Take the Loma exit (exit 15), then travel west on gravel frontage road south of the interstate. The Kokopelli Trail is a difficult bikepacking trail. This incredibly scenic trail takes you along the Colorado Plateau and through colorful stretches of Utah as well as in and out of valleys. . Stretching along public lands, Kokopelli's Trail is an epic journey on the Colorado Plateau. The Kokopelli Trail is an 136.4 mile multi use recreational trail that goes from Fruita, CO to Moab, UT. Checkout the Colorado Trail Transportation Guide for train options if you want to fly into Denver and take the train to Grand Junction. However, Kokopelli's Native American origin has other meanings such as a fertility deity, and among Hopi, a humped-up . Although this trail has been completed in less than 11 hours and 14 minutes by pro cyclist Lachlan Morton, for the rest of us, we can expect to be out from 2-6 days depending on how many miles you want to cover each day. } You can get to Rabbit Valley and Dewey Bridge with a 2-wheel drive vehicle. But theyre even farther than you think. Although they all had different intentions for their rides, both Kaitlyn and Kurt rode hard and fast to set two new fastest known times on the route. Non-stop vistas of far away mountains and canyons might lure one into a sort of topographic pomposity. I am a bikepacking addict who also happens to be an above knee amputee. I would have gladly traded out for either of those bikes when it the trail started getting a little chunkier. The Xlite is our overall winner in our Best Backpacking Sleeping Pads guide, Our loaded bikepacking bike on the Kokopelli Trail, Surly Ogre with 27.5 x 3 tires and wheelset. Click here to login, or start an account if youre not yet a member of the Bikepacking Collective. A section of the trail, the Kokopelli Singletrack, begins just outside the . Moab Bikepacking 101 - Rim Tours You might also be able to get water from a spigot at Westwater Ranger Station, but this source is not always operational. Petzl Bindi, which is a favorite of other Treeline Review writers and featured in our Backpacking Guide to the South Dakota Centennial Trail. Bikers most commonly ride the Kokopelli Trail southbound, starting at the Loma Trailhead and finishing in Moab. This Kokopelli Trail Guide will give you everything you need to know. #fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_layout_15.fca_eoi_layout_widget { Fully packed bikepacking set up for the Kokopelli Trail. Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat Arizona Trail Race. Its a good idea to do some research (I read current trip reports) or make a few calls to check the flow of streams and rivers to be sure you know how much water to carry at each point you fill up. The race includes the following categories: Kokopelli 100 Ultra Marathon Individual 104 miles with 11k of climbing, Kokopelli 100 Ultra Marathon Relay same course as the individual but with 2 to 4 people. One consideration is to bring a, If you want to execute a successful trip, it will certainly behoove you to do some checking and planning during the weeks leading up to your trip. This epic bikepacking adventure promises an incredible final descent as you wearily make your way into Moab. Sign up with your email address to be the first to know when we release new gear reviews! Kristina Ritchie (@get_terrestrial) Instagram photos and videos, .fca_eoi_form{ margin: auto; } .fca_eoi_form p { width: auto; } #fca_eoi_form_1856 input{ max-width: 9999px; }#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_layout_name_field_wrapper {display: none !important;}#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_layout_description_copy_wrapper {display: none !important;}.tooltipster-sidetip.tooltipster-borderless.tooltipster-optin-cat .tooltipster-box .tooltipster-content { color: #fff }.tooltipster-optin-cat.tooltipster-sidetip.tooltipster-top .tooltipster-arrow-border { border-top-color: #d63031 !important }.tooltipster-optin-cat.tooltipster-sidetip.tooltipster-bottom .tooltipster-arrow-border { border-bottom-color: #d63031 !important }.tooltipster-sidetip.tooltipster-borderless.tooltipster-optin-cat .tooltipster-box { background-color: #d63031 !important }.fca_eoi_layout_inputs_wrapper { background-color: unset !important }#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_form_input_element::-webkit-input-placeholder {opacity:0.6;color:#595252;}#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_form_input_element::-moz-placeholder {opacity:0.6;color:#595252;}#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_form_input_element:-ms-input-placeholder {opacity:0.6;color:#595252;}#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_form_input_element:-moz-placeholder {opacity:0.6;color:#595252;}#fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_layout_15.fca_eoi_layout_widget div.fca_eoi_layout_submit_button_wrapper:hover, #fca_eoi_form_1856 .fca_eoi_layout_15.fca_eoi_layout_widget div.fca_eoi_layout_submit_button_wrapper input:hover {background-color:#b96701 !important;} Repair Shops & Related Services NEC. Bikepacking on the Kokopelli Trail