These will tend to not brown as fast. Add the instant pudding mix and beat until there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Taste & texture left me feeling over saturated. Add the remaining whipped cream to the center of the pudding and decorate as desired. delicious!!!!! This enzyme is what causes your bananas to turn brown or black as time goes on. You need this mixture very thick before continuing. ThisMagnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipehas layers of creamy pudding, bananas, and Nilla wafers. The answer to this question is: it depends. This post was first published on ShaundaNecole.com on May 6, 2020. This classic dessert has layers of creamy vanilla pudding, bananas, and a layer of vanilla wafers. Highly recommend! It will not fit into a 913 pan. Make the pudding mixture: Add cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl and beat until smooth. Set the oven to broil to toast the top until golden. Your email address will not be published. Not even vanilla extract, vanilla bean, and definitely not other brands of vanilla wafers or vanilla cookies. Thinly slice the bananas crosswise, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. It makes 15. ", "Made two layers in a round decorative dish for a picnic," says Cindy Vandanna. Best part is you can get our cookies for streetside pickup. Been making this for years now, and love it. You are right. Cause the pudding box added for 2 cups of cold milk. I found the recipe on the back of a Food Lion grocery store brand of vanilla wafers! ***Do you mean brushing the sliced banana pieces? Splash in about 1/4 of the milk and start blending mixture with a whisk. Amazing! Repeat twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer. ***also sliced banana pieces or whole banana?***. Believe me. Absolutely couldnt tell any difference between what we get from the store and this recipe. It really is yummy. Because this is completely no-bake, its a perfect make ahead dessert. This banana pudding recipe is so darn simple that anyone can make it! But hey, we need some fat too! Breakfast for my Valentines Coconut Syrup, https://thebigmansworld.com/sugar-free-condensed-milk/. Next, layer 1/3 of the bananas, and 1/3 of the pudding mixture. What is Black folks Southern banana pudding? Banana pudding does not freeze well. Magnolia Bakerys recipe, my foot! Im flattered to hear you say its just like your moms! Im sorry. Whisk together pudding mix and milk. Repeat the layers. People went in for thirds and fourths. You simply add an additional layer of chocolate pudding and crunchy buttery Nilla Wafers for pure chocolate bliss! This is the family-friendly cookbook for anyone looking to plan quick-and-easy meals and wants a way to bring people together, feasting on food which can only be described as scrumptious. When making the Black Southern banana pudding recipe, its not recommended to try substitutions for Nilla Wafers. Equally delicious. 3. I went to mix the whip cream and pudding from the fridge and the pudding was not mixing smooth! If you added cream cheese how much to add to this recipe. Hello! But how do you make banana pudding the Black way? Its just banana pudding, Dianna. (This can also be assembled as individual servings; see Cooks Note.) Serve and enjoy Merry Christmas! Such a simple, old-fashioned dessert, but it was the highlight of the dessert table. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing! You are brilliant!!!! Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight. I once made the mistake of following the directions on the jello box ( dont ever do that) just stick to this recipe!! box Nilla Wafers Instructions In a large bowl, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined - about 1 minute. Serve banana pudding in slices. Your email address will not be published. Mix it with a mixer for 2 minutes. In a stand mixer with a whisk, beat the sweetened condensed milk and water until combined. Id argue that the same holds true with yellow cake but thats another story. You need the power a hand mixer or standing mixer provides to whip this well. BUT sadly my dad missed out because hes diabetic. Add in vanilla and stir. First, I used a trifle dish and layered my vanilla wafer cookies,. I made the same mistake in getting cook and serve and panicked. But its best not to try substitutes of cookies when making Southern banana pudding the Black way. In a stand mixer with a whisk, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. This recipe uses sweet ripe bananas. How to Make Magnolia Banana Pudding Recipe Mix sweetened condensed milk, cold water, and cold milk. Whisk the pudding mix into the milk.2. Use a 9 inch square pan, a large bowl, trifle dish or individual dishes. Youll never be able to look at other banana pudding the same way once youve tried this soul food delicious delight Southern banana pudding prepared the Black way! Then do that. Not Pudding Cream filling. Repeat the layering twice more. I bet it will taste so much