Amaranta evolved from Amarantha, which means fading. Unique Italian Baby Boy Names and Their Meanings. Non-Italian speakers are prone to butchering this name a little; Ive even heard it said as GEE-eye-oh-ee-ah. 1898. Fun Fact: The feast day for Giulia is May 21,in memory of St. Julia the Virgin, martyred in Corsica for refusing to participate in a pagan ritual and put to death by crucifixion sometime around the year 303 (though the date is uncertain). Fun Fact: St. Alessio Falconieri came from a wealthy family in Florence and was one of the seven founders of the Servite Order, in which monks lived lives of poverty and penance. Marchetti - Means "warlike". I teach languages including Italian. Traditional Old-Fashioned Cocktail Recipe | Taste of Home Fun Fact: Women of the noble Roman family Claudius would bear the name Claudia, including two mentioned in the New Testament. Edoardo Enrico Its unusual for an Italian to use a middle name in any context. Angelina (given name) Anita (given name) Annalisa (given name) Annamaria. Marcello. This historic watering hole boasts a 100-year-old back bar and a running water spittoon, still in operation and used for the Brick's annual spittoon boat races. Ancient Greek mythology tells of the mother goddess, Gaia, who presided over the entire Earth. In the Disney movie Coco, Imelda Rivera is the Rivera family matriarch and the person who banned music in their homes. Outdated Name - TV Tropes 1901. Instructions. The name Jade, and consequently Giada, comes from the Spanish phrase (piedra de la) ijada, meaning (of the) flank. According to Wikiwand, Cantini was accused of performing vampirism on her dying son and cursing people in her village. Explore Vintage Baby Girl and Boy Names Gender: All Sort by: Most Popular Noah Olivia Emma Oliver Charlotte Amelia Ava Elijah Sophia James William Benjamin Henry Isabella Logan Levi Theodore Jack Evelyn Alexander Related Baby Names Lists Check out these related baby names lists to discover more baby names Posh Baby Names Preppy Baby Names Guerra - Refers to "war" or "a solider". Italian tennis player Silvia Farina Elia; Governor-General of New Zealand Silvia Cartwright; American author and poet Sylvia Plath; . Not only are these places unique and beautiful; so are the Italian names. It is also a common nickname for Marguerite, the French name for the flower. He has tons of adorable nicknames, too, with Leo the obvious choice along with the less-common yet equally adorable Nardo. Chiara: Clear, light. Havent spent much time in the Mezzogiorno? Download Peanut to connect with women at a similar stage in life. Unsubscribe at any time. Fun Fact: Romeo is best known as one half of the young star-crossed lovers in Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet.". 2. more about the name Mabilia, Origin: Italian more about the name Miuccia, Origin: Italian 12. KY. f . Ines [ee-NESS] Gioconda [joe-COND-ah] - In Italy, an alternate name for the Mona Lisa is La Gioconda. The Library of Congress chose Gilda for inclusion in the U.S. National Film Registry because of its historical, cultural, and aesthetic significance. Culpepper, (Middle English Origin) A spicer or herbalist in ancient times. This was a particular for my Dad when he was young as he had the same name as my Grandad, often opening each others post by accident. These names used to be common in the 1300s, 1500s, 1800s, 1900s, 1920s, etc. Ondina is also a genus of sea snails. Usually pronounced to rhyme with "hubby," this traditional Yiddish grandma name can also be spelled Bubby, Bubbie or Bube, according to Kveller. Helen of Troy was "the face that launched a thousand ships" and the cause of the Trojan War. Help! Ive never heard Marestra. m. Galen . Meaning: Capstan, windlass Dont miss out on the best list of Italian baby girl names this side of the Atlantic. Novelio). Flavia: Meaning "golden" or "blonde," this centuries-old traditional Italian baby girl name rolls beautifully off the tongue. The name is, of course, after the flower of the same name. My father third name is Ermes (without the H), his brother have name Massimo Marcello Curzio, and another brother of him is named Ivan Silvio. Beulah 6. Dankworth, (Old English Origin) Derived from the word meaning "Tancred's farmstead". Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. Which I find pretty uncommon. 100 Top Old-Fashioned & Traditional Girl Names | Pampers UK American nurse Clarissa Harlowe Barton was a teacher, patent clerk, and self-taught nurse during the American Civil War. Eloisa is a retired U.S. Army Nursing Corps officer who is also a Lipan Apache civil rights leader, professor and lecturer who is an opponent and litigant against the U.S. Mexico border wall. Fun Fact: Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy, Prince of Venice and the heir to the last king of Italy Umberto II, was a contestant in the Italian version of "Dancing With the Stars.". Fun Fact: Giacomo is an Italian name for James and Jacob. Giovambattista), Anna, Maria, Federico, Margherita (daisy, a.k.a. Dovizia It is not to say that they are totally ruled out, they are not just common among Italians of today. Im Italian Australian (with a French mother) I also have a few names to add to the list. Bubbe. Luna: Luna means "moon," and sounds just as glowy and lovely as this Italian baby name's meaning implies. Most names in their original form have a certain meaning behind them. Just wanted to add a nameMy grandmothers name was Aqualina Petrocce. Fun Fact: St. Lawrence is the patron saint of cooks and comedians due to his quip while being roasted alive on a gridiron, "Turn me over, this side is done.". Somehow my mother stuck me with a Scottish name, but Im hoping to sneak Liberata into one of my childrens middle names! Your email address will not be published. Argento means silver. Antonella. . Meaning: Famous in war Edda is also an Ancient Scandanavian name, used most frequently in Iceland. more about the name Garbo, Origin: Italian Fun Fact:Giada is a departure from the Italian tradition of using saint names. Italian Old Fashioned #1: Galliano and Bourbon Adding a splash of theIitalian liquor, Galliano, will elevate your old fashioned and complement it perfectly due to its woody, citrusy notes. We want to name our baby Penelope but we cant decide on a nickname? more about the name Serenella, Origin: Italian You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. FINA administers six water sports swimming, open water swimming, artistic swimming, diving, high diving, and water polo. It has been through these older names that we have been able to track our genealogy around the world. In the series, Fortunata is an anthropomorphic fox. Albrecht Aristocratic and bright. more about the name Edvige, Origin: Italian These Italian names are considered old-fashioned because they are longer used by the present-day Italians. These names are so cute and cool to name your little baby boy. 102 Old Lady Names That Are Popular Again for Baby Girls Meaning: Surname Alfonso means 'noble' and . Roan: Red, little redhead (Gaelic) Robert: Bright, shining (German) Roberto: Bright fame (Italian) Robin: Fame bright (German) Roderick: Glory, ruler . Early Christians associated it with Katharos, meaning pure. Cosima evolved from Cosmo, who is the patron saint of doctors. Category:Italian feminine given names - Wikipedia Cook carrots and onion with salt and pepper in a large pot. Fun Fact: Several notable gangsters and mafiosos were named Salvatore, including the birth name of Italian mobster Charles "Lucky" Luciano. Meaning: Princess Ermanno no less than two of them! It means child of Armano or warrior. My grands fathers name is Ippolito Rocco but always goes by just Rocco. We give this short, snappy Italian name for girls plenty of points for looking cute and edgy. Fun Fact: The name Domenico was traditionally given to children born on Sunday. My Fathers side was tame by comparison: Anna, Antonette, Andrea, Rose, James, Anthony, and Carmello. My Mothers family was from Calabria and Sicily and my Fathers was from Abrucci. Famous Namesakes: Italian actress and model Benedetta Barzini, Italian saint Blessed Benedetta Cambiagio Frassinello Peak Popularity: Benedetta has ranked in the top 50 girl names in Italy for over 20 years. Theres Emiliano, a name that dances off the tongue. Thanks its always good to get info from real experts. Although these are popular with Italian parents right now, many have a strong and timeless feel that