Such names start with A. You can check out my Yoruba Kids TV channel here https://www.segilolasalami.co.uk/yoruba-kids-tv/ its filled with cartoons for kids but the spoken language is mostly in Yoruba. 25/ fev. ORK s kan ptk t wa Omo Yorb gb son by ni s ork kk. There are also several "Aina" in the scandinavian region. ORIKI YORUBA - Series of Oriki Yoruba ORIKI AINA - Yoruba Proverbs and translation in english | Facebook There's beauty in the Yoruba naming ceremony - Segilola Salami It used to be on the seventh day of birth (for females) and the ninth day of birth (for males). A j bba r Also, you will find some interesting Yoruba Oriki names and meanings of these names that we have listed below. These refer to elephants, lions and parrots respectively. A j nw ara As it is with languages, finding direct translations do not always do justice and after deliberating, some have said that orks can best be described as a type of lineage ode (this is majorly in reference to a certain category of orks, this category being Ork dl). jn Yoruba Oriki name meaning a child we fought for to have. I was not aware of this, I am used to calling a tigerEkun, which I believe is themore popular Yoruba name. Luxury Lifestyle & Wellness | Spa & Natural Grooming Products Company Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Ork orl (ork for regions or towns). Orikis are praise names that express the parent's desires and hopes for the child. Oriki idile a maa so nipa irisi iran, isesi, eewo iran, ise iran, aleebu iran ati beebee lo. Oruko Abiso meaning Acquired Names Ork - Welcome To Yorb Lessons Some other Yoruba male Oriki names that we could not find their meanings: Akanda, Ajasa, Asamu, Ajabi, Adio, Aweda, Akano, Amoo, Ajao, Alao. oriki ishola ni ile yoruba WHAT IS ORK? - orikiwa A child that came out with the legs instead of the head is called Ige. Then the statement made sense to me,a tiger gave birth to a masculine offspring. It is every parents desire (I hope) that their child(ren) have better lives than they did and this is reflected in the symbolic items used in the Yoruba naming ceremony. Yorubas put a lot of effort into finding the right name(s) for their child as we believe that a person lives out the meaning of their names. Kashimawo (lets wait and see). According to Elebuibon (2011), a traditionalist and a Yoruba scholar, he wrote that : Oriki Ibeji: Yorubas' Eulogy for Twins & Meaning - Nigerian Finder A child can be given as many names as possible, but in most Yoruba families, the pre-destined (oruko amutorunwa) stands as the first name of the child. The Yoruba people have very rich cultural oral literature, oriki is on of them. Ajadi Yoruba Oriki name meaning the end of a conflict. Tib j k rk n Abiku loosely translates towe give birth and the child dies. When I had my daughter, I told my uncle that I would like to have a traditional naming ceremony for her, rather than a religious one and his reply was that no one holds traditional naming ceremonies anymore, only pagans do (thanks Arab invasion and colonialism, the mind phuckis very real). Thanks for the beautiful comment, Mr Saka. These orks praise and eulogise the deities whilst speaking of their attributes. Latosa city, the president of the country. It is the tradition in some parts of Yoruba land to give chlidren oruko ork, that is; names that praise sing a child, for instance; Aduke, Akanni, etc. fn wn go wr akk d Yorb : ork orl, ork l, ork ork mtrunw, Recenziile nu sunt verificate, dar Google caut coninutul fals i l elimin atunci cnd l identific, K ni orik yi fi hn p hj abuda Amusnn, w ork: fn wn go wr akk d Yorb : ork orl, ork l, ork ork mtrunw. I believe the best way to preserve this culture is through the exploitation of the Information Technology (IT) tools and resources, especially the World Wide Web (WWW). Apparently, the influence of Islam in Yoruba culture was responsible for the eighth-day naming ceremony. The Yorb name n ( n n) which literally translates to one who should not be beaten is a predestined name (Ork mtrunw given to a child born with the umbilical cord twined round its neck. This suggests a somewhat cynical attitude in the parent(s). The town of Ogunmola, Olodogbo Keri in battle. ORAL TRADITION IN AFRICA : POETRY AS A MEANS OF PRESERVING CULTURAL HERITAGE AND ENGENDERING SOCIAL CHANGE AMONG THE YORUBA. The Yoruba people have very rich cultural oral literature, oriki is on of them. Aina is an oruk amutrunwa ("name that is brought from heaven", usually given to a child based on the circumstances of their birth). orks because, depending on their category, it may not always be a public speech. Les Yoruba possdent une littrature orale tendue, mais la forme littraire la plus importante pour marquer les vnements tels que mariages, naissances, funrailles, crmonies d'attribution de