Photos and words by Joel Caldwell The Kokopelli Trail is a beautiful route winding from Fruita, Colorado to Moab, Utah. We test. Every time I reach this point of the trail, I wonder if Ive taken a wrong turn, but then I check a map, realize Im on the route and laugh at myself for choosing to do this. Heres what several members of our four-top riding group had to say: The Kokopelli Trail is a beautiful route winding from Fruita to Moab that combines primitive roads of all varieties with surprisingly technical single track to keep you guessing about what lies around each bend. Moab Brewery is the only brewery in the town of Moab. There is one option for airlines and two car rental: GJT is the closest airport that has a reasonable cost and minimal logistics . width:100%; By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. The Kokopelli Trail starts near Loma, Colorado which is about 15 miles west of Grand Junction. After at least 6 failed attempts in the mid-1990s, Gary became the first to ride the 140-mile-long Kokopelli Trail self-supported in one day. Bikepacking on the Kokopelli Trail - Joel Caldwell I have attempted the Kokpelli 3 times and completed it twice. I'm not a road rider, never will be, thumbed it at every truck that passed but no one picked me up, probably looked too dirty and smelly by this point! I love the Bar M Trails just outside town for their flowy singletrack trail goodness. The White Rim Trail is one of the most iconic long-distance mountain bikepacking rides in the West. See a problem? You can camp almost everywhere along the route, too. This Kokopelli Trail Guide was put together for people like you, in hopes it would make taking that first step of planning easier and get you on the trail faster. Two long climbs topping out at 8400 will test your fitness and the final descent along Porcupine Rim will blow your mind. Knowing what to expect as far as water sources, weather forecast, trail condition, and detours, are going to be key to having the best possible outcome. If you want to execute a successful trip, it will certainly behoove you to do some checking and planning during the weeks leading up to your trip. Riding the trail on a fat bike, I hardly noticed the extensive sections of sandy desert Jeep roads. South L, CA. To facilitate these efforts, we rely on our Bikepacking Collective and the greater bikepacking community to call attention to critical issues and opportunities that are discovered while riding these routes. How to Take Care of Your Feet on a backpacking trip, How to take care of your backpacking tent, Backpacking Little lakes Valley to Gem Lakes, Best Freeze Dried Backpacking Meals for 2023, Top 10 Things to Do in Redwood National & State Parks, Climbing Mt Whitney in A Day (Or Two): Hiking the Mt Whitney Trail, Californias Rae Lakes Loop: The Complete Backpacking Guide, How to Make the Most of One Day in Death Valley: A Quick Itinerary, 10 Creative Things to Do in Crescent City, CA. More. Kokopelli 140 MTB Relay A choice your own adventure. Bikepacking is generally in the backcountry, but you can backpack on local trails. From the parking lot for the Marys Loop trail system the Kokopelli winds its way southwest over improved roads, four-wheel-drive roads, pavement, and single-track. It really is ATV road the entire way between fruita and moab, some sections were very desolate with no trees where I would not have wanted to camp but found great spots both nights that were off the road a bit and felt remote enough for a nice backcountry site. The Kokopelli Trail is a popular ride between the Western Slope of Colorado and Moab in Utah. The Kokopelli Trail is divided into nine sections, each with its own unique terrain and scenery. Kokopelli Trail - Backcountry MTB // Industry Nine - Pivot Pro From the trailhead at Loma, after a quick gravel traverse, the route starts with 10+ miles of mesa singletrack overlooking the Colorado River. When you click on the links to purchase gear, we may get a commission without costing you an extra cent. Top 10 Bikepacking Routes in the US - Mountain bike trails & Mountain A huge to congrats to Lael, Kaitlyn, and Kurt for getting out there and making it happen. I rode the latter half on a Monday and Tuesday and I think this really helped with traffic, not sure what this would have looked like on a weekend but I think it's worth it if you can go during the week! Once youre in the La Sals, youll probably find a stream or two to collect water from. Kokopelli Trail Guidebook from Bikerpelli, Trip Ideas, Where to Go, Backpacking Trip Guide, Backpacking Trip Ideas, Backpacking Trips, backpacking, backpacking trips, oregon trips, oregon, oregon coast, corvallis to sea, c2c trail, c2c, Backpacking Trip Ideas, Backpacking Trip Guide, Trip Ideas, Where to Go, where to go, Backpacking Trips, backpacking, backpacking trips, colorado, colorado backpacking, brandon lampley, Bikepacking the Lower Deschutes River Trail, Guide to Cycling the Great Allegheny Passage. The 142-mile multi-use trail stretches from, Although this trail has been completed in less than 11 hours and 14 minutes by pro cyclist. Kokopelli's Trail - Wikipedia At Treeline, we want you to buy right the first time. Westwater Ranger Station is a short detour away at the T-junction after the short pavement section through Coal Draw. Over the next 50 miles, youll do a lot of climbing, but the next ten miles will be the steepest. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Find out what makes bikepacking the Lower Deschutes River Trail unique and why its Oregons best trail for your first overnight mountain biking trip. You might be able to get water from a spigot here, but dont count on it. These are primitive campsites so dont expect much as far as amenities go. Find details on the three most recent issues below, join the Bikepacking Collective to get it in the mail (anywhere in the World), or click here to find a collection of selected stories in digital format. The Kokopelli Trail A Bikepacking Adventure. - Get Terrestrial You may try and see if one would drop you back off in Fruita. The Kokopelli Trail starts near Loma, Colorado which is about 15 miles from Grand Junction. Do you have a zipper or pull over? If youve learned a few things or have been entertained, consider becoming a Patreon member. This is certainly not a trip for bringing your dog or someone just starting out with biking. This Kokopelli Trail Guidebook from Bikerpelli is also helpful for planning your trip. Moab Motorsports does ask that you let them know youre leaving your car with them ahead of time. Water is a big challenge on the Kokopelli Trail. The Kokopelli Trail is a classic bikepacking route that spans 140 miles of rugged jeep roads and singletrack through some of the most captivating terrain in the area. Bikepacking - One of Seven Project With more than 61 trails covering 486 miles you're bound to find a perfect trail for you. Many of the BLM campgrounds lining the trail do not have water, or if they do its not potable. More here. Starts at the Westwater Airstrip. Image via Bureau of Land Management 1.Kokopelli Trail Trail Length: About 150 miles one-way Days to complete: 3-5 Riding : Mostly doubletrack and singletrack Over the Edge bike shop suggests people park behind Suds Brothers Brewery at 127 E Aspen Ave, Fruita, CO 81521. This story may contain affiliate links, which help fund our website. The Kokopelli Trail begins with ~15 miles of singletrack above the Colorado River before a few dozen miles of 44 tracks, gravel roads, and two-tracks through badlands and over ledgey mesas before crossing the Colorado River at Dewey Bridge. Passing the torch: A Kokopelli Trail do-over - Rodeo Adventure Labs, LLC Kokopelli Trail; Best of Moab Mnt. Kurts finish time was 10 hours and 56 minutes. No suspension, just a set of 50c tires squeezed on there, and man it was awesome but truth be told I think it would have been even more enjoyable on a hardtail with a front shock at the very least. After a climb to the infamous Castle Valley Road to the summit, youll be graced with an amazing descent with stunning views of Castle Valley as you make your way into Moab. On the 142-mile Kokopelli's Trail, a group of bikepackers race against dusk on Porcupine Rim, a. There are unmarked turns, and its not always easy to see the brown carsonite trail markers at junctions. The Kokopelli Trail starts outside Fruita, Colorado, on some of the best singletrack in the Mountain West. There are a ton of options out there. The . Moab has a small regional airport you can fly to from either Salt Lake City or Denver. Indian Trails, 28685 Smith Rd, Romulus, MI, Transportation Services For Issue 08, we invited several contributors to return and pick up where earlier trips and ideas left off and also feature a handful of first-timers whose perspectives weve long been eager to share Issue 07 Issue seven is a celebration of courage and discovery of what were capable of when we dont let others expectations define us Issue 06 examined a diverse range of topics, including embracing aloneness, rekindling a sense of adventure, grappling with failure, and many more Kaitlyn Boyle and Kurt Refsnider both set new FKTs (fastest known times) on the 140-mile Kokopelli Trail over the weekend. Patagonia Womens Nylon Capri Pants cut into shorts (discontinued). Bikepacking The Kokopelli Trail Treeline Review The following page is broken down into sections highlighting The Project's main categories. Another option is to check Craigslists ride share page for various cities where you think someone might be travel to or from Moab. Our Best Mountain Bike Lights guide also covers other mountain bike-specific lights. There are some pretty steep climbs on this trail with the payoff being some exhilarating descents. Fisher Creek was flowing at mile 107.4 as well. I was thinking about this quite a bit while riding as I saw this question posed a few times elsewhere - I am not a gravel rider so my opinion on whether you can or cannot do it may not be the most educated, but there were long stretches of sand and slickrock and chunky jeep roads that I don't think would be too much fun on a gravel bike. Happy planning! The full list of serves includes: SLC is an international airport so there are a