify the type of carpet padding used: for example if it is a foam product it was not made from recycled bags. Unfortunately, the fire retardant used in the foam padding of your carpet probably is polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE); it was taken off the U.S. market between 2004 and 2006, but it had been. No mouse droppings around. I'd start by looking for something above that brown spot to see if there's a drip. The large stain above originates at two walls in this room, spreads into the room, has rounded edges; we suspected that there had been a plumbing leak or other water source nearby. People most at risk were those working in the bag recycling industry[4] when hessian (burlap or jute) bags used to transport asbestos material were recycled. The home is in VA Beach and the room in question in on the second floor btw. Maybe it's just the light which I understand always bleaches blues more than other colors. but they might be rather age-related.). Our second rebond padding photo (below right) shows us exposing the subfloor below the padding in an area where the homeowner had already made carpet and padding cuts to inspect for water leakage. Is there pet hair in the HVAC ducts? Not sure what we're observing - that dark area (or is that a shadow) or the light areas in the dark area? Mid dry I noticed it looking heavy with an orange and red undertone on the corner of the entryway to the kitchen. Whatever the situation is, it is time to swap out the carpet underlay. Look for the source or potential sources of abnormal levels of indoor airborne debris, soot, particles, dust, such as a malfunctioning oil or Note: The John Wanamaker Store in King of Prussia, PA. has been cited by some asbestos-exposure and mesothelioma websites as a source of asbestos exposure to workers. It is only going to get worse and will completely disintegrate in a few months to a year. They haven't dried for says. That's characteristic of pet pee against a door, left by a pet who was desperate to be taken outside to relieve himself. The dealer himself wasn't there when I gave a down payment to his assistant and told me later he actually hadn't had in mind to sell it on the street but to give it to designers. Its common for people to avoid checking the carpet underlay until its too late. Continually swept it and have had windows open but still a stale smell of that cloying dirt/dust seems to be in the timber floorboards that haven't breathed or . Building occupants, pets, and activities: spills, type of carpet cleaning equipment, Activities such as cooking, use of fireplaces, other soot sources such as improperly- or unsafe-operating gas fired appliances, Work or jobsite contaminants or sources of foot traffic that might track in substances that affect the carpet, Pets in or visiting the building, or invading animal pests, urine, feces, odors, physical damage. Lorraine,No one but should pretend s/he could tell you by email if a product contains asbestos or not.But being somewhat foolish I'll add that if the carpet padding or backing is itself a yellowish foam it would be no surprise if deteriorated foam was producing a yellow powder. [Photos above - ed.]. and smelling stuff on the rug. "Oil take up and removal by washing from polyester, polyester/cotton blend and other fabrics." You are using an out of date browser. Above: a large greenish-black stain on carpet in a closet developed under damp laundry and was found to be mold contamination. When I tried to remove them with Vanish, I could detect a smell. On 2013-03-22 by (mod) - Old asbestos bags woven into carpet pads, JoanUse the search box found at the top or bottom of this page to search InspectAPedia for, for an extensive library of articles, photos, references on that topic, including in carpet padding. Acoustic 216 sq. Householders should take standard precautions when removing old carpet and underlay. Then cut it to the right size with the knife. Asbestos in hessian carpet underlay in NSW? - Renovate Forum Unfortunately, carpeting isn't exactly cheap, so the best step is to have underlaying or invest in carpeting that won't require underlays. Looks like left over rubber from an old rubberback carpet. When you buy carpet underlay from us you can rest assured that you are getting the best trade low carpet underlay roll prices available in the UK. (1982). The stain color, location, pattern, timing of occurrence and other factors can help figure out what's going on and how to stop it. Cleaning the floor with a damp rag will turn black. If/when we can identify an unusual source or a source producing an unusual level of particulate debris we have perhaps answered a key part of cabinets where temperatures are lower and moisture may condense at a slightly higher level. The carpet and underlay should be carefully, removed to minimise release of dust and This is why these are so bizarre to me and we have lived here 18 years no previous owners? - that the carpet was brand new when you moved-in Do not keep using the same underlay. Where possible, lightly wet the material prior to and during the removal .