With its huge cockpit opening and a 28-inch beam, it will let you take a kid or a dog along, or even do some fishing. The Santee 126 standard is also one of our drier rides given its smaller, yet still generous, 43 x 20.5 inch cockpit. Hurricane kayaks is one of them, although you dont need to live on the iconic coastal plain to enjoy paddling one of their kayaks. The Prima models have an integrated keel for better tracking (ability to travel in a straight line), and a removable frame seat that doubles as a beach chair. While the cost of producing ABS is roughly twice the cost of producing polystyrene, ABS is considered superior for its hardness, gloss, toughness, and electrical insulation properties. She is an out of condition, rank amateur older paddler. Renting the kayak for an outing is an excellent opportunity to assess fit, comfort and performance before you commit to a purchase. A local EMS had a sale going on and Hurricanes were on sale, so I jumped. It ismade by polymerizing styrene and acrylonitrile in the presence of polybutadiene. The HURRICANE OSPREY 120 has an innovative new hull shape that offers excellent efficiency along with superior tracking and stability. HURRICANE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. this question comes up every few,weeks or so, & I am always hoping that someone who is involved in the manufacturing processes will comment, but maybe they just want to keep us guessing (Im sure the salespeople prefer it that way). Cheers, Having an open deck is also great for accessing and storing gear like tackle boxes and fishing crates. With an extremely efficient hull shape perfect for accelerating and carrying speed, as well as making tight turns and carving through the water, the Eddyline Fathom is an excellent boat for any level of kayaker looking to enjoy and develop their touring and sea kayaking skills. From Wikipedia: Not sure about paying $750+ for a Yakima or Thule rack and installation, especially since my car may crap out on me soon and then I'd have to buy a whole new rack for the new car. Two of the major advantages of Hurricane kayaks are the thermoformed ABS construction and the integrated bulkheads on all of their sit-inside kayaks. I hate when people hide these things until the moment you go see the boat and waist your time. Posted on 25 fevereiro, 2023 by 25 fevereiro, 2023 by Acetone eats all ABS plastics, so dont use it to clean thermoplastic kayaks. They feature a smaller cockpit, where the paddler's thighs engage with the hull for superior boat control. Congrats on the Fathom! Length: 13 (396.2 cm)Width: 28 (71 cm)Weight: 48 lb (21.8 kg)Capacity: 390 lb (176.9 kg). I got mine with a rudder and Im glad I did. Find an outfitter who stocks Hurricane kayaks for rentals. Here are answers to some of the most common online questions about Eddyline kayaks. Follow the links below, and learn more about the strengths and weaknesses of each Hurricane kayak. These include integrated rod holders and grip pads in the footwells. When he's not out there in the wild, he's probably typing away at his laptop or trying to be the world's best father for his two lovely daughters. Nigel Dennis Kayaks Romany Surf. 116 SPORT. . Length: 14' / 427 cm. Hurricanes Sojourn 135 is a great option for small- to medium-size paddlers looking for something with a bit more speed and storage capacity than a recreational kayak. Fathom is worth the money.Had my Fathom since April and used it a lot. What are some important questions you should ask the seller? The Tracer has a fine hull, very graceful and well planned. Damage to a Hurricane kayak is most likely to occur from over-tightening the kayak when securing it to a trailer or roof rack. Sit-on-tops are best suited to warm environments and are perfect for beginner kayakers who plan to explore calm, sheltered waters. happy paddling D. They feature retractable skegs . Bonafide Kayaks in 2023: Model Lineup and Reviews, 3 Waters Kayaks in 2023: Model Lineup and Reviews, NuCanoe Kayaks in 2023: Full Model Lineup and Reviews, FeelFree Kayaks in 2023: Full Model Lineup and Reviews, Crescent Kayaks in 2023: Full Model Range and Reviews, Sea Eagle Kayaks in 2023: Full Model Lineup and Reviews, Jackson Kayaks in 2023: Model Lineup and Reviews, Perception Kayaks in 2023: Full Model Lineup and Reviews, Best 10-Ft Kayaks for Fishing and Recreation [2023], 11 Best Kayaks for Big, Large and Heavy People: Top Rated 2023 Models for Fishing and Recreation, Best Kayaks for Lakes: 10 Top Lake Kayaks Reviewed. Was it the seat, feet/legs position, the thigh braces, backrest or what? Its