Union Station also features a variety of retail stores, eateries, and offers a grand ballroom for banquets and weddings. My aunt had a similar layover a few years ago. I've not been to the museum, but the Wright homes are gorgeous. We never went anywhere by train. After grabbing my luggage from the train, my first course of action was obvious: Follow the hoard of passengers from the tracks to the station. 5 Smallest National Parks In The U.S. And The Best Experiences At Each, 7 Transportation Decisions Youll Need To Make Before Visiting Costa Rica, Our Favorite Hikes In All 50 States (2023), Celebrating Amtraks 50th: 8 Incredible Small Town Stops, 7 Tips For Riding Amtrak Across The Country, 14 Beautiful U.S. Enjoy an immersive wine experience at City Winery. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable. Film buffs will recognize the Great Hall from its appearances in movies like The Untouchables, My Best Friend's Weddingand Flags of Our Fathers, among others. Get the Divvy app: Android and iOS. We will have about 6 hours to spend near Union Station. We were here to take the amtrak Texas Eagle for first time but this building is worth a visit either way. $$ - $$$ Mediterranean Greek Vegetarian Friendly, $$ - $$$ International Vegetarian Friendly Vegan Options, $$$$ American Vegetarian Friendly Vegan Options, Historic Sites Points of Interest & Landmarks, Points of Interest & Landmarks Monuments & Statues. There is Metra train service from Union Station to "O'Hare Transfer" but it's (1) weekday only, (2) fairly infrequent, and (3) the "transfer" in the name means that you're a shuttle bus and airport tram . While killing time before heading to Ohare we decided to stop by and see the historical Union Station. Open 7 days a week Union Station closes daily between 1am-5am. You can't help but look up and around. The food area was currently closed due to COVID but later an employee came around and offered to get us sodas, snacks, etc., from a list he said was available. !" 11/06/2022 Cuisines: Bar Diner Pub Find a table Pret A Manger Be the first to review this restaurant 225 S Canal St RickMP: The water taxi & lake tour sounds interesting. Dj vu! http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Travel.html, This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Its a massive train station nearly the size of 10 city blocks and I felt lost. We are taking an Amtrak trip with a "layover" in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Daily activities, such as the opportunity to meet a zoo animal and ape training sessions, teach children about the zoo's many residents. 94% of travelers recommend this experience. This is the 1st leg of a total relaxation vacation. Explore different ways to experience this place. Even if you're not catching a train to anywhere, you really need to just step into this building and feel the history. We found 1,458 things to do for you near Union Station Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower 17,712 Reviews 233 S Wacker Drive entrance on Jackson Blvd (south side of building), Chicago, IL 60606-7147 7 minutes from Union Station Experiences from 439 See 35 Experiences Chicago Riverwalk 3,055 Reviews Chicago, IL 60601 7 minutes from Union Station We found 1,458 things to do for you near Union Station Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower 17,713 Reviews 233 S Wacker Drive entrance on Jackson Blvd (south side of building), Chicago, IL 60606-7147 7 minutes from Union Station Experiences from 669 See 36 Experiences Chicago Riverwalk 3,055 Reviews Chicago, IL 60601 7 minutes from Union Station If you have time to poke around, find the two Henry Hering statuesone holding a rooster and the other holding an owlwhich represent the around-the-clock nature of an outpost like Union Station. The tunnel from Union Station to Northwestern Station. Kids of all ages and interests will find something exciting to do in Chicago, from the heights of the Willis Tower to the exotic fish of the Shedd Aquarium. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. Youll find restaurants and concessions during the summer months, plus benches and lookout points, boat rentals, and water tours. more, Points of Interest & Landmarks Architectural Buildings. They have free snacks, TV's, and comfy chairs. One of the most beautiful stations in the United Stations, it opened in 1925 next to the Chicago Loop. These are the best experiences near Union Station: These places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station: Which are the best experiences near Union Station? the two floored amtrak club accommodations are also nice. Once inside, I stood for a few minutes taking in the enormity of the station as other passengers moved past me, not knowing where to go next. I found the lounge to be an oasis. Chicago is an ideal city for a family vacation, featuring many attractions for young visitors to enjoy in all types of weather. If youre a sleeping car or first-class passenger, spend some time relaxing in the Metropolitan Lounge (or, if youre a coach passenger, consider paying the daily fee for access) located in the Grand Hall. Is this where you should park for an eleven day Amtrak trip? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-41531863', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Chicago: It will be on a Saturday - mid morning to early afternoon. It's a building that fits the purpose in a visually pleasing way: very comfortable inside with more than a few places to eat in the food court. The facility cost $75 million dollars to build - more than $1 . They need real working security at the union station I find many unmasked trouble makers also homeless asking for money in the mornings you have crack heads Asking for money. If you are really into architecture, and Chicago is world famous for its, I would recommend perusing this site for all kinds of tours and other info. We who live in Chicago wouldn't dream of calling it Willisor Willie. I do wish they had clear marked parking for the facility. (Photo: Tim Boyle/Getty Images News/Getty Images ). If you want to take a bus from Union Station you could probably get on one on either Jackson or Adams which border Union Station. W1612 Litchfield Rd, Lake Geneva. We arrived early enough so I could wander around the Grand Hall and study everything. Clean restrooms. We live in La Crosse, Wi. My luggage like a giant, it's 30inches. Heres amap to help guide you through this historic Beaux-Arts beauty.Download aPDF of this map [link opens in anew window]. Uber ride came in no time and Asan from Bulgaria was friendly and professional. And Lou Mitchell's at 565 W. Jackson is walking distance. Interested in train travel? This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Union Station. lol. So callous and unapologetic in completely ruining part of our Christmas experience. Spend part of your layover on the Chicago Architecture Foundation Center River Cruise. If you like art, you can visit the Chicago Art Museum and see among other. If you don't mind spending some money, the Willis Tower is right next door and would be interesting. 98% of travelers recommend this experience. It's kind of a giant food court. Shedd Aquarium is one of the attractions for children near Union Station. They even texted me when the room was ready and allowed me to check in at noon with no additional charge. The Skydeck entrance is located on Franklin Street (the east side of the building). Thanks so much! The Clinton station is two blocks south of Union Station, and the northwest terminal of the Blue Line is under the O'Hare Airport main garage. Union Station is an iconic building and a marvel of modern transportation for nearly a century. These are the best experiences near Union Station: These places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station: Which are the best experiences near Union Station? @2023 Chicago Union Station. It's less than half a mile from Union Station. 233 S. Wacker Drive, ~5-minute walk or 2-minute drive from Union Station. Our train arrives at 9am and cant check into the hotel until afternoon. These cruises sell out quickly, so consider purchasing tickets in advance. The attached garage is best and less cost than hotel areas. There's a lot of good food to be had there, quite a few of the stands are outposts of good restaurants in the city. I think the Tribune Tower with its rocks from around the world is fascinating. Check with your hotel to see if they will hold your luggage until check-in. Taxis; Rideshare; Bike Share; She holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology from Stetson University. Try another? Up to 48% Off Drive-Through Safari at Safari Lake Geneva. Union Station also features a variety of retail stores, eateries, and offers a grand ballroom for banquets and weddings. Would definitely want to wait in the Metropolitan again if given the opportunity. When traveling within Chicago near Union Station, you may be close to some bus stations: CTA - 47th and Lake Park Terminal, CTA Bus Stop 1313, or Cta Bus . According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Union Station: journey begins with a visit to the Founders Room to collect our Golden Tickets. Union Station (Chicago) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go. The Polar Express journey begins with a visit to the Founders Room to collect our Golden Tickets. Restaurants near Union Station 225 S Canal St, Chicago, IL 60606-5702 Read Reviews of Union Station Sponsored JoJo's Shake Bar - River North 27 reviews 23 W Hubbard St "JoJo's Doesn't Disappoint" 02/26/2023 "Best boozy milkshakes! This will be our 1st trip without kids in too many years to count, so we don't mind some splurges. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. The Lincoln Park Zoo offers free daily admission to all visitors. Inside the station, be sure to take in the Grand Staircases in the Great Hall, made famous by the movie The Untouchables. As for chow, if you are not in a Pizza or Diner mood, Al's Beef just around the corner on Adams tosses out an excellent Italian Beef Sandwich. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. All products featured on TravelAwaits are independently selected by our writers and editors. Established . For a thrilling view of the city, head to The Ledge at Skydeck Chicago to take in the cityscape from inside a glass box that extends 4.3 feet out from the Skydeck on the 103rd floor of Willis Tower. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-41530204', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Wendella River/Lake tour. Sign up to unlock our digital magazines and also receive the latest news, events, offers and partner promotions. Things to Do at and near Union Station. The main attraction Whether you're waiting on a train or passing through. We came here to catch the Empire Builder Amtrak train to Seattle but I've always wanted to visit this station just to see its beauty in person. So when it was in the school library it was still fairly new. I was faced with about the same situation and my Hotel was more than accommodating in holding my luggage for me and had their house keeping staff tend to my room first. Dotted with factories and warehouses, West Loop is packed with various types of dining and nightlife options. We followed the young generation and we felt that experience was amazing. Is there wheelchair assistance available at Union Station? Millennium Park is bordered by Michigan Avenue to the west, Columbus Drive to the east, Randolph Street to the north and Monroe Street to the south. Having a compartment allows entry. Maybe it was a quiet weekend or time of day but very little people were walking through or sitting on any of the benches. Marriott Autograph Collection Hotels in Chicago, Curio Collection by Hilton Hotels in Chicago, Hotels with Military Discounts in Chicago, Hotels near Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower, Hotels near Museum of Science and Industry, Things to do near Columbia College Chicago, Things to do near Loyola University Chicago, Things to do near Chicago State University, Things to do near Northeastern Illinois University, Things to do near University of Illinois at Chicago, Things to do near Illinois Institute of Technology, The Art Institute of Chicago: Tickets & Tours, Museum of Science and Industry: Tickets & Tours, 360 Chicago Observation Deck: Tickets & Tours, Chicago Cultural Center: Tickets & Tours, Garfield Park Conservatory: Tickets & Tours, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Chicago, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Chicago, Conference & Convention Centres in Chicago, Things to do near Canopy by Hilton Chicago Central Loop, Things to do near La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Chicago Downtown, Things to do near Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago-Downtown, an IHG Hotel, Things to do near Residence Inn by Marriott Chicago Downtown/Loop, Things to do near Hyatt Place Chicago / Downtown - The Loop, Things to do near Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Central Loop, Beginner Scuba Diving Adventure w/ Videos in Honolulu, London Eye River Cruise and Standard London Eye Ticket, Day trip to Chandor, the forgotten capital of Goa, with guide, Private Day out in Chennai by Auto-rickshaw, Private Mahabalipuram day trip from Chennai with lunch & guide, Symphony Center - Chicago Symphony Orchestra, 90-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour, 45-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour from Magnificent Mile, 360 CHICAGO Observation Deck Admission (Hancock Center), See more experiences near Union Station on Tripadvisor, See more bars & clubs near Union Station on Tripadvisor, Discover over 1,000 restaurants near Union Station, Discover over 613 hotels near Union Station, Discover over 1,000 things to do near Union Station. It was late only 12 minutes from La Crosse and making it on time to Union Station, Chicago. The cruise, which lasts an hour and 30 minutes, will treat you to a view of the city from the water aboard Chicagos First Lady. Kids are able to observe a wide range of animals, including antelopes, lions, seals, tigers, wallabies and zebras. As I walked to the train tracks there was a little more activity but passage was restricted to ticket holders. Not an ideal way to spend a layover. Dave148: We were thinking of breakfast. Metra services areas like Wheaton, Barrington, Winnetka and Homewood, while Amtrak connects passengers to Denver, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, New York and othercities across the country. If you book with Tripadvisor, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your tour starts for a full refund. The Shedd Aquarium puts kids face-to-face with more than 32,000 animals. $16.77 $12.00. The last entry is 30 minutes prior to closing. We were shuttled to our train car at the appropiate time, and helped with our luggage. Open since 1925, Union Station remains Chicago's intercity rail terminal and the largest terminal for commuter trains. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Intersection of Clark and Ohio, ~9-minute drive from Union Station. Which places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station? This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. Good Morning! If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. Chicago Union Station is the size of nearly 10 city blocks, is the third-busiest rail terminal in the United States, and is Amtrak's overall fourth busiest station, serving about 140,000 passengers on an average weekday. Chicago Transit Authority (L Trains & Buses). 520 W. Taylor Street, ~13-minute walk or 4-minute drive from Union Station. You can do more than merely catch a train at and near Chicago Union Station, such as: . Thanks so much! Grab some Giordino's Pizza and you won't need to eat on the train for a week! Union Station and the Metropolitan Lounge. If you're just visiting Chicago and not taking the train, well worth the quick visit to see the interior. You could go to the Sears tower or go to millennium park to see the bean or the magnificent mile. Premier Chicago River Architectural Lunch Cruise, Chicago Favorites Ultimate Food & Walking Tour, Chicago in a Day: Food, History and Architecture Walking Tour, 45-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour from Magnificent Mile, 90-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour, The Escape Game Chicago: Epic 60-Minute Adventures. Register today and take advantage of membership benefits. Tickets are bought, but Im wondering if there are any ambulatory services available to take them to their train? There's a trip planner tool on the homepage of - http://www.transitchicago.com/, http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k5480757-Union_Station_LAYOVER_Help_for_Amtrak_Trip-Chicago_Illinois.html. When its time to board, an Amtrak attendant will make the announcement for passengers to form a line, then youll follow the attendant to the correct boarding track. Thanks for subscribing! Then, like now, the station was a major transfer point between passenger trains. Chicagos Union Station is the third-busiest rail station in the U.S., with about 140,000 passengers passing through each day. Everyone's suggestions are really good. This is the 1st leg of a total relaxation vacation. Union Station Train Travel. The Chicago Riverwalk runs along historic Wacker Drive from Lake Michigan west to Lake Street, with access at street level from each major intersection. Passengers looking to grab a bite before taking off can expect airport-like fare including Nuts on Clark, Gold Coast Dogs, Robinson's No. more. The station is located at 225 S Canal St and the west side of the Chicago River between Adams Street and West Jackson Boulevard very close to the city center and just next to the Chicago Greyhound Bus station. (Photo: Tim Boyle/Getty Images News/Getty Images ), Zoos & Aquariums Near Champaign, Illinois, Shedd Aquarium: Plan a Visit -- Hours and Calendar, Famous Tourist Attractions in the State of Illinois, Rock Climbing Walls for Kids in Central Illinois, Kids' Attractions Near Union Station, Chicago, Illinois, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights. The Gage opens at 10. 2020 USATODAY, a division of Gannett Satellite Information Network, Inc. Bellemore. 1 Ribs and a bevy of fast food chains. Loading happens quickly and you should try to have luggage you can manage well and move quickly with. Indoor activities, like the city's many museums, ensure a respite from the windy winters while outdoor sights, like the Lincoln Park Zoo, offer a good reason to get outside. Today, the transportation hub runs Amtrak and Metra trains in and out of the city. I live in Chicago - Sears Tower, Greek Town for food are great ideas! What else is there to do near Union Station? You have to walk slowly and just feel the history of the building seep into you. You may have to clomb narrow stairs to board the train. Interesting how everyone still calls it the "Sears Tower". Look out for your first newsletter in your inbox soon! Showers were available, but I never saw them, we didn't even go upstairs, we just settled into a comfortable spot. These reviews are the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. We went by Coach ride and were amazed at the leg room and comfortable atmosphere on the train.