Will I not be able to pick up the car even if I have enough money in my bank account on my debit card? Driver's Age. I am concerned reading the reviews of car rental places in Split. ATTENTION: Youll be able to rent a car as long as youre 18 years or older, but will be subject to extra charges if youre younger than 22 or older than 70. First, you need to check with your credit card company if you are covered for renting a car in Croatia. We like the idea of driving ourselves so we can explore a little going both ways to Rovinj. Car hire seems very expensive! - Croatia Message Board - Tripadvisor This Company Just Solved The One-Way Car Rental Problem - Forbes The winters there are a lot milder than inland and the coast will be very quiet as many of the locals go on holiday from October to March. Renting a car in a foreign country is a puzzle so this has given me extra ideas on how I will go about it. We intend to be there for a 3 week period this Sept. An IDP international Driving Permit (google!). For more, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter. This is the most scenic road in Croatia. A bit concerned about the large damage deposits charged to our credit card. Book as far in advance as possible! Hi Frank, We are planning a trip to Croatia and related areas with the kids aged 4 and 7, they are good travellers. Roadtripping is an amazing experience, especially if you're on vacation or headed toward a destination you're particularly excited about (like a Jonas Brothers concert, to give a hypothetical example). We only recommend the things we actually use ourselves and never accept useless sponsored crap. Within the final 48 hours, prices almost always go up. It's worth booking online even a few hours before you go to pick the car up. If you are thinking of renting a car in one country and returning it in another, think twice because it actually might be more complicated than you would expect. The first time they absolutely claimed we had to pay for the green card (and we were going from Dubrovnik to both Bosnia and Montenegro so we bought it). In some cases it may be better to rent a car from a company situated near your hotel and pick up the car only once youve settled in. Im hoping to rent a car this August (5 Aug, 2019) at Plitvice Lakes and travel to Zagreb and drop off there. Get a quote for 3 days. were all very expensive, about $2000 for a 2 weeks rental, while renting the car from a british agency like Car Hire 3000 was way cheaper ($300). I am positive is has to do with the illiquidity of the lending market ie banks lending to companies. Some companies don't charge any extras for taking a car across the border to another EU member state, as well as to Switzerland and the UK. It happened to us just this past winter in Spain. Is it anything to worry about, have you heard of ant issues getting it back? 2. Parking in popular destinations in Croatia can be a real hustle, and it costs money. But its always good to have all the info just in case, right? it might be true. What kind of car insurance would we need to rent a car in Croatia? Any questions regarding car rental in Croatia? Keep cold-weather gear, a blanket, as well as food and drinks in the car when youre driving. This will help you out a lot, especially when driving on the highways! Many of my cards are issued with chips and printed numbers. Maybe you can rent it there and then drop it off in Zagreb. NOTE: If your accommodation provides free parking that is an extra bonus-make sure to ask them in advance! Renting a Car in Ireland: My BS-Free 2023 Guide - The Irish Road Trip Do you have any experience renting a car from the company Sixt? They all come at an additional cost. E65) is the most popular national road. I'm going on a road trip from San Francisco to New York in a month and I was checking several car rental companies. Car rental companies also offer additional equipment to rent like GPS, WiFi hot spot packages, child and baby seats, an extra driver, etc. I also noted you would recommend a car for families. Hi Trude, However we have 3 full days on arrival before we need to be in Umag and I would like to take my family to Venice for a day. If your credit card comes with full coverage for a car rental, you must wonder whether you need to purchase additional insurance when renting a car. ), Best Hotels in Split, Croatia Accommodation Recommendations, 5 Unmissable Things to do in Pula, Croatia, Where To Stay In Plitvice Lakes The Best Hotels, Iceland Car Rental Everything You Need to Know Before You Go, 6 Top Places to Stay in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Make sure you arent in a rush when returning your car. The roads are in