simple beginnings in Old Town, Maine, in 1898 had them entering the canoe market as a manufacturer of canvas-covered wooden canoes. Rough water handling ------I had the Eddyline on Jackson Lake in Grand Teton Nat. The ABS bulkheads on these boats give them inherent buoyancy even when the cockpit fills with water, making them among the safest recreational kayaks you can buy. Eddyline Kayaks manufacture and sell touring, recreational and sit on top kayaks that are lightweight, high performance and maneuverable. Dave, Tracer vs FathomI felt I needed to add my voice, since mine is the Tracer for sale on craigslist in Apex. Highly stable and lightweight, the Caribbean 12 has an efficient hull design that provides exceptional tracking. Designed for smaller paddlers, Eddyline Rio packs serious performance and great features in an easy to handle, lightweight package. Offering super-stable recreational kayaks, lightweight touring boats, and smile-inducing sit-on-tops, and all of these kayaks have one thing in common. Still, dont forget that you get what you pay for. This lightweight super-stable model has set a high bar on styling and comfort in an attractive array of colors that are enhanced by creative lines and curves that can be found from bow to stern. I like my tracer it seems to be a good product at a good price, but it may not be for everyone. Thanks! Kayak reviews from Paddling Magazine staff will give you more insight into a boats performance than simply reading specifications and marketing. At 12 foot 6 inches, the Santee 126 cuts through the water with ease and, at a mere 40 lbs, is still super easy to get on and off your vehicle. The Caribbean 14 accommodates up to 325 lbs of weight compared to the Caribbean 12s capacity of 275 lbs. Length: 18 (584 cm)Width: 28 (71 cm)Weight: 73 lb (33 kg)Capacity: 600 lb (272 kg). JMO. The only down side to the pronounced keel on the Eddyline is that I had to modify my kayak cart with some extra foam to get a good fit. There is no way in the world they are farming out manufacturing to another company. She said "no way". Eddylines fishing kayaks stand apart with their lightweight construction; as well as looking great with their glossy finish, these boats are easy to transport and carry solo. I liked the boat enough that would still consider it at the right price, but would hesitate to pay full retail for it. Just to clarify, I turned down the Tracer for the Wilderness Systems 15.5. Lighter kayaks are easier to carry and load onto a vehicle/trailer. Attach lines from your vehicle to the bow and stern for added safety and peace of mind. The butadiene, a rubbery substance, provides resilience even at low temperatures. The longer length and higher volume of these boats makes them best suited for coastal paddling or touring on large lakes. I am 6'4" with 36" inseam and size 15 shoes, waist 36" and about 190 lb. Compared to Hurricane kayaks' mostly recreational lineup, Eddyline has more touring-oriented options like their Sitka and Fathom kayaks, all of which are longer than 13.5 feet. Since 1968, Sea Eagle have been designing cutting-edge inflatable boats. Length: 10 (305 cm)Width: 26 (66 cm)Weight: 32 lb (14.5 kg)Capacity: 250 lb (113.4 kg). Thank you for supporting us! nielsen dma rankings 2022 pdf; lowes siding; hack wifi password using python github Hurricane thermoforms the hulls and decks and Eddyline completes them. I'm deciding between the Eddyline Rio and the Hurricane Santee 116, and I drive an old sedan. http://www.stellarkayaksusa.com/S16S-surf-ski. They are more expensive than entry-level polyethylene kayaks, but cost less than space-age, ultralight composite kayaks. Acrylonitrile is a synthetic monomer produced from propylene and ammonia; butadiene is a petroleum hydrocarbon obtained from butane; and styrene monomers, derived from coal, are commercially obtained from benzene and ethylene from coal. Stable enough for beginners, it also offers superb edging performance and efficiency for more experienced paddlers. Current owner my not know that, if it is a second. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Follow the links below to view Eddyline kayaks in our Paddling Buyers Guide, where youll find important information like specs, reviews, prices and where to buy. The Fathom is probably at least a foot longer in terms of waterline, it is hard-chined vs. the soft-chined Tracer, it has very little rocker vs. the more rockered Tracer, etc. Eddyline vs . IMO the "good" price of $1,500 or so new is too much for it for what it is. It is extremely hard to be comfortable in a pure sea kayak for a large, tall person. Not too much trouble to do. See and review all Hurricane kayaks here. Excessive UV damage may mean the kayak hull needs to be refinished. Luckily, there is an Epic V-7 I can try. Follow the links below to start viewing specifications, prices and reviews of specific Hurricane kayak models in our Paddling Buyers Guide. Choosing an Eddyline Kayak based on intended use. In the peak of summer, you might need to act quickly to get the kayak you want. A rudder aids with both tracking and steeringa necessity on long tandem kayaks like the Whisperbut Eddyline solo kayaks turn easily enough that rudders arent needed. They come in a range of sizes and colors to suit everyone. @string said: Award winning designs that make paddling in all water conditions a breeze. The only down side to the pronounced keel on the Eddyline is that I had to modify my kayak cart with some extra foam to get a good fit. If youre able to track down a secondhand Hurricane kayak, you can score a gently used, high-end kayak for a similar price to that of a new, lower-end polyethylene kayak. Length: 139 (419 cm)Width: 22.5 (57.15 cm)Weight: 43 lb (19.5 kg)Capacity: 300 lb (136 kg), Length: 153 (464.8 cm)Width: 24.5 (62.2 cm)Weight: 50 lb (21.8 kg)Capacity: 400 lb (181.4 kg), Length: 165 (503 cm)Width: 22 (55.8 cm)Weight: 50 lb (22.5 kg)Capacity: 340 lb (154 kg). My only real issue with the Tracer is the cockpit fit, and thats very much a personal thing. But, the hull shape seemed like it would be very nice on the water and the seat/cockpit were just perfect fit for me. The proportions can vary from 15 to 35% acrylonitrile, 5 to 30% butadiene and 40 to 60% styrene. Hurricane vs Eddyline. The Fathom also has better initial stability, IMO, which I prefer. Although the 12-foot kayak can accommodate a wide range of users, the 14-foot kayak adds speed and load capacity. . However, there is a $1000 price difference. Delta makes great kayaks, but when it comes down to it, Eddyline offers superior kayaks. Aside from their lightweight builds, the dry storage hatches of these sit-on-tops set them apart from others. Kayaks hold their value well, especially if they have been cared for. I think Sissy has a skimmer String, not sure on the size. To me a touring kayak should be able to hold gear and track well while it carries that gear. Thanks. The lightweight acrylic-ABS material Hurricane uses for their thermoform kayaks is quite strong and durable. Eddyline kayaks are more expensive, but lighter and available in more color and design options. They feature a more extensive line of sit-on-top kayaks than Eddyline. Delta may be a staple for kayakers, but it can also go toe to toe with Eddyline. Love my Pungo 140. Additionally, do you think a roof rack is necessary? At only 40 lbs, it is very easy to store, transport, and carry to and from the water. Theres a ton of room inside for carrying gear, and access to the inside of the kayak is a lot better with the Eddyline. They are at home in exposed coastal environments or choppy conditions. Sandpiper vs. Santee 116 Sport Eddyline kayak prices range between $1,200 and $3,250 depending on the make and model of the kayak. It demoed OK, but just plain wasnt comfortable for me after an hour or so. Ive kept the Vector to use as a loaner since its a really nice kayak thats easy for people to paddle. Dagger kayaks are found anywhere there is whitewater to be run. Native Watercraft Necky NuCanoe Ocean Kayak Old Town Pelican Perception . It is a bit wider, than the S18S you owned. It will boil, then burst spectacularly into intense, hot flames., I find it interestinghow closely matched some of the designs are from these two companies: This content was made possible with the support of OntarioCreates. The Trylon ABS plastic laminate used to make Hurricane kayaks resists impact and abrasions well, but every material has its limits. Can anyone compare these SOT? As a result, expect to pay more for an Eddyline kayak. The Eddyline is faster and tracks better than the Vector 13. The Skylark is 3" longer, 2" wider, and the cockpit is both longer and wider, but the critical difference is the leg & foot room. The skeg is a retractable fin that drops into the water under the stern (back) of the kayak, helping it to stay on course (called tracking) when there is wind and waves pushing the kayak otherwise. Can you elaborate on the fit? Hurricane kayaks currently makes the Prima and Santee recreational kayaks in 11- and 12-foot lengths, along with a 14-foot tandem. Damage is most likely to result from a direct impact, such as a fall from a roof rack