might be exactly what youre looking for. War memorial in Lecco: more names which are now rare (and might be considered funny): Wilma [VILL-mah] and Giuseppina [jews-ep-PEEN-ah] would be considered old-fashioned. Benevutos hidden welcomed birth background is one were crazy about, as well as of the few flower names for boys in the genre, Fiorello, whose meaning of little flower is super sweet. Ciao: White. It has since become slightly less popular, but in 2019, it was still at number 116 when 2,495 little ones were given the name. In Shakespeares play, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, Lucetta is the intelligent and sassy lady-in-waiting who dishes out wise advice to Julia. more about the name Hagne, Origin: Italian Fun Fact: During the late Western Roman Empire, Serena was a Christian noblewoman and niece of the Emperor Theodosius. This Italian name is a form of Hilarius, an Ancient Roman boys name. 200 Classic and Old Fashioned Baby Names - My Pet's Name The Italian girls name Marcellina evolved from Mars, the Roman god of war, making it ideal for a family with military heritage. Name your child Fabia, and you can continue the tradition. Those who dont speak Italian are likely to pronounce Amedea as eh-ME-DE-a, like immediate but with an a at the end. Bella: Beautiful or pretty. I am an Italian & Canadian citizen, fluent in both Italian & English. Adelaide is a form of the Germanic Adalheidis, meaning noble type. I love Italian names, combined with the Italian accent, theyre fantastic. He ruled the Roman Empire in the triumvirate with Caesar Augustus and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus. The aunt of Food Network star Giada De Laurentiis, she has appeared in multiple episodes of Giada at Home. 100 Italian Last Names and Surnames with Meanings - Parade If you're interested in giving your daughter an Italian first name which is classic and charmingly old-fashioned, Teresa may fit the bill. Talking of numbered names Octavia (8th child) is another Roman name that has survived to recent time. Read our, 100 Celtic Baby Names: Meanings & Origins, Italian naming traditions and their ramifications, 9 Things You Didn't Know About St. George, To Grill or Not to Grill: Commemorating a Saints Martyrdom. Fun Fact: Carmen can be a unisex name, although it has less popularity as a boy name than as a girl name. Meaning: Little honey Speaking of meanings, Italian boy names have some of the best out there. When my ancestors came from Campania region(Morra De Sanctis) in early 1900s they had beautiful romatic Italian names..Giuseppe, Maria, Angelo, Pasquale, Domenico, Rocco, Gerardo,Rosaria, Vincenzo. Origin: Italian and Spanish . more about the name Tosca, Origin: Italian Mamercus Aemilius Lepidus Livianus was an Ancient Roman military commander and politician who reached the most senior position in the senate. Lia can also be a short form of Rosalia, meaning Rose, or Julia, meaning downy bearded. Meaning: Tuesday Galena. Deirdr Straughan on Italy, India, the Internet, the world, and now Australia. 270+ Old Fashioned Girl Names That Are Well-Loved The Italian form of Cynthia, Cinzia means Woman from Kynthos. Lelia is a form of Laelius, a Roman name of unknown meaning. New York: Oxford University Press; 2011. m. Gabriel . Adalgisa [ah-DAHL-jizz-ah] Very old-fashioned. Find the perfect vintage name for your baby girl or boy and learn its meaning, origin, and popularity. Ludovica is the Italian feminine version of the Germanic boys name Ludwig. Our first, brief scan of the internet gave us over 600 options from which to choose, and that didnt include the short forms, variations, and alternative spellings. It means king, and in addition, it is a quick reference to the T-Rex, one of the most feared dinosaurs. The Italian form of Ariadne, Arianna means most holy. Lorenzo - This is the Latinized version of "Lawrence.". Before we go back in time, lets look at the top Italian baby names from the last few years. Hes balanced by his tough-guy meaning of rival, too. 10 Iconic Italian Cocktails Cellar Tours Meaning: From Tuscany These Italian names are considered old-fashioned because they are longer used by the present-day Italians. English actress Romola Garais first role was in