noms, ftes, etc., dans la vie yoruba, est la posie. The Yorubas believe that the Oriki and knowledge of it has a spiritual essence. Oriki - Yoruba Praise Poetry - Ondo Connects New Era The name is also given to praise a child for the pride they bring to the family or to describe and summon particular character traits that they believe a child was born with. Daruko orike re . MEANING OF AINA: Not to be beaten (Eni tia ko gbodo na). The Yorubas believe in the power of words, you breathe life into words that you say. Philosophy in 'utenzi' metre. Almost all Amazon links on this site use my affiliate links. After the Yoruba traditional wedding ceremony (igbeyawo) where the wife has been married with isu and oka, the prayers for childbirth begin. Akanbi It means one that is consciously or deliberately born. Kni ork gan? | Yoruba Traditional & Cultural Renaissance, Oriki: The Unknown Yoruba Praise Song You've Never Heard. AKEWI OODUA - ORIKI AINA . DEFINITION: Aina We have created for you a compilation of top Yoruba Oriki names and their meanings, for your convenience, the list is divided into male and female names. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Expression of ideas and values in post-independence Swahili historiographic poetry. Yoruba girls are named after the circumstances in which their birth took place, or as a reflection of the wealth, they bring to their family. Is appearing on a podcast show an essential growth strategy for authors and businesses? Required fields are marked *. One born on fourth day. 1. Ainas are also said to be lovers of palm oil. This name is known as 'orko mtrunw' (pre-destined or generic name) in Yorubaland. Continue reading to find out more about Oriki. Your email address will not be published. Im Yoruba and my fiction books to date are inspired by Yoruba mythology. Popular orikis exist for erin, kn and also for oddr. What do you think of this post about the Yoruba naming ceremony? Thats interesting to know. Thank you so much Ma. DEFINITION: Aina in Yoruba is a female child that has her umbilical cord tied around her neck at birth.Ojo is the opposite of Aina. Contrary to the popular belief that Taiwo, being the first born of the twins, is older than Kehinde, it is said by Yoruba elders that Kehinde is older than Taiwo because Taiwo was sent by Kehinde to have a taste of the world and announce his coming as well. The child after Idowu is calledAlaba(female) orIdogbe(male). Ork Ilu (Ork for Towns and Streets/regions): (LogOut/ Ibejis are believed to be the king of children and their birth into a family means the arrival of fortune. Ainas are also said to be lovers of palm oil. ORK, a Nigerian word from the Yoruba tribe, meaning your crown, your heritage and your inspiration is a product range created to make women and men 'skinfident' utilizing only the best, efficient & potent natural ingredients & skin secrets from the richest resource Continent in the world, Africa.ORK Group comprises of a multi-channel spa, farm to skin retail product company and a . Egungun gbgb nasn. A j jran t tbi Hi, this is a comment.To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them. Oriki Ile Yoruba Pdf Download -- urlin.us/4l23j. Ayinde Meaning one who arrives when praised. Niyi Akingbe, Christopher Babatunde Ogunyemi and Abiola Akinkugbe. Yoruba - Oriki Ilorin Afonja (The Cognomen of the Ilorin People) Ilorin afonja enudunjuyo Ilu to jinna s'ina To sunmon alujana bi aresepa Ilu tobi to yen, won o leegun rara Esin l'egungun ile baba won Akewugberu ni won A s'adura gbore Aji fi kalamu da won lekun arise kondu kondu Won e lu lagbadu Kewu ni won n ke Eegun wa bura Bo ba denu igbo ri n can be eulogized as: Oruko Olorun Ni Yoruba, Oriki Olorun, Oriki Oluwa. Oruko Amutorunwa (Pre-Destined Names) In Yorubaland - OldNaija It is believed that a person who does not know his Oriki loses his spiritual essence. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Alligator pepper is to bring goodness into the life of the child. ORIKI OLORUN ATI JESU / PRAISE POETRY OF GOD AND JESUS. Yoruba customs existed aeonsbefore the Avatar was produced. ni t o fn ni n aridaju fn t y ainipkun / Guarantor of our Security John 5:29; 10:28. The naming ceremony is held on the 8th day of birth. The truth is, our Culture is dying fast,and nothing is been done. Yoruba Oriki names are names Yoruba people give to their children for symbolic reasons. The child, whether male or female, born after the twins is called Idowu. * Oni This is a neurotic child who at his/her birth cries all day and night It is important to note that having a pre-destined name does not mean that a child cannot have other names. oriki ishola ni ile yoruba. Oriki Ibeji (jr) - lbrk n rosn roolo For orks, its most popular meaning when translated is a panegyric (at least in a good chunk of