onto a sharp rock. But the overal range is similar I agree - just like every car manufacturer has a range of cars, but can you compare a VW GTI with a Chevy Aveo, except for size? For paddlers concerned about weight, Hurricane builds some of the lightest recreational kayaks available. Consider setting up an email alert for a more specific term like Hurricane kayak or even the exact model youre looking for. Boats are like cars - some come off the assembly line in perfect condition, some come off with problems. Kayaks hold their value well, and expect to pay anywhere from 50 to 80 percent of the new sticker price. $1,999.00. Still, I do not take this boat when I know I will be powering over river obstacles. Length: 10'9" (327.7 cm) 30" (76.2 cm) Weight: 40 lb (18.1 kg) Capacity: 250 lb (113.4 kg) The Caribbean 109 is the lightest among Eddyline's sit-on-top kayaks and one of the most lightweight sit-on-tops on the market today. New to reddit and this sub - hoping y'all can provide some advice about my first kayak and rack purchase. If you are specifically looking for an Eddyline kayak, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or Kijiji search terms can help filter other kayaks you arent interested in. Based on the West Coast, Eddyline is a well-established producer of American-made thermoformed ABS kayaks. All of Daggers kayaks are made from durable rotomolded plastic. Eddyline Kayaks. Similarly, minor damage or wear to outfitting like seats, seat backs, foot pegs and bungees is often easy to fix with replacement parts or even supplies from your local hardware store. The Santee 126 standard is also one of our drier rides given its smaller, yet still generous, 43 x 20.5 inch cockpit. Raftergirl, do you know what your max speed and cruising speed are in the Eddyline? One of the oldest in the business, Old Town Canoe Company, is one notable and historic maker of canoes. Hurricane kayaks are made with their proprietary Trylon ABS plastic laminate. The second part of the " F.I.T ." method is "intended use". In summary, I dont think its fair to say these materials are all completely different but its also not accurate to say they are all the same. Lifetime Products. The large front hatch, the center day hatch, and rear hatch give easy access to most of the interior space. The Sojourn hull shares the reassuring stability of Hurricanes recreational kayaks, while stretching the waterline for better speed and efficiency. The comfortable Cloud 10 seat sits high for comfort and visibility. Great boat, very fast, not sad one bit I made this choice. This article will help you choose the best Hurricane kayak for your paddling goals. As it is - I cant be sure its worth anything without paddling it to see if it tracks straight or not. @Medawgone said: If youre looking for maximum comfort and stability, yet want Eddylines cool looks, the Sandpiper has got you covered. Its sleek, streamlined hull sports Eddylines distinct gullwing design that helps you travel over longer distances with less effort. It also makes these kayaks suitable for bringing along a small child or four-legged companion, or casual kayak fishing. Even here I saw a post that it is too small (but also that it is spacious enough, from other posters). system August 12, 2008, 10:11pm #7. See and review all Eddyline kayaks here. I foolishly passed on another deal on a used Tracer some time ago because the owner thought I won't fit in it. There are a select few on the West Coast as well. For the price of a good rec kayak you can own the Tracer which is a heck of a nice boat, all other things considered, IMHO and others may vary. This is an opportunity for us to really think about the type of uses that enticed us to get into the sport. The Skyark, Sky 10 and Equinox offer the body more contact but still fit a wide variety of . Delta focuses more on touring kayaks, although they also make quality recreational kayaks. Eddyline offers six recreational kayaks in their catalog. Eddyline is known for lightweight, high-performance recreational, touring, and sea kayaks. Sit-on-top kayaks are a favorite for anglers, as they are stable, easy to enter and responsive to paddle. Also check the function and condition of all outfitting, such as the seat, back rest and foot braces or pedals. I agree with most the comments made on this thread - that the Fathom is a better boat, but its also more expensive. But it is prettier. Founded in 1971, Eddyline was one of the first commercial kayak builders in North America, first with whitewater boats and then with high-volume sea kayaks for West Coast adventures. We