the movie The Last of the Blonde Bombshells. Emma: Universal. Fun Fact: Shakespeare included characters named Claudio in "Measure for Measure" and "Much Ado About Nothing.". PS Quattro would be, accd to your spelling, QUACCHRU not Quacchro. Luigi - This name is of German origin and it means "famed warrior.". Grazia: It's a short and sweet baby girl name meaning "grace" in Italian, and it has a luxe and exotic sound to it. Massimo Continued. . The Italian name Bianca means white, fair. Fun Fact: The feast day for Andrea is November 30 in honor of St. Andrew (Andreas) the Apostle. Whether these names will remain in the Italian-Canadian community I cant say. but they have fallen out of popularity. The book is considered to be the first psychological thriller. I found LUPERDI as a girls Italian name twice Add spices and cook until fragrant. 85+ Boy Names That Start With R (From Rugged to Regal) Once the sugar has dissolved, add a couple of ice cubesyou can even use smoked iced cubes to your glass, then pour in the whiskey. St. Julia, Virgin and Martyr of Corsica. Fun Fact: Luigi is one of the Mario Brothers in the Nintendo video game franchise. Appendix:Italian surnames - Wiktionary Italian Geneology. more about the name Fia, Origin: Italian The flower name comes from the Old English word meaning 'day's eye'. Fortunata is an Ancient Roman name meaning fortunate, happy, blessed. Piera [pee-AIR-a or PYAIR-ah] Female version of Piero, of course. The Ancient Roman name Fausta means auspicious or lucky. 13. I learned later that many of the relatives who had difficult names took on Nick-Names like my Uncle Red, my cousin Sonny and his sister Babe. Required fields are marked *. Alfonsi means a person who is noble and ready. Meaning: Maybe We whittled the list until we found our favorites and we hope this gives you several options to work with. While modern parents are increasingly opting for unique and unusual names, they are also drawn to the classic beauty and vintage charm of traditional names. Meaning: Life Both of their parents were from Ucria, Sicily. 10 Rosmunda via Unsplash / Christian Bowen The Bellini was invented in Italy in the late 1930s or early 1940s and named after Venetian artist Giovanni Bellini. Fun Fact: The feast day for Leonardo is November 6 in memory of St. Leonard of Noblac who died in the sixth century. Beginning in the 15th century, the family's influence grew until the family's kingdoms dissolved in the 18th century. Although they both relate to Adolorata they have very different meanings. So, what are some old fashioned boy names? Gaga. Here I am in NY with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage, cringing everytime I look at the exchange rate and wishing I were in Taormina- my favorite place in the whole world and there you are so close.. ma non e giusto!! St. Valentine's feast day is February 14. Reduce the heat, and let the cabbage soup simmer, covered, until the cabbage is very tender, about 25 minutes. Italian voice actress Emanuela Pacotto has dubbed TV programs, video games, and movies as diverse as Alvin and the Chipmunks, the Pokmon movies, and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. Do you know the origin of this name? Beyond that, Edoardo [eh-doh-AR-do] and Enrico are both names that are not unusual, but not overly common, either. Meaning: Little bear . American actress Marisa Tomei won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the 1992 comedy, My Cousin Vinny. 20 Italian Baby Name Classic Italian Names 1 15 Super Comfortable Walking Shoes for Women 2 36 Life-Saving Closet Organization Ideas 3 The Meanings Behind Birth Flowers 4 35 Travel Captions to. b. Most notable is Romeo Beckham, the son of fashion-forward Victoria and David Beckham. Fun Fact: Shakespeare included characters named Stephano in both "The Merchant of Venice" and "The Tempest.". Fun Fact: St. George was a Roman soldier who was martyred in the early fourth century. Contrary to what you may have mentioned, the accent most widely used in the States is Neapolitan due to the millions of Italo-americans who claim ancestry from the Campania region it is also universally understood by most other southerners. Cynthia was an epithet, or descriptive phrase, for Artemis, the