Every detail was amazing, from the scent to the custom bridgeton drinks. Sorry June just saw this message from you.Ill contact Rita, but know she doesnt go out much these days and doesnt keep too well I wish I could have helped you more with photos Ill ask Rita again if she has any. See more photos of British life in poor housing:Glasgow, Liverpool(Volume 1 and Volume2), Newcastle, London, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham(Volume 1 and Volume 2), Salford, Leeds, Whitechapel (London) andBradford. 231 were here. Glasgow Memories- Brilliant Film of Old Glasgow Ron Windward 1.94K subscribers Subscribe Like Share 251K views 9 years ago Excellent footage of Old Glasgow Film 1 - Trolley Buses Gorbals to. Situated at the corner of Main Street and Tullis Street, The Scotsman has been a Bridgeton landmark since the 1870s. Betty remembers Rita very well and as we are coming to Glasgow for a few days in August we wondered if you and Rita would like to meet us for a coffee. I do have more information, but feel it best if we communicated one to one. To use any history or images, please make sure you link back to our site. Any information or pictures would be much appreciated thank you :). The experience has now sold out in Los Angeles! It was equipped to show films from its opening. Bridgeton and Calton formed the heart of Glasgow's old East End until half the area was swept away in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Reviews aren't verified, but Google checks for and removes fake content when it's identified. Owner George Wood traded as a victualler and spirit merchant here until the 1850s. 3 Dalmarnock Road, 13 Bridgeton Cross, Glasgow. The Glasgow Chronicles - Number 106 at Bridgeton Cross. - Irene And, if youre honest, youll just drag up from the depths all the times youve hated or felt passionately about something and play it. Catherine I knew some people from around Law st Yate st.. Tommy Boyle who went to Crossmaloof skating at the same time as me.. he had a nice pal who was Tommy as wellwho came from there.. my pals granny Mrs Gallagher lived up the top flat in Yate st. To mitigate the risks associated with Covid-19, the Event Provider reserves the right to implement health restrictions, warnings or guidance at any time and communicate these to visitors on the Event website and in person at the Event site. I have many even of the old cupola coming down and the new one going up into postion.. Pub too were plentiful, and at one time there was 27 Public Houses on Main Street alone. All born in Bridgeton. Read, highlight, and take notes, across web, tablet, and phone. This very old Bridgeton bar has closed its door many times in recent years. 2023. DONATE, Before the money moved in, Kings Cross was a place for born-and-bred locals, clubs and crime, See what really went on during that time in NYC's topless go-go bars, Chris Stein 's photographs of Debbie Harry and friends take us back to a great era of music. and been trying to get any old photos . I hope to hear from you. Waverley then moved to New Barrowfield on the edge of the Parkhead district. Yes: to inquire about a full session buyout, please contact us, Yes, and there will be several photo opportunities throughout the experience. The Olympia Theatre of Varieties was typical of the Edwardian Baroque style variety theatres which were being built at the time. Parking is also available nearby at Pershing Square for $20, space permitting. It started as a small weaving village in 1705, when the third John Walkinshaw marked out a portion of his Goosefauld estate for rent. Dale Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow, Scotland. Cinema Treasures is a registered trademark of Cinema Treasures, LLC. awful isnt it and she only lives in Blantyre I remember you as if yesterday June you were a lovely wee girl.. and I loved your Kiltie shoes , do you remember them.and can you remember me dark hair , a little older than you. A variety of drinks will be available to purchase at the experience. Old Photographs Of Bridgeton Glasgow Scotland tourscotland 31K subscribers 36 6.9K views 3 years ago Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Bridgeton, Scottish Gaelic: Baile na. [2] The area was incorporated into the city of Glasgow officially in 1846. She was born in 1938 and went to Barrowfield Primary. carpet factory were regular lunch time customers . Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Bridgeton, Scottish Gaelic: Baile na Drochaid, a district to the east of Glasgow city centre. A new library, offices & media centre were built on the site, which use the original faade as their entrance. It opened on 18th September 1911 and had a seating capacity of 2,000 in orchestra stalls, dress circle and balcony. The Dominion Bar. 1991. I remember it well. From. Jessies maiden name was mcnicol, her mothers surname was sergison! The building directly behind the Umbrella is that of Caledonian Railway Co. Station. Much appreciated! Betty Flynn lived in London Rd. http://flickr.com/photos/dickyhart/50896641/, http://flickr.com/photos/monkeyiron/376622738/, Please read our community guidelines before posting . To change your ticket date or time, email us. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Second back row left/right (1) Archie Neilson, (11) Anderson Piggot, (13) Matt Adam. Many will remember this old pub as Tony's Bar named after licensee Anthony (Tony) McAulay 1950s to late 1970s. Next door is the British Linen Bank and the next again premises is occupied by Charles Lang a Hatter. Price: Starting at $39 per person. Two further photos can be seen on flickr, taken during demolition in June 2011, had a seating capacity of 2,000 in stalls and dress circle. The Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens which opened in January 1898 with the Nelson Monument at the rear. They had 4 kids, my mother Madge,her siblings, Michael,Danny, and May. Knowing what was to follow, the venue was apposite. Unfortunately there will be no cloakroom at the venue. Our esteemed members of the Ton will experience the true meaning of sophistication and style under a hand-painted 30-foot ceiling, majestic balconies, and magnificent Austrian crystal chandeliers; they will also find beautiful vaulted wood ceilings, graceful colonnades, and a hand-carved frieze in the reception area. I lived at 15 Dale st remember the fish shop across the road. Smoking or vaping is not permitted within the venue. Location: Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles. The library also houses Scotlands first BFI Mediatheque, where the public can view a vast selection of BFI archive material, as well as films from the Scottish Screen Archive so another nice cinema connection. Believed to be the only surviving family business from the 1800s in the area, Millers 1893 continues to operate.[7][8]. 1991. Pinterest. The Doulton Fountain and the Nelson Monument are in the middle with the Templeton Building to the left. Today. Before the tenement building was erected there was a pub here occupied in the 1870s by a lady called Sarah Muir. (202) See bridgeton glasgow stock video clips. The bar is cashless; only cards will be admitted. my granddad was donnald Morrison swan and gran alice revill swan from gourock, looking for any relations or any information for family tree, WAS BORN IN PENTLAN PLACE BRIGTON BEEN TRYING TO FIND A PHOTO OF THE OLD STREET WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PHOTO OF THE PLACE I WAS BORN. Front row left/right (4) Mr Duncan Revies mother. It was just behind the swings just off fielden street. Im now a widow, and I am trying trace back as much of my pass,to show my children, and not forgetting my six grandchildren. Visitors experiencing symptoms associated with Covid-19, or who have recently been in contact with a person experiencing symptoms, are asked not to attend the Event. To read more on the history of the Barr family please check back soon [], Filed Under: C, London Road, LondonRoad Tagged With: Bridgeton, David Auchterlonie, John Graham, London Road, Queen Mary Street, The Cot Bar, March 22, 2017 by John Gorevan Leave a Comment, 75 Main Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow. She supplied meals to sit in or take away , ( pies and peas mince and totties,steak pie Click below to find out how you can support the site! The Cot Bar. The Snug when Robert McKay was the licensee. Please request the Biltmore validation at the Fever ticketing desk in order to park for a reduced price of $24. Middle row: (2) Mr Currie, (3) Mrs Currie, (4) John Currie, (5) Jean Sinclair, (7) Billy Trotter, (8) Meta Carwood, (9) Robert Currie. to see the old signage back.. Great bit of info there about Milliars and how fantastic that its gone back to the past with the brickwork.. another step forward from the past for Bridgeton. Our string quartet will play iconic pieces inspired by the Bridgerton soundtrack while our two performers tell you a beautiful love story through regency, modern and acrobatic dance. My Moms sister was Emma Graham nee Wagstaff they were my cousins . Shops, merchants and pubs - including, of course, the famous Sarry Heid (Saracen Head) - are featured, along with views of the Gallowgate, London Street, Abercromby Street, London Road, Bellgrove Street and more, not forgetting Bridgeton Cross and the 'umbrella'. For more information, please see the ticket section, You can find your ticket and its QR code in the Fever app, within the Tickets section. Mr Patrick Donaghue owned this premises