still recommend Eddyline, but Delta is a close second. In this overview, we'll take a look at NuCanoe's fishing kayaks to see if there's something that matches your needs. Eddyline divides their kayak catalog into four categories: Sit-on-top, Fishing, Recreational and Touring. If it's not, call us. 2022 PaddlingSpace.com. I may never be able to keep up but Id like to try. At outdoor chains like REI, Eddyline kayaks and accessories may be available, although they are not listed on the site. Hatch sizes vary by boat length, but are at least 8 in diameter to fit bags, fishing rods or anything else you want to take for a day on the water. With a premium open floor plan that features a large rear . Good Luck with your quest. By comparison, Eddylines kayaks have more premium features and their thermoform construction shaves weight. Stellar now makes 16ft Ski/SOT. We may vacation up your way, this year. Unfortunately, again that comes at the cost of the flex and the minimialistic outfitting - no day hatch, minimal deck rigging, lightweight hatch covers. Hurricanes proprietary Trylon ABS material makes the kayaks strong but light, while the bulkheads (interior walls within the hull) make them buoyant and safe to use further from shore. Most Hurricane kayak dealers are east of the Rockies in Canada and the USA. Best-case scenario this makes the kayak extremely difficult to tip back upright; worst-case scenario, it sinks (or does a "Cleopatra's Needle"). Swift then builds the kayaks at their own factory. I find the seat area comfort better on the Eddyline. Its ideal to place these near the bulkheads, using webbing or wide straps to minimize pressure points. To set the record straightEddyline makes their own boats from start to finish. The comfortable SOT seat sits high for comfort and visibility and is made out of high-quality marine grade materials. sadly, at the moment, the only tandem model out on market in a thermoformed ABS hull is the Hurricane. Wilderness Systems kayaks are made from rotomolded polyethylene plastic as opposed to Eddylines thermoform construction. All of Eddylines kayaks are built with lightweight materials and will be some of the lightest boats when compared to similar models from other brands. Fathom is worth the money. The cockpit coaming - the same - it flexes. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but Im learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. Youre a much bigger guy than I, but the Epic V6 is very efficient and reasonably light - 40 lbs and less. Like Eddyline, Delta kayaks are made exclusively from thermoformed plastic. I picked out these models because the performance seems good enough for me to be safe in ocean bays and sloughs, but also light enough for me to handle on my own and easily store. Hurricane kayaks sealed bulkheads (interior walls within the hull that ensure flotation if the kayak swamps) add a layer of safety that isnt found on most big-box store kayaks, and their candy-colored glossy finish is a treat for the eyes. Highly stable and lightweight. Finishes & fittings are top notch. A variety of modifications can be made to improve impact resistance, toughness, and heat resistance. Not too much trouble to do. That being said, a used Eddyline listed at its original sticker price is too expensive. With all the efficiency and tracking capabilities of a high-end touring kayak and the nimble nature of a recreational kayak rolled into a sea kayak, the Sitka LT is ready for adventures but is also perfect for a relaxed day cruising around your local lake. Recreational kayaks bridge the performance of a touring kayak with the stability and responsiveness of a sit-on-top. Ive kept the Vector to use as a loaner since its a really nice kayak thats easy for people to paddle. One is somewhat less expensive than the other. The Sandpipers and Caribbeans offer the most relaxed fit in the line. Hope to paddle with the Hartwell crew. You can check the more general ones like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or Kijiji using general search terms like 12-foot kayak. Ask the owner how and where it was stored. Hurricanes Sport models boast a larger cockpit opening than Eddylines recreational kayaks, making them a good choice if youll be paddling with your pup or if you have limited mobility but want a sit-inside kayak. Not sure if that matters, but the bottom flexes up a bit too easy compared to my Tempest 170 or the fiberglass P&H Outlander I have, when I push on it with my hand with the boat upside down. I think that would not be a problem at all for most paddling, but will