Greek moon goddess. Add remaining ingredients. She was the mother of King Richard the Lionheart and King John and ruled as regent when Richard went on the Third Crusade. Amato means beloved. Top 100 Male & Female Italian Names & Meanings, 30 Gender-Neutral Italian Names For Men & Women, Italian Names Diminutives For Males & Females, Italian Names And Surnames With Vowel And Consonant Ending, Best Italian Names For Restaurants & Meaning, The Most Common Italian Last Names By Region. The names we have are Louis, Jasper and Beauden. Darlington, (English Origin) Means "the settlement of the people of Deornoth". Theyre distinct in styling yet surprisingly unique, giving you a taste of the Italian countryside without a plane ticket. Carina: Little beloved one. Dovizia? Fun Fact: Mario comes from the Roman family name Marius, held by the Roman general and consul Gaius Marius, among others. (at least in the South) f . Bertha 12. Fun Fact: Giovanna was a popular name during the Italian Renaissance, ranking at 347 in 1427. Meaning: Short form of Italian names like Fiammetta or Fiorella Fun Fact: The name day (onomastico) for Alessandro is August 26 in honor of the martyr St. Alexander, patron saint of Bergamo. So deep, and a truly good person to name your child after. There were many other italiani children in MY generation who had these names also in my communities, including Corrado, Settimo, Serafina, and the like. Take a peek at our international baby names and our top 1,000 baby boy names for even more great ideas. 20 Italian Baby Name Classic Italian Names - Woman's Day Maddalena is the name of a neighborhood in the old town area of Genoa, Italy. In popularity, Lisa overtook the more traditional Elizabeth in the U.S. in the 1950s. more about the name Nicia, Origin: Italian Its enduring beauty makes it special. more about the name Massima, Origin: Italian more about the name Pamina, Origin: Italian Italian mathematical logician Agata Ciabattoni is a professor of the faculty of informatics at the prestigious TU Wien, known for some time in English as the Vienna University of Technology. According to Ancestry.com, my dads name was Almond and my uncles was Depedo. Italian Girl Names and Italian Boy Names for Babies - Happiest Baby Fun Fact: The Italian poet Dante Alighieri (known simply as Dante) portrays Beatrice Portinari as his guide through paradise in "Divine Comedy," which was completed in 1320a year before his death. I can stay hours telling my relatives names! This Italian, feminine form of Xavier could be the name of choice for those of Italian heritage or fans of a particular professor from the Marvel X-Men Universe. Ambra is a form of Amber referencing the gemstone or the color. Skirting the top of the charts with variants is effortless with Italian boy names. Thinking of an Italian name for your baby boy? b. Anything you can add on the lore and history of old-fashioned Italian names will be welcome! Fun Fact: In Italian, Chiara is pronounced KYA-ra. more about the name Balia, Origin: Italian In the U.S. in 2012, the only year there were figures high enough to register, five babies were given this Italian girl name. Hope you get down there real soon. That is a combination of paternal sicilian0 and maternal calabrese family. Flossie 7. If you like a name that sounds old-fashioned, but prefer a modern first name, consider using the older name for a unique middle name. Vintage and old fashioned names have become popular for the last decade, but many vintage names, such as Oliver, Theodore, Leo and Henry become extremely common; some might say overused. Both my dad and my uncle changed their names when they were adults, which I never knew! Hamilton. Consequently, this name is likely to earn some raised eyebrows. This unlikely relative of Jasmine and Yasmin would be a great choice, paired with Giacinta if you were looking for a couple of floral names for twins. This elegant name means "God is gracious". Both Flavia and its more elaborate sibling, Flaviana, began as Ancient Roman family names. Filomena combines friend, lover with mind, strength, force. At one time, Michelina was a reasonably common girls name in Italy and among Italian communities in the U.S. RELATED POSTS: 50 Strong Scottish Boy Names With Meanings; 50 Unique & Popular Gender Neutral Names; 45 Beautiful Old Fashioned Baby Names for Boys and Girls; 60 Cool & Unique Italian Boy Names for Your Bambino. Esther 3. 