in 1911 and was subject to a very important case that affected publicans since the passing of the Licensing and the Children Acts. In 1897 [] An early shot of Glasgow Green possibly between 1889 1897. Just as the Duke and Daphne found love in season 1, watch as a love story unfolds before you eyes at The Queens Ball. Hi Janet hope this is of help to you.. funnily enough I lived in Bridgeton until they shoved us all out into the wilderness and I ended up at 991 Gartloch road in the early 70s.. The event is a 90-minute immersive experience based on the Bridgerton show. No, i dont suppose u do. The Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust, one of the largest voluntary commercial and passenger vehicle preservation groups in Scotland are based at Bridgeton Bus Garage which opened on 5 June 1965[12] on a site bordered by London Road to the south, Fordneuk Street to the West, Broad Street to the north and Rimsdale Street to the east. After County bingo operators closed it down it became a furniture store, but they moved out in 2000 and the building remained empty. Art Deco, Baroque, Previous Names: Tickets are issued in the buyers name and may be used by guests who are not the named ticket buyer. All content on this site is Copyright Old Glasgow Pubs (OGP). Carpet manufacturers advertisement circa 1910. Anne. 2005. There was a pub on this site in 1849 occupied by publican Joseph Porter. Fridays: 4:30pm, 7:00pm & 9:30pm. St. Petersburg. The Dominion Bar August. Closed Down. Over the years many publicans have come and gone, some of them staying longer than [], Filed Under: Main Street Bridgeton, MainStreetBridgeton, S Tagged With: Arthur Mone, Arthur Mone's Bar, Bridgeton, Bridgeton Pubs, Main Street, Shaw's Bar, January 25, 2017 by John Gorevan 2 Comments, 152 Old Dalmarnock Road,Glasgow. Though electrified in 1960 as part of the Glasgow North Bank suburban electrification scheme, it was closed to passenger in November 1979 when the Argyle Line reopened (the recommissioned station on this route at Bridgeton effectively replaced it). In this capacity it later passed to Glasgow City Council who when they ceased using it for that purpose were prevailed upon to rent it out for vehicle preservation. Is this you or someone you know in these pictures? At the kitchen sink in a tenement flat Glasgow 1970, View from kitchen window of Maryhill tenements.1970, Mother living with her children in an overcrowded single end tenement flat Glasgow 1971, Mother and sleeping child, single end tenement flat, Glasgow Maryhill 1971, Mother and her baby on the staircase of her condemned Gorbals tenement 1970, Married couple in their tenement flat Maryhill 1971, Father and children Gorbals tenement 1970, Couple in a Leith tenement flat, Edinburgh 1972, Boys setting fire to waste bins Gorbals 1970, Baby sleeping by the drains in a tenement courtyard Glasgow Maryhill 1971, School girl in a Glasgow tenement courtyard 1971, Mother takes her baby inside her condemned tenement block Gorbals 1970, Mother and child living in a damp and semi derelict tenement, Glasgow 1971, Father and child in a Maryhill tenement 1971, Children playing in an abandoned tenement Maryhill 1971, Children playing in a Gorbals tenement courtyard 1970, Children playing in a derelict tenement, Glasgow, Child waiting for his parents to come home Glasgow tenement 1971, Child crosses a Glasgow tenement courtyard 197, Boys delivering newspapers Maryhill tenement back 1971, Unemployed colliery worker, Glasgow tenement 1971, Teenage girls waiting in backyard of tenement block Maryhill 1971, Sisters sharing a chair in a Gorbals slum tenement 1970, Mother and baby in Gorbals tenement courtyard 1970, Father and babe in a Gorbals slum tenement 1970, Family living in an overcrowded tenement flat Glasgow 1971, Children playing in a Glasgow tenement courtyard 1971, Children at play in a Maryhill tenement 1971, Child on a tenement staircase, Glasgow 1971, Child in damp semi derelict tenement flat Glasgow 1970, Boy negotiating flooded entry in tenement block Maryhill 1971. Bridgeton Cross is the location for Bridgeton railway station (opened in 1895, closed in 1964, reopened in 1979) which is on the Argyle Line connecting the area to central Glasgow. The Queen herself is hosting this grand ball so be on the watch because she will be looking for her Diamond of the Evening. . - Alexander Rodchenko, 1921, The Shop Prints, Sustainable Fashion, Cards & More, Get The Newsletter For Discounts & Exclusives, Photographs of Londons Kings Cross Before the Change c.1990, Photos of Topless Dancers and Bottomless Drinks At New York Citys Raciest Clubs c. 1977, Debbie Harry And Me Shooting The Blondie Singer in 1970s New York City, Jack Londons Extraordinary Photos of Londons East End