perfect condition and the views are breathtaking! Thanks so much!! Be it coastline, waterfalls, lakes or some stunning landscape, you will want to see it in your own time, not from a window of a bus. Airport shuttle seems cheap and regular v cab or other from Lucko. This time Im driving up the coast and back but of course will have to transit Bosnia I suspect they will claim we need to buy it but I plan to refuse. So, youll only need to apply for an international drivers license if your current drivers license is not written in Latin letters. Ive noticed that Croatian car rental companies do not offer PLI coverage that compares with, say, the UK or USA. Thankyou for sharing this amazing information. Is it just meWhy are rental cars so expensive this year? Any knowledge as to whether its easier (convenience and cost) to get to downtown from either of these 2 dropoff locations. Sixt Croatia is a part of the Sixt global network. Costing just 124 on average for a week's rental and fuel, those looking for an adventure on wheels could roam around the tropical southeast Asian country for over eight . I was advised that IDP is required. Since my company often rents with Oryx, and I know people there, I called and asked for the best deal they could make me for a day rental. It might be cheaper. I dont want them telling us we need to return the car if we arent ready. As I mentioned earlier, I recommend looking at RentalsCars.com so you can filter your options to find the best deals for whatever your plans are. You bring both US drivers licence and international with you. Oryx is a company based in Zagreb but with offices all over Croatia. We want to rent a car in Zagreb, than go to Bosnia, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia and Serbia. The cool part about price comparison companies is that you can be sure you are protected by the reseller if something goes wrong. A multilane motorway crosses the country from east to west, and south to north. While Croatia is a small country, it's also pretty long. NOTE: In most cases, your car insurance does NOT include possible damages that can happen on the ferry. If I may suggest that you include a section about motorcycles and campervans rental in Croatia as well. A network of national toll-free roads usually runs parallel to the toll motorway. There are plenty of companies that offer short term insurance for rented cars, and many of these come in at a much more reasonable price! Location matters. Youll be able to travel off the beaten track and see sights that many tourists miss! I have an Indian Driving License but no IDP. You should count tolls into your budget however, the fees are a lot lower than in many other countries. Although many small villages have basic facilities, like a grocery store, a bar, and a restaurant, you will need to drive to the closest town if you need an ATM machine, pharmacy, fresh meat or fish, or large supermarket. You can drive a rental car from Croatia to Bosnia, Montenegro, or any other European country. Do many companies deliver cars to hotels or is it just pick ups from main towns and airports? And if its not on your itinerary already, be sure to add the incredible Istria region to your Croatian bucket list. Even for the high season, you can secure a mini-size car for as low as 45 a day if you book 6 or more months in advance. I just dropped you a word via email. Copyright 2023 | Built on Wordpress using Generatepress Theme | Web Hosting by WPX Hosting, Where to go in Croatia: 16 Places Not To Miss, Driving in Croatia: All You Need to Know Before You Go, Travel Croatia on Budget: Money-saving Tips. We want to rent a car in Croatia, but take that car into Montenegro, and then leave from Montenegro. Also try a quote to Split airport rater than the city centre as there tends to be more competition there. Make sure you do have sufficient funds on your card, and extra money left for your trip. Croatia - Why so expensive? - Rovinj Message Board - Tripadvisor With our secure online booking system you can search the cheapest prices online for Car Hire Croatia. Priti, Let me know did you drive without IDP? Thanks for any information that may help. I got an offer for VW Golf for 75 a day; only to find that same car on the Rentalcars website for 50 . Copyright 2014-2023 MissTourist | All Rights Reserved |. I suggest you look further inland, especially if you are renting a car. Hello,Frank and Vera.Nice information.Thanks.We are a family of four,none of us can drive.We are looking for a car to take us from Split to Dubrovnik stopping at Mostar (to save a day and a day trip)but all I find is that I can save money only if one person skips as a silly rule that car