50 Vintage Baby Names: Meanings & Origins - Verywell Family Rather than dying, he was carried to heaven on a chariot of fire. Fun Fact: Joel is a prophet in the Christian Old Testament and Hebrew Bible. much more appealing than the old-fashioned Mario, and is a charismatic member of the Maximus/Magnus family. Fun Fact: Paulus was an ancient Roman family name. Meaning: War Meaning: Fortunate Thats like having foreplay without actual intercourse!! Other notable contenders with romantic vibes are Lorenzo and Carmelo. Giacoma is the Italian feminine form of James. 8. Carmela was a popular name in both Spain and Italy, as well as being a relatively common name among immigrants heading from those countries to the U.S. Caterina is an Italian form of Katherine. more about the nameBolsena, Origin: Italian Fun Fact: In the book of Genesis in the Old Testament, Sarah was the wife of Abraham and, as the mother of Isaac, was childless until she was 90 years old. Below are just a few of my favorite Italian names for boys with meanings that are just plain awesome. 121 Old Fashioned Girls Names: Traditional and Timeless Vintage Baby My great grandfather was Olimpio Titalion Mosti of Pisa. Armani Origin: Italian, German | Style: Modern | Pronunciation: Ar-manh-ee Meaning: Originally an Italian surname, made super famous by fashion designer Georgio Armani, this Italian name is now used for both boys and girls as a first name. Weird Pulp, Episode 15: Intrigue on the Orient Express | The Griffin's Crier, Fortunato [for-too-NAH-toh] (lucky, but this may also be the name of a saint), Gioconda [joe-COND-ah] In Italy, an alternate name for the Mona Lisa is. In Hebrew, it is a name for a "supplanter." Jolene Harrell. Contents. Glad you read my comment. Stir. Silvio), Pompeo (a.k.a. Shockingly Pretty Vintage Names for Girls Gianno is an Italian variation of Johannes. Beeman. Alden Old friend. Fun Fact: Michele Ferrero invented Nutella and developed a chocolate empire. 25 Most Elegant Baby Girl Names Straight From Italy - Moms When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. 1 The top 20; 2 Geographical origins; 3 List of surnames; 4 Further reading; The top 20 . SC. Fina, short for Serafina, means fiery one. 30 Old Time 'Grandma' Names That Are Making a Comeback My Mothers family had the more unusual names: Paolina, Augustine Rose, Vuittina (she changed her name to Neada because she hated her given name), Rosa, Giuseppe, Tuillio, Nunzio, and Jioseppina. The Italian girls name Annunziata means announced. Fun Fact: St. Matthew was a tax collector called to be one of the apostles and is ascribed the authorship of the first gospel in the New Testament. Because it is close to the harbor, Maddalena has always been the economic heart of the city. Adele. b. However, once one of the Roman emperors began to use the male form, Flavian, as a forename, other people joined in. Aristocratic Baby Names- Names for Classy Individuals This old fashioned name means "woman" in Italian. 2. Bambina Origin: Italian Meaning: Child more about the name Bambina 5. 150 Medieval Names, Meanings and Origins - FamilyEducation These are the top Italian boy names from 2019 in Italy in order of popularity: The following Italian names sound unique and modern despite their traditional meanings: If youre looking for something short and cute, then go for one of these Italian boys names: The following Italian boys names evoke strength and powerqualities you might like to evoke in your babys name: Have you found an Italian name on this list thats just the best for your baby boy? You could completely go unexpected, too, with a bold choice like Battista or Xanto, or take a spin with the epic car name, Ferrari. It is the moment when the Virgin Mary is visited by the Angel Gabriel and told of the imminent birth of Jesus. more about the name Piera, Origin: Italian However, the correct pronunciation is akin to the meaning Joy-ah. Cosimo means decency, order. The length of Italian Names: How Long Are Italian Names? Eloisa is the Italian form of Eloise, meaning healthy.