in 1902, Photographs of The Romanovs Final Ball In Color, St Petersburg, Russia 1903, Eric Ravilious Visionary Views of England, Photographs of the Wonderful Diana Rigg (20 July 1938 10 September 2020), Photographer Updates Postcards Of 1960s Resorts Into Their Abandoned Ruins, Sex, Drugs, Jazz and Gangsters The Disreputable History of Gerrard Street in Londons Chinatown, The Brilliant Avant-Garde Movie Posters of the Soviet Union, The Wonderful Posters and Artwork of Charles Gesmar (1900-1928), Get-Ahead BOAC Speedbird Adverts from the Flight Magazine 1940 1970, The Joy of Signal Boxes On The Railways in Scotland in the 1980s and 1990s, Beautiful British Travel Posters by Henry George Gawthorn, Newsletter Subscribers Get Shop Discounts. They too were Lithuanian (Pijus Bujauskas and Marijona Bujauskaite). The ultimate web site about movie theaters. Does anyone have any old plans of a cemetery that was at Brook st/Broad st as far as I can find out. Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Bridgeton, Glasgow | Glasgow - Facebook Bridgeton - Parkhead History Went on to doing house purveying ( weddings funerals ect ) Workers from Tempeltons No. Reproduced bykind permission of Scottish Motor Museum Trust. Im researching my late uncles army service for my mother, and was just wondering if anyone remembers them and there family they were living in Allison street and there name is DUFF THANK YOU. Would be great to hear from anyone that lived there in the 50s/60s. There are only three men in the photo, one behind the notice with collar and tie who is obviously senior management and two more to the right who would appear to be foremen. ", Went beyond our expectations. A number of local buses also pass along London Road and Dalmarnock Road. To the memory of the men of the 7th Battalion The Highland Light Infantry who fell in the great war 1914-1918, Hi, does anyone have any old photos of the ( Dwellings ) in MACKEITH STREET AROUND 1950 1960 ,I was born at 53 Mackejth Street Hi Donna, Im June. The faade will be preserved. home made soup ect ).neighbours would queue up with plates and jugs for their carry outs Explore immersive set recreations and photo opportunities, interact with actors dressed in exquisite period costumes, learn group ballroom dances, and present yourself the Queen - all in a magical Regency era ballroom setting. I am trying to find information on Charles ONeil married to Jeanie Morrison,they lived at 18, Reid Street. Bridgeton has one of Glasgow's original Carnegie libraries, designed by the Invernesian architect, James Robert Rhind. Used with permission. For years Ive told people about the workmen killed when a crane collapsed on Broad st while they were bulding the mens model, now demolished. A photograph of one of the current occupants of the building: I have a photo of Arcadia st if you d like to contact me by email. It was later taken over by her Son, Jim and his mate,and it was them that opened the one in London Road. In 1924 it was taken over by Scottish Cinema and Variety Theatres, later to become Associated British Cinemas(ABC), who would operate it for the remainder of its cinematic life. G40 4LH. My granny and Grampian lived in Forneuk Street. The Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow - University of Glasgow The City of Diamond Bar is excited to announce the launch of the Diamond Bar Town Center Specific Plan. Tel: 0141 553 2456. Sit back and enjoy the show while sipping on our delicious Bridgerton-inspired specialty cocktails. I never felt so included in an event like this. Below: Copyright Herald and Times Group. Scotland Tourism. Closed Down. The Cross is also the location for the Olympia Theatre (built 1911), which after lying abandoned for many years has undergone rebuilding and reopened in 2012 as a library and community facility for the people of Bridgeton. Would be intetested in hearing from you. That's the old Bridgeton Cross,I remember. Bridgeton Cross by Ian Mulholland circa 1953. Hi, The next premises is Henry Reid a Wine & Spirit Dealer who once stayed at 8 Clydeview Terrace. 1941 Marquis st ?) Yes she used to go around with my big sister margret Quinn she was was her friend my family lived in madras street I was born in 20 madras street myself in 1948 had to big brothers Malcolm and Eddie and my big sister margaret Also 2 younger sister June and sheree they were only babies when we moved to carntyne we are all scattered over the place now myself and a few of us in England for yrs but still got margaret and June in Glasgow go up quite often sad to say my wee mammy and daddy are both gone but I had a great childhood in bridgeton me and my best pal Kathleen savage who I am still friends with today have lots off great memories and talk off them often.