movies and general sites or applications that translate). (LogOut/ gbn tknrin tobnrin ni a l s n n. Through music , film , sports and travel , Yorb Language is going places. Kbys ba Olway, dndn a'de d'r, ba ad-k-il-r'j ba ade-k-n-rrn, Arwl b ynb, fi'l wu ni, O f'n wu ni. Even if they do, probably their third name, Thanks for stopping by egbon. The other day, a reviewer wrote a review of my childrens book Useless Warrior Princess and stating similarities to Avatar: The Last Air Bender. n is believed to be a child of royalty as the umbilical cord on the neck at birth symbolizes bead. n kk l gn This basically means that the woman would give birth to children. ni t o fn ni n aridaju ati lti d ibi igi y / Guarantor of the Tree of Life Rev. Usually, they praise certain characteristics that people think a child possesses. There are many versions and thus renditions vary depending on who is asked. You really cannot have too much sweetness in life I think, especially with all the bitterness in the world today. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The child born after Taye and Kehinde (as long as they share the same mother) is called Idowu. However, a panegyric is, a public speech or published text in praise of someone or something and this is not always the case with. Alagbe It means the one who survived to be carried. N il Yorb k s nnkan n t k n ork yl eranko , igi, ouje , l, yn, brkn, dl tb orl. Glad you found the article useful. If you ever see any similarities to anything I write, just know that it is inspired by Yoruba culture/customs/beliefs. In the Yoruba culture, each settlement or minor tribe has its own Oriki. Akanni It means one that is special to have. Check out the new look and enjoy easier access to your favorite features Unfortunately, this appears to be declining like many other traditional practices. gbgb t n gba ar dgb ba at'y-r b agogo. 2. Oriki orisa (Oriki for gods/goddess): There are different that emanate from different communities about the gods or goddess they worship. If the child is classed as an abiku(see fiction Abiku: A Battle Of Gods) then theres quite a range of names given to the child asking the child to not die again. MEANING OF AINA: Not to be beaten (Eni tia ko gbodo na). . ORIKI OLORUN (1000 names of GOD) 80-81 kindly join the thread by dropping your generic name in the comment box below. Akanji Akanji means the one whose touch gives life. It reminds me of who I am, where I come from, and what I represent. ORK - d Yorb Rw Bebe idi obinrin a ma gbeleke duro, won atun ma fi pon omo ye. Oriki Obinrin Yoruba - Ondo Connects New Era Oriki Ile Yoruba Pdf Download | Aleatnissa | remesepolo Thanks for reading to the end. Oriki Olodumare Olorun: Names of God in Yoruba Language, God's Names in lpo n kl Thanks for that, Olawale. (LogOut/ Ork akinkanju (ork for warriors). Ork eranko ati nnkan(Ork for animate and inanimate objects): Yoruba people have ork for animals and non-living objects. (Internet) http://www.arabaelebuibon.com/2011/03/power-of-oriki.html accessed on 12/01/2012, I am an Information Scientist that is passionate about the preservation of Yoruba culture. In most cases, though, the male equivalent is named Oj. Idowu, she is likely to run mad because the spirit of the stubborn Idowu will fly into her head and make her go insane. (LogOut/ E se gan ni o ori mi wu bi mo se kaa tan , Asiko yii gan ni mo mon nipa Ara Mi I was not familiar with the wordsako andogidan, so I decided to look into it. Aina is the name of a female (or sometimes male) child born with the umbilical cord around his or her neck. 1. Aremu It means the one needing to be consoled before being picked up. Oriki Ori - Odu won a fi daa bobo . POMES DE LOUANGE EN TANT QUE DONNES HISTORIQUES: L'EXEMPLE DES ORIKI YORUBA. Ork ork apej/lj (ork for people that is their affectionate name). Came second or the second born child. It gets rid of dull skin and keeps lines and wrinkles in check, leaving the skin glowing. o Also, some names have special ork sometimes because they have birth process, the day/time they were born or remarkable event around the time they were born, for instance Ojo/Aina, Olugbodi, Abidemi etc. Or after he/she drinks palm oil directly. ni a b b b k t By browsing this website, you consent to the use of cookies. Posted on 25 fevereiro, 2023 by 25 fevereiro, 2023 by Opemipo, just seeing this now, pls. 2. Oriki is a kind of Yoruba literary genre used to inspire people. Also, thank you for sharing the names of the children who are born after Twins. (2011). ORIKI AINA - Yoruba Proverbs and translation in english | Facebook Beautiful Yorb : there are 60+ million Yorb speakers in the world today. Aina: A Yoruba Term Of EuroAsian Origin - Culture - Nigeria - Nairaland Why is oriki oruko starting with letter A. Caut n cel mai mare magazin de