or van can have only 3 persons or less or next 8 persons or less paying exorbitant amounts.Please point me to some cheaper alternatives.My time is also limited for me to allow me to travel by bus. Adriagate. It's certainly worth trying especially during the low-demand periods. There may be a fault that the company is not aware of. Cheers! You mentioned that you should be able to drive a croatian car rental into Bosnia and Montenegro with no further insurance other than a green card. This is why it is so important to inspect the car before renting it and do the same on return. There are many others throughout the country, but those are the ones with the heftiest toll fees. If you only plan to relax at the beach 24/7 in any coastal town in Croatia, you won't need a car. Thanks in advance for your reply, were looking forward to experiencing Croatia! The only thing you need when crossing the border is the green card a proof that your car has a minimum level of insurance required to be in Bosnia. You can then individually check the reviews for each car rental company. Having your own rental car allows you to change your plans at any point during your trip and allows for spontaneity. AIR Awareness Outreach; AIR Business Lunch & Learn; AIR Community of Kindness; AIR Dogs: Paws For Minds AIR Hero AIR & NJAMHAA Conference Parking in Dubrovnik is extremely expensive (50-75 kn per hour). because well have to probably catch a taxi or something back to our hotel after we drop it off, so ideally wed be as close as possible to accommodations to keep the fare down. And if you purchase anything using these links, we earn a little commission with no extra costs for you. It is practical to have a car in these situations. Anyways, . Would love your advice on how Croatian rental car companies compare to international companies when it comes to renting a car in Croatia and driving to Hungary, Slovenia and Italy before returning in Croatia: For Dubrovnik, the best is to leave the car somewhere in Lapad, or Gruz, and use public transport or explore on foot. Are there camping grounds? 2. if yes, can it be done through the rental company? Additional Fees for Car Rentals in Croatia 6. Where to hire a car in bulawayo? Explained by Sharing Culture Elise. Ive never been to Croatia but it is definitely on my destination list. Would I need an international driver license? Can it be avoided with our own rental car insurance proof? The cost of renting a car in Thailand, the cheapest country to hire a vehicle in, equals just 11% of the cost of renting a car in Iceland, the most expensive destination. A meal at McDonalds starts at around 10 euros for the most basic budget version, if someone is earning 20-30 euros an hour they're considered very lowly paid. They knew their average demand and had enough cars available for practically everyone to use. We LOVE your website! We offer affordable rates on a premium fleet of luxury and economy vehicles.You can choose to rent daily, weekly or even long term. My wife and I will be in Rovinj the third week in May after a visit to Italy, we are planning to rent a car in Venice and driving to Rovinj and touring Istria for several days. Thanks in advance. Having a difficult time seeing if this is even possible. Komarna is perfectly located to make day trips to Dubrovnik, the Peljesac peninsula, island Hvar, Brac, Korcula, and Mljet, and even a couple of sights in neighboring Bosnia, like Mostar and Kravica Waterfalls. Things to Consider When Renting a Car in Croatia, 5. We were thinking we would fly into either Dubrovnik or Zagreb and and take the scenic route by driving around the country and staying in hotels along each stop. Please let us know in the comments below. I definitely recommend renting a car. But this service will cost you money! Car Rental in Croatia: 2023 Guide On Renting A Car In Croatia If you are going from Split to Dubrovnik or the other way around by car, you will need to cross a tiny strip of land that is not in Croatia. Most things are more expensive there. Michael Jenkins. We are travelling in may 2018: Hi Frank, Thanks for the great blog/information! PRICE: HRK 662 (US $97.5) HRK 1003 (US $149) per day. The major rental car companies in Europe are Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, and Sixt. Why is car hire so expensive now? Hour. Any car in Croatia need to be insured, and green card (needed for traveling to non-EU countries like Montenegro and Bosnia) comes with the basic car insurance. Insurance4CarHire has some of the best independent insurance prices and offers very comprehensive coverage! Intend on a day or 2 in Zagreb without car before we depart for home. PRO TIP: If crossing