be noticeable in waves. DO NOT put Acetone or Paint Thinner or any solvent that damages ABS plastic on your kayak . Seat and backrest are not a worry IMO as they are easily and relatively cheaply replaceable, and I thought the rest felt fine for me Transporting your Eddyline kayak can be stressful. Go for an Eddyline if you are looking for a good value, lightweight, mid-range kayak and arent planning on extended paddling trips or heading out into big swells. Caribbean 14. Hurricane kayak prices start at $1,000 USD. They feature retractable skegs (or fins under the hull) for enhanced tracking, a common design element on touring boats. I think Sissy has a skimmer String, not sure on the size. I sat (did not paddle) the Eddyline Fathom and it felt extremely well built and sturdy. The Vector was a little easier to spin because of the flat bottom, but Im learning to carve turns anyways, so not a big deal. Today, their inflatable kayaks are used and loved all over the world. She is an out of condition, rank amateur older paddler. Visit a nearby Eddyline dealer and see if they have any demo kayaks or floor models for sale. Use the filters to narrow your search if you know which Eddyline boat you are looking for. These boats are often for sale, and you may be able to get some reductions off the sticker price while being able to not only try the kayak, but also talk to an expert. For more information, please see our The Eddyline is very comfortable right out of the box, but for me Id replace the backband on the Tracer and the seat is a throw away. EVER SINCE it was found in 2003, Jackson Kayaks has been known for innovation and attention to detail. Inspiring paddlesports participation through quality coverage of the people, places, adventures, boats and gear, trends and events that make paddling something you'll do for the rest of your life. These kayaks are longer and narrower than the other Eddyline boats, making them more efficient to paddle. The Sandpiper 130 has a large cockpit making getting in or out of the kayak a breeze. The best advice we can offer is to always test paddle before buying any boat. Keep the kayak off the ground to prevent moisture damage and reduce the chances of critters making it their home. Ive not paddled either, but the pronounced keel on the Eddyline would give me pause. Eddyline vs Hurricane kayaks. Hope you find what your looking for and get on the water soon Some prolonged UV damage can be seenlook for fading or discoloration. And most unfortunately, when I had it over my head, I stumbled and threw the loaded boat aside just to save breaking an ankle. Let's look at the company's full model lineup. Length: 12 (366 cm)Width: 28 (71 cm)Weight: 38 lb (17.2 kg)Capacity: 350 lb (158.8 kg). Id have to paddle a ski awhile and make sure my back can handle it. I spent more, and I feel I got more. He strongly prefers the Eddyline. The various named materials all begin life in flat sheet form manufactured by Dupont/Dow etc., all basically the same but perhaps there are slight variations in the specific chemical composition & thickness that can be specified by each customer. I'm a 5'3 150 lb woman with moderate to low upper body strength, and plan to use the kayak once or twice a week, so ease of handling and loading onto and off of my car is paramount to me. Compared to polyethylene kayaks, Hurricane kayaks are significantly lighter than most. Eddyline Caribbean 14 FS. Crescent Kayaks was founded in 2001 and is headquartered in Carrollton, Georgia. Top picks: Best Hurricane kayaks for 2023, Alabama Mountain Lakes Tourist Association, The Great Canadian Kayak Challenge & Festival, Best Kayak Brands For Fishing, Sea Kayaking, Touring & More, Lightweight Touring Kayak Review: Hurricane Kayaks Sojourn 135. All of Eddylines single person touring kayaks use a skeg for controlling the kayak as opposed to a rudder. Youre a much bigger guy than I, but the Epic V6 is very efficient and reasonably light - 40 lbs and less. Width/Beam: 29" / 74 cm. Some models may be difficult to track down for the time being and may need to be pre-ordered through a dealer for next season. Choose a non-Sport model for a more snug fit. eddyline kayak durability. Hurricane gives you a lot of choices. Let's start with some simple DOs and DON'Ts. Or possibly they only took the kayak out a handful of times and realized it wasnt the sport (or the kayak) for them. Sissy has a 12 that shes selling but Im too heavy for that size. The hull is rigid and does not flex when underway - the deck flexes a little bit when pressure is put on some of the flater and wider spots.