cri electronice din lume i ncepe s citeti chiar astzi pe web, pe tablet, pe telefon sau pe dispozitivul tu eReader. By that definition, theres nothing wrong with being a pagan, if anything, I think its a good thing. While the brave, heroes and the warriors in a community have ork with which they are identified, traitors, the compromises in a community also have their ork. Ork ounj (ork for food). Oriki can also take the name form as well. Salt gives food taste, so the childs life would not lack salt. 22:14. It is said to be the most popular of Yorb poetic forms and is passed down from generation to generation. w ork: fn wn go wr akk d Yorb : ork orl I therefore call on all my Yoruba brothers and sisters to support this project of codifying and preserving our oriki for generations yet unborn. This confirms the proverb that says No jb bears j. Just what I needed for my aesthetics assignment. We asked for a girl child. LRUN yanu / GOD of miracles cannot be explained by natural or scientific laws. These may be supplemented with praises from traditional drums notably the gangan (talking drum) by palace drummers. A gb p wn n ma n gboy bkan n ni wn ma tt bn, epo pupa s ni r bn wn. While j is strictly for a male children, n can be for both genders. English translation. Alani It means one we survived to have. Learned more about other Yoruba names, Thanks for stopping by, Im glad you enjoyed reading the post . Ork ork mtrunw (ork for names based on conditions one was born with e.g a breech baby, a baby born with the umbilical cord round the neck,twins, triplets and co). If one is male, a praise name is usually expressive of something . Below is the oriki ibeji (Yoruba twins panegyric) and its translation in English. Akande It means one who purposefully came. n gd ibi document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Design a site like this with WordPress.com. For females,Aduke(one who everyone likes to take care of), Ayoke (one who people are happy to care for),Arike(one who is cared for on sight),AtinukeorAbike(one that is born to be pampered),Anike which come from a longer name meaning we have a crown and it is as delicate as an egg. Ese pupo. I promise, this is sustainable. Some of the names that exist for God in his ork include; Orisa nla, Olodumare etc. Yoruba Oriki names are names Yoruba people give to their children for symbolic reasons. A lot of them were murdered, while some left, the tribe was called "Ainu". Follow(function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if (d.getElementById(id)) return;js = d.createElement(s);js.id = id;js.src = "https://www.bloglovin.com/widget/js/loader.js?v=1";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "bloglovin-sdk")). Does that make sense? Its because I dont want our culture to die out, thats why I do what I do. oriki ishola ni ile yoruba - labtar.ufes.br Ork possesses a full definition of its owner. why some names is not been saying there meaning like Amoo my own orisi name. The word Oriki can be translated as panegyric which is a form of praise poetry. Before I get into it, I wanted to just put it out there that everything I do is for my daughter and to preserve our heritage. Also, some names are formed from Yoruba proverbs. a reviewer wrote a review of my childrens book Useless Warrior Princess and stating similarities to Avatar: The Last Air Bender, One blogger wrote a post with the Yoruba names of different (mostly wild) animals, please use Google Translate with a pinch of salt, the influence of Islam in Yoruba culture was responsible for the eighth-day naming ceremony, Prefixes to Yoruba names and their meaning. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Oral poetry and hegemony: Yorb Ork - academia.edu Similar praise poems turn up throughout much of Africa (Zulu izibongo, Basuto lithoko, etc.). The name usually carries a praise poetry with it which is used to inspire the bearer of the name. If a male child is born shortly after his dad or grandfather passed away, the child is called Babatunde or Babatunji or Babajide (meaning father has come again). In my quest to find out more about ako and ogidan, I think this post would be complete if I wrote a bit about the Yoruba naming ceremony in general and not just share what I learnt about akoni ogidanbi. Ork is used during individual or communal ceremonies, for individuals or the community. Ork Olorun (Ork for God): The Yorubas understand and respect the existence of God, as the supreme force and power that holds the universe. Yoruba names are grouped into five categories. In this article, we are focusing on Oruko Oriki. Change). Nu am gsit nicio recenzie n locurile obinuite. Oruko Inagije meaning Alias Yoruba Cultural Identity and creativity in 9ice Abolore Akande, How Worship Becomes Religion: Religious Change and Change in