better if you made your own. James Hemings, an enslaved African-American chef in Virginia, created baked mac and cheese and used whole milk as the recipes vital ingredient. It would be best if you looked for a firm banana with bright yellow skin and brown spots. Best for any holiday or potluck. This dessert is best served within 12 hours of assembling. Black Folks Southern Banana Pudding Recipe. box of Nilla Wafer cookies (and cup of crumbled cookies), 4.6 oz. We've made it all happen right here in West Texas. Spoon the remaining whipped cream on top and smooth the surface or use the back of a spoon to form pretty swirls on the surface before serving. Cover tightly and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours. The pudding is also a milk mixture that requires refrigeration. My husbands favorite dessert is banana pudding. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or up to 8 hours, no longer (because bananas will start to brown see Notes for tips on preventing browning below). Spread the pudding on top of the bananas. Place milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt into a saucepan and place over medium heat. So I used 3 boxes of pudding because it said 3.4oz of pudding. Add the pudding mix and beat well. It asks for 3 cups of cold milk, but not sure how to estimate the water and condensed milk. Please read my disclosure policy. Pour in remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Just remember its not a trifle. Banana pudding tastes more decadent and more luxurious when topped with heavy cream. Ingredients for Southern banana pudding the Black way. This soul food dessert and the darling favorite of the South is loaded with fresh, juicy peaches and topped with a light and airy cinnamon sugar crust. Allow the banana pudding to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Im guessing your bananas gave off some liquid? Using a small spatula, spread the vanilla pudding evenly over the bananas. (Black folks call that greedy!). Final layer (on top) was pudding mixture. This can change the flavor slightly so brushing them is better than soaking them. In general, banana pudding doesnt last much longer than a couple of days. This makes me so happy that you loved the recipe! Once the cream begins to thicken, keep beating on high speed until stiff. 4-5 ripe bananas, sliced Instructions Whisk together the cold water and sweetened condensed milk in a medium-sized bowl. is the secret ingredient for soul food banana pudding. Would you mind sharing your vegan version please! Continue to mix until it thickens. Perfectly sweet. Airy, creamy and delightfully reminiscent of childhood packaged snacks (thanks to instant vanilla pudding mix), this dessert is both a crowd pleaser and easy to assemble. Safety warning Contains: Egg, Milk, Wheat. I am making this recipe for the second time in three days. See this #HEBrecipe that's ready in 20 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. box of cook & serve vanilla pudding mix, Easy banana pudding theBlack way recipe instructions, Serve banana pudding in slices. Are you looking for an old-fashioned Southern bread pudding or a soul food African American beading pudding recipe? Mix until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain. In an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Separate eggs, placing the whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and the yolks into a saucepan. Fold in two-thirds of the whipped cream. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If youd like to use a trifle dish, divide the vanilla wafers, the bananas and the pudding mixture into 3rds and layer three times instead of just two. Even water neutralizes the ph and will slow down the browning if you rinse them in water. Buy It: Wilton 9x5-Inch Loaf Pan ($9, Target ) Buy Now. "So creamy, sweet and perfectly balanced. Assemble the dessert in a clear glass trifle bowl. Layer the mixture with the sliced bananas and vanilla wafers. I'm Lauren--a professional recipe developer who spends countless hours perfecting recipes so you can know with confidence that what you see is exactly what youll get. Priya Krishna, Featured in: The Power of Instant Pudding Mix, 431 calories; 26 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 48 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 28 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 224 milligrams sodium. Fold in the frozen whipped topping.4. With the mixer running on low speed, add the pudding mixture a spoonful at a time. How much cream cheese would you use for this recipe? Do not make it according to box instructions. For regular Jell-O instant pudding, thats a typical-sized box (theres also a larger one). 1) Pick bananas that are barely ripe. Also, its a serious crowd pleaser. Seeing this recipe makes me want some right now! Gently fold the fresh whipped cream into the pudding mixture until no streaks of pudding remain. It really is the best banana pudding with banana flavor. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. 2. When Chip and I were first married, it was a staple of his moms, and we usually enjoyed it on Christmas Eve. Total 2 hours and 20 minutes (includes chilling time). One clarifying question, am I just whipping the cream or am I making whipped cream topping with sugar and vanilla? Id appreciate any help! To make this you will need, Milk Banana Sugar Cornstarch Eggs Banana pudding base (banana flavored diplomat cream) To turn the banana custard into a banana pudding, I fold in stabilized whipped cream. My graduating senior requested this for his grad party! (PPO). Whip cream in large bowl until stiff peaks form. 2 Make instant pudding according to package directions using the cold half and half. Thank you so much for sharing!!! Ingredients Bleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Shortening (High Oleic Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil. Instructions were easy to follow , and produced a quick treat . Spoon the vanilla pudding into the bottom of 6 tall, 12 oz. Although its easier to buy it pre-made, it tastes even better homemade. I made this recipe a few months ago and it was so good! I know ow you feel I can never get enough of banana pudding! I wouldnt recommend making banana pudding more than a day ahead. Stir in vanilla. The time frame on this recipe is what makes it such a great potluck or holiday dessert, lots of mouths to feed means not worrying about what to do with leftovers. Whisk mixture until smooth and bring to a simmer. Just whip the cream plain with no sugar or vanilla. Set aside. I have made a recipe similar to this but without the water,it was milk.very delicious! Thanks! This is a quick and easy banana pudding made with almond milk and fresh bananas and it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to make and is no bake! In a medium saucepan, add milk and 6 tablespoons sugar. 1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed 1 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafers 14 bananas, sliced Directions Gather all ingredients. The less contact with the air the less they will brown. I dont think they use jello boxed pudding and you can really tell the difference. I know I can substitute the vanilla wafers and I can use sugar free pudding but what would I replace the sweetened condensed milk with? Thanks! The recipe says to chill for 4 hours but no longer than 8. Repeat the layering twice more. Im sorry but Magnolia bakerys pudding is vanilla pudding layered with bananas. <3, [] your idea of a dessert youd enjoy, these other recipes would be fabulous substitutes: Ultimate Banana Pudding, Perfect Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, Lemon Cream Pie with Fresh Raspberries, Mixed []. In a separate bowl, pour in the pudding mix and begin to slowly whisk in the liquid mixture, until it is smooth with no lumps, about one minute. Sound SO yummy. Once everything has had time to set, serve it up and enjoy! Provided courtesy of Bobbie Lloyd. If you prefer more coverage, make only two layers and use three cookies per layer. Share your recipes with Lauren using the #laurenslatest hashtag! Scrape pudding into a large bowl with a rubber spatula and chill while you prep the banana and condensed milk mixture (no need to cover). Once everything is combined, add 5 tablespoons of dry vanilla pudding (from the second package)and beat until you get a fluffier consistency. In a separate bowl, pour in the pudding mix and begin to slowly whisk in. My son will like this. In a separate bowl, pour in the pudding mix and begin to slowly whisk in the liquid mixture, until it is smooth with no lumps, about one minute. However, Ive tried doing it again, and for the life of me the pudding just wont thicken. Spread one-quarter of the pudding over the bottom and layer with one-third of the cookies and one-third of the sliced bananas (enough to cover the layer). I would suggesteating this banana pudding within two days of making it. Thank you! In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. As Robert Moss wrote in his article for Serious Eats, the first recipe appears to be from Good Housekeeping in 1888. And Ill only stand by my boxed is better comment for banana pudding and yellow cake. If desired, add a little spritz of whipped cream, top with Nilla wafer and a slice of banana. I, also put pure vanilla extract in mine. Banana pudding can be kept for three days in the refrigerator if packed tightly with plastic wrap or a lidded container. Add the pudding mix and beat until there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. This recipe has a few simple ingredients: Pudding, vanilla wafers, fresh bananas, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy whipping cream. Provided courtesy of Joanna Gaines. That isnt REAL banana pudding!!! You blend the pudding mix with the water and condensed milk. When I make this family favorite, I typically use my homemade whipped cream in place of dessert topping, but either is great.