Benjamin Benjamin is a name of Hebrew origin meaning "son of my days". The third most common last name in the Gem State is Anderson, the second is Johnson, and the first is Smith. Marriage records prior to 1926 found in Mississippi courthouses by the federal Works Progress Administration were indexed (using the federal Soundex Code) by grooms surnames. Moore comes from the Middle English era and means open land. Underwood has an Old English origin. American slave owners or slaveholders were owners of slaves in the United States which typically worked either as agriculture laborers or house servants. It takes the number one spot in 39 states, it appears in the top 20 lists of all fifty states and one district, 1 / 50 Canva #50. Derived from Davenports locational name in Cheshire, Davenport has an Old English origin, and it means market town. Y. 1719-1820 St. Martin (Attakapas Post). In most cases this represents different individuals, especially if the names are from the same source. History Is Lunch is a weekly lecture series of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History that explores different aspects of the state's past. One of the first things most people do when starting a family history project is research their own surname. These Are Some of the Rarest Last Names in the US: Do You Have One in Now that we finally know how to spell Mississippi, here are their top three most common last names. These files list the names and ages of children aged five to eighteen and, beginning in 1885, their parents or guardians. The second most common is Johnson and Smith takes first place in the Constitution State. The most common surnames in the United States in order, are Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones, and Brown. But there are still regional differences. In 2001, I began a process of transcribing names of some of the largest slaveholders and matching the surnames with numbers of African Americans on the 1870 census. Database of Choctaw Mixed Blood Names | Access Genealogy Johnson is the second most common and Smith is the first most common. C: Countryman, a white man living in Indian country with an Indian wife. [citation needed] James Blair ( c. 1788 -1841), British MP who owned sugar plantations in Demerara. See how the Historic Preservation professionals at MDAH can help Mississippi communities and federal Tribes preserve historic architecture and archaeology. These are the 50 best family travel destinations in every state. The pension files for veterans of all other wars and Union soldiers in the Civil War can be found at the National Archives in Washington, D.C. The only pension files available at the archives are those of individuals who served in the Confederate army or navy. See further notes below table for more descriptive notes on Appendix A). Anderson is the third most common last name, Johnson is second, and Smith is first. Probable Mixed-Blood Heads of Household, 1834, Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrants, 1859 List of Munsee from Leavenworth County Kansas, 1876-1878 Pacific Coast Business Directory, St. Charles Countys Participation in the World War, Oglethorpe University Publications Online, Maryville High School Yearbooks, 1919-1977, Maryville College, Tennessee, Yearbooks, 1906-2009, Appendix A: Known and Probable Mixed Bloods (On this page. According to forbears it is the 1,955,159th most common name with a mere 91 people in the world!! HACKENBERG/HACHENBERG. Dillard, for sure, is a unique last name of English origin. I just found out that my married last name was completely different. This southeastern states top three most common last names are also the top three in the entire country. Williams. SS Celtic from Liverpool on 11th June 1920>Germantown. My last name is Ridgely. The largest reported ancestry in Massachusetts is Irish, so it makes sense that Sullivan is their third most common last name. This surname hails from Scotland and carries the meaning of the son of Carr. Legendary host Johnny Carson is one example bearing this surname. Southern Families: Surnames. Rodriguez has a Spanish origin. Information about birth, death, marriage, and divorce records is available at the Vital Records office of the State Department of Health website. Alden is a classic last name of Scottish origin. Explore roles for public, behind-the-scenes, and even virtual e-volunteers. The 3 top last names in South Carolina, Ancestry.com says | The State Country Adams : OH Adamson If you have been doing research for a while, you know which ones they are. Explore all the educator resources available through MDAH. Schedule an appointment to research in our archaeology and historic objects collections. 100 Native American last names/surnames and their meanings The runner-up is Johnson and Smith, once again, is the most common last name in Arizona. There are a few hundred in the USA and a small amount in Hawaii, New Zealand, Argentina and the Phillipines. Smith is in third, Miller is in second, and Johnson is in first. Places; Login. NCHGS Researching Choctaw Indian Ancestry It looks like the Lone Star State wasnt about to follow the crowd. Goodwin is a pleasant-sounding English last name meaning good-hearted. The idea of being heard without having to speak appeals to her. Surname : Researcher(s) Websites : Pages: Ball Af. Most Common Surnames in Missouri, With Meanings - Forebears In much of the rest of the world the concept is even newer, often only going back until colonialism, or isnt even the same as the English speaking world with people having names that denote their relationship to one or both parents instead of solely patrilineal descent. So help me, I once knew someone with that name, but recent online searches have yielded nothing, leaving me to assume she and her husband passed on as the last of the Puppybreath lineage. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. The archives has nearly 400 manuscript collections associated with the different wars in which Mississippians have served. For each rank and sex, the table shows the name and the number of occurrences of that name. and those whose given names or surnames reflected kinship ties tended to guard them zealously." - Leon F. Litwack, . This German topographic surname refers to someone who lived by the forest. your doctor. This region has developed its own customs, cuisines, literature, and musical styles with strong European, Native American, and African components. There are only four names Smith, Johnson, Garcia and Lee. They may help to trace back your familys past or help in studying the evolution of naming traditions in Southern America. These are the most bike-friendly cities in every state. There are maybe 15 of us in the United States and at the time of this posting in 2010 there were maybe 8 and less than 25 in the world. BOLIVAR. The extent of the collection varies county to county. Parents in Mississippi continue to express themselves by choosing names unique to the area including. This surname of Proto-Germanic origin means forested upland. In fact, the most common last names in Michigan are also the most common last names in the states of: Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Florida, North Carolina, New Jersey, and Alaska. These are the most popular craft beers from each state. Umbra has a Latin origin, and it means shadow. Top 20 Last Names in California 1 GARCIA 246946 2 LEE 218134 3 SMITH 208319 4 HERNANDEZ 194013 5 LOPEZ 192338 6 MARTINEZ 188055 7 RODRIGUEZ 182329 8 JOHNSON 168739 9 GONZALEZ 160755 10 NGUYEN 153730 11 RAMIREZ 131663 12 PEREZ 128252 13 SANCHEZ 127327 14 BROWN 121834 15 WILLIAMS 119088 16 KIM 112660 17 JONES 111991 18 MILLER 110715 19 FLORES 98463 The colors on the map show the most popular family name for each state. Map Shows the Most Popular Last Name in Each State - Wide Open Country Its also the only U.S. state whose name can be typed on just one row of keysnot to mention, the state will pay you $1,000 a year to move there! He died i n the 1900s at BelleVue Hospital. We bet you didnt know its also actually illegal to swear in public in Virginia. Black Last Names: 80 Popular & Common African American, African Archie Archie is a shorter version of the name 'Archibald,' which either means 'holy prince' or the 'bold prince.' 7. Derived from the Old Germanic Hrodebert, or the medieval name Dobbe, Doby has a Scottish origin, and it means bright or famous. Louisiana has tons of nicknames, but the one thing that they can decide on is a common last name, apparently. Your Most are in Appalachia, then Cornwall and Devon overseas. Derived from Mildry or Mildthryth, this name has an Old English origin. Your email address will not be published. Meaning. American Surnames. with an estimated population of 2,6M Americans that share the family name. Educable childrens lists may be found in the records of the Secretary of State, Department of Education, or counties. This Scottish surname means son of Henry. Wisconsin is heavily weighted in German names such as Schmidt, Schultz, Krueger and Mueller. If your name does not turn up in a search here there were fewer than 100 people . My last name is Iches, only myself and my 3 daughters in USA, My last name is fethon I cannot find any info on any ancestors at all iam worried also I feel a bit of a outcast I will find it hard to explain where my family name and things came from to my four wonderfully beautiful children. This Western state has Anderson as the third most common last name, with Johnson in second, and Smith in first. >1775. Traveling Trunks The third most common is Williams, the second most common is Johnson, and the most common is Smith in Alaska. How are you related to Dean Freitag? Evans is the 3,909 th most popular name of all time. An unusual surname, Pinckney comes from Germany and refers to someone from Pincinos village. The hour-long programs are held in the Craig H. Neilsen Auditorium of the Museum of Mississippi History and Mississippi Civil Rights Museum building in Jackson. Genealogy | Mississippi Department of Archives & History Most Common Surnames in Wisconsin, With Meanings - Forebears These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The second most common last name is Anderson, and the first most common is Johnson. Petey is a common name for many dogs across the United States. The table above shows the top 20 most popular names for the state and The online catalogs Quick Searches offer three finding aids for court records, listed to the right, with entries for individual parties named in the suit. Johnson is the third most common, Williams is the second most common, and Smith is the first most common. Alas, the last of the four states with Jones in its top three most common last names list. Only the Southwestern portion of the country really has a lot of variety. Arthur Last Name Meaning and Origin of Moore - ThoughtCo Infographic: What are the Most Common Last Names in Florida? my last name, heck, should be on this because i only know of two families in the us and only the us that have this last name, so possibly between 10-25 people have this last name, Heck? While Mississippi shares some popular names with the rest of the country, and its lowest ranking, nineth, occurs in North Dakota. It may be kind of rare in the US, but not so much in the Philippines, and parts of Germany. Some of these state censuses were taken in years between the federal census. Louisiana Slave Records. Most names appear just once, and it is this diversity that makes this map interesting. use of this site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use. Vietmeier, with this particular spelling, is not common, at least not in the US. The most common last names in every state (besides Smith) 27010 posts. Theres only one letter thats not in any U.S. state name. Not only does Minnesota have over 10,000 lakes, it also has these top three most common last names. Top 20 most common Cajun last names in Louisiana Interested in Researching Your Surname or Those in Your Family Tree? Death records often give the names and places of birth of the parents of the deceased in addition to information about the deceased. These cookies do not store any personal information. At noon on Wednesday, March 8, Katharine Burnett and Monica Miller will present The Tacky South as part of the History Is Lunch series. Johnson is the second most common and Smith is the first most common. Another one of the four states with Jones in the top three common last names, Tennessees most common last name rankings are Jones in third, Johnson in second, and Smith in first.