few options. I have bikepacked the Kokopelli on a fat bike with 5-inch tires and a plus bike with 3-inch tires. The trail starts in Loma, CO within the McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area, at the Marys Loop Trails. Or toss some spare change inthe PayPal tip jar. Website. Its a high-quality down quilt that has reliably kept me warm for 1000s of trail miles. Each issue features a collection of inspiring writing and beautiful photography. You could plan to finish on a day a friend was driving back from Moab. A mix of dirt roads, desert Jeep tracks, and singletrack trails, Good fitness levels and intermediate mountain biking technical abilities required, The route is almost entirely on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land with lots of great camping on public land, Caching water is almost a requirement to bikepack the Kokopelli Trail self-supported, The Kokopelli trail connects singletrack, Jeep roads, and dirt roads following the Colorado River. There are plenty of camping options along the way including the BLM campgrounds listed below; some may require a small fee. } If you're interested in a dedicated sleeping bag instead of a quilt, see our Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags guide. } I used a Cedar Ridge Outdoors Leconte 20* quilt. Once you arrive in Moab, there are countless mountain bike trails to explore. It connects some of the best singletrack around in Fruita and Moab with 100 miles of ATV roads. The best time to thru-bike the trail is from March/April to the end of October. I'm on a small bike so not a ton of space in the frame, and I will die before I bike in a backpack, so I was able to put all my water on the frame, clothes and sleep setup on the handlebar, and food in the hip pack. As an affiliate partner, One of Seven Project earns a commission for purchases made through any product, brand logo links, or banner ads on this page. This incredibly scenic trail takes you along the Colorado Plateau and through colorful stretches of Utah as well as in and out of valleys. Read more on the About Me page. There are some steep climbs on this trail with the payoff being some exhilarating descents. Checkout all our available products in our store,and thanks for the support! Fruita and Moab are full-service towns with grocery stores, restaurants, and cafes. @media screen and ( max-width: 100% ) { Youll have to carry everything you need for the entirety of the trail. Ive used this inflatable pad for several years now. The first 15 miles of the Kokopelli are technical singletrack. There are several hike-a-bike sections of this trail. Copyright 2023 Treeline Review LLC. Continuing through the Marys Loop area, youll leave the river and parallel Mack Ridge before the river returns along with views of the Black Ridge Canyons. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. The final climb will be on a paved road, but by this point, youll probably be ready for easier riding. Bikepacking is exciting and rewarding form of off-pavement, adventure bike touring. This Site and our mobile application contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. CNY is closest airport but also the most expensive and with the most limited options. The Ogre is one of our favorite bikepacking bikes in our Best Bikepacking Bikes guide, MYOG clone of the Swift Industries Zeitgeist, Our tent set up for bike camping on the Kokopelli Trail, MSR Pocket Rocket 2 stove, which is the overall winner in our Best Backpacking Stoves guide, Toaks 750 mL pot, which is the overall winner in our Best Backpacking Cookpot guide. Click on any trail below to find trail descriptions, trail maps, photos, and reviews. No stove helped with space and water. KOKOPELLI TRAIL 2021 (Documentary) | Our First Time Bikepacking - YouTube Nowhere else can you find scenery quite like this! One group dropped water at Rabbit Valley and Dewey Bridge, the other group drove the dirt road in an SUV to Fisher Valley and left a cache there. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. You should be in excellent physical shape and have previous bikepacking experience to attempt a self-supported bikepacking trip on this route. Dirt roads, paved roads, and singletrack with some technical areas. From there, the trail traverses through the Cottonwood Canyon, Beaver Mesa, and all La Sal Loop sections leading up to your final stretch. The experience was humbling and quite challenging. The full list includes: DIA is the largest of the options but is also the furthest away. Grand Junction also has a regional airport and car rental options for caching water. This requires a 9 mile pavement ride to the Kokepellis Trailhead, but offers a safe parking solution. If you can ride intermediate-level mountain bike terrain, the Kokopelli Trail will be a rewarding experience. Be sure to stop at Milts as you enter town for a milkshake. The lack of suspension limited my speed on rough downhill, meant a good deal of discomfort on washboard and rocky sections, and my gravel bikes drop bars just weren't very forgiving on my shoulders as it was a bit of an aggressive riding position.