Religion in d and Salvador, Barber - How Man Makes God in West Africa, "Ork", Women and the Proliferation and Merging of "r", Quotation in the Constitution of Yorb Oral Texts, Praise, Anti-Praise and the Limits of Memory: Critical Reflections on Toyin Falolas Adulation, THE HISTORY AND HERITAGE OF DOBA ARARO MI COMMUNITY THE HISTORY AND HERITAGE OF DOBA ARARO MI COMMUNITY (Ile-Ire District, Ifelodun L.G.A, Kwara State, Nigeria, The body unbound: Ritual scarification and autobiographical forms in Wole Soyinka's Ake: The Years of Childhood, Folklore in Yoruba Novels: A Potential Tool for Culture Documentation and Preservation, The "Ketu Nation" of Brazilian Candombl in Historical Context, The Use of Tribal Marks in Archaeological and Historical Reconstruction: Isale Abandoned Settlement as a Case Study, Deploying Orature to Meet the Challenges of Unemployment in Nigeria, The Social Contexts of Verbal Arts in Yoruba Indigenous Healthcare Practices, Mythological Recuperation and Performance as Agency for Genealogical Return in Djanet Searss Afrika Solo, Unsung heroines of the Hebrew bible : a contextual theological reading from the perspective of woman wisdom, Symbols and Ritual: The Socio-Religious Role Of The gbn Drum Family, Ll fn wn: Ork in Contemporary Culture, History of the yoruba people: culture and tradition, In Honour of a War Deity: Obedu Festival in Oba-Ile in Osun State, Nigeria, The Yoruba Concept of Ola in African Society: A Historical Overview. This type of oriki is gendered so the female ork ork apej is distinct from the male. Praise is the English word for Oriki. It is a name given to a son that is valued and cherished because of the victory fought and overcame to have him. Alabi It means one born to the white cloth (of batala). (LogOut/ document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); http://www.arabaelebuibon.com/2011/03/power-of-oriki.html, WHAT IS ORK ? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Yoruba Oriki Ilorin Afonja (The Cognomen of the IlorinPeople), Yoruba Oriki Ilu Osogbo (The Cognomen of the OshogboPeople), Yoruba Oriki Ile Ife (The Cognomen of the IfePeople), Universities in Nigeria: Name, Type of Ownership, Web Address and Year ofEstablishment, Yoruba Oriki Aina (Eni ti ako gbodona), Constitutional and Political Development in Nigeria. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. It is the tradition for wives to learn the ork of their husbands even before marriage. Its our combined efforts that can bring about change, Very great read!!! DEFINITION: Aina in Yoruba is a female child that has her umbilical cord tied around her neck at birth.Ojo is the. WHAT IS ORK? Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Dada is also called Dada awuru or olowo ori and are known to be strong and stubborn; * Oke This is a child born with unrupted membranes all over his/her body; * Olugbodi This is a child born with supernumerary digits (six fingers); * Ige This is a child born with breech or footing presentation i.e. Enter the email address you signed up with and we'll email you a reset link. Bi o ba maa lowo, If you want to have money, Beere lowo orii re, Inquire of your head, Bi o ba maa sowo, If you want to start trading, Beere Lowo ori re wo, Inquire of your head, Bi o ba maa kole o, If you want to build a house, Beere lowo orii re, Inquire of your head, Bi o ba maa laya o, If you want a relationship . 5. Each household within a tribe or settlement has it own Oriki. These are the orikis for Kings and chiefs of towns and villages. 3. Thanks! (LogOut/ Thank you for sharing this information about the Yoruba naming ceremony. Academia.edu uses cookies to personalize content, tailor ads and improve the user experience. Its the opposite of Joojo. Home / Uncategorized / oriki ishola ni ile yoruba. Babatunde literally mean father has come again; * Yetunde This is a female child born shortly after the death of her grandmother. It is said to be the most popular of Yorb poetic forms and is passed down from generation to generation. jgb Yoruba Oriki name meaning fought to carry this child. Orikis extend even beyond people to eulogise towns, indigenous foods, idols, animals and many more. Yetunde means mother has come again; * Babarimisa This is a child whose father fled at his/her birth. Akangbe It means one consciously or deliberately carried. Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings - Culture - Nigeria , , .. Click Here: https://www.irrigator.ru/irrigatory-cat.html, Please, translate the eulogy to English Oriki Ibadan: The Eulogy of Ibadan & Meaning - Nigerian Finder Although ork is most of the time meant to praise sing, it also used otherwise. Kindly do check back. Yoruba also have Oriki, a kind of praise recital used to emphasize the achievements of the ancestors of the various families.