through Bosnia or Montenegro, do not forget to switch off the internet on your mobile both countries are not part of the EU and the roaming charges are really high! What Documents Do You Need to Rent a Car in Croatia, 4. Croats might break some speed limit rules here and there, but I do not recommend you follow their example as locals they know all the ins and outs, where speed cameras are located and all the other tricks. Or, that's what car rental companies will try to make you do. Do not forget the ticket you receive upon entering the toll! Neum is a coastal town in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Here is a video of a fellow traveller that crossed there: You do NOT need to buy any additional insurance to cross that strip of land, but make sure your car has a green card a proof that your car has a minimum level of insurance required to be in Bosnia. Considering the fact that there are plenty of small towns with narrow cobbled streets in Croatia, the best advice I can give is the smaller the better! However, I would take this cost as definitely one of the costs worth negotiating about with the car rental companys representative. Cheap Car Hire in Croatia | CarJet Observe speed limits, dont use your phone while driving, wear a seatbelt at all times, and have dipped headlights on 24/7 during the winter (October through March). Here are fare examples for the most popular highways: Hint: if you are going on the weekend when the traffic is bad, you can also take an older smaller but prettier road timewise it will take you the same long, but its charming! And here are our reasons why! Ive listed the price in HRK (Croatian Kuna) and USD but please note that the USD exchange rate might significantly change, so make sure to check the up-to-date rates here. However, car rental in many places is still surprisingly cheap. We also have a couple of nationwide companies. Are you looking for cheap car hire in Croatia? Here are 4 car types I recommend for different types of vacations: RECOMMENDED CAR TYPE: If youre going to be doing a lot of long-distance traveling between cities and seeing a lot of open roads, youll need something comfortable with room for plenty of luggage. The telephone number is 987. Why is it so expensive to rent a car right now? - qz.com If you, for example, hold a US driver's license, or any other for that matter, you can drive with a US driver's license in Croatia. Frankaboutcroatia.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Last week of June our family (mum, dad & two teens) have a quick trip to Croatia from NZ for our sons sport. You'll absolutely need a car in Croatia if you decide to stay in any small coastal village, like our village Komarna. I have a question regarding car hire companies.. which company is the best to use in split airport? In the country I live in, it was recommended by the Sixt office that it would be better to set up the contract for fewer days so I wont be stuck with the entire bill. Which car rental company will be best for you depends on what youre wanting to do with your rental car. Thank you so much for supporting this project! The A1 motorway connects Zagreb with Ploce to the south; The A6 motorway connects Zagreb with Rijeka to the west, The A8 motorway connects Rijeka with Kanfanar in Istria (this road is mostly a 4-lane motorway although there are still a few sections with a single-carriageway road), The A9 motorway connects Pula with the Slovenian border via Kanfanar, The A3 motorway connects the Slovenian border to the west with the Serbian border to the east via Zagreb. Any suggestions to keep a 5 five year old will be appreciated. However, if youd like to travel in the summer, youll have the benefit of experiencing the warmest weather and youll meet plenty of other travelers along the way (but be ready to see the higher rates for accommodation and transportation, as in any other country). Central Office Contacts | a: Trg J. Rakovca 2, Porec | t: +385 52 434 700 | m: +385 91 206 3070 | e: [emailprotected]| Website. Hi James, Whether you want to cruise along the rugged coastline or drive deep into Croatia's pine forests, with easy access to the whole of the country the only issue is deciding where to go first Travel Information According to Paula Twidale, senior vice president of AAA Travel, average rates have risen as high as 134 dollars per day.2. For 5 passengers and 5 pieces of baggage(3 big, 2 small) we were considering a station wagon like Renault Clio Estate or Seat Leon Estate. Dubrovnik is the only exemption. In Victoria, the increase was 38 per cent, and in Tasmania, a whopping 92 per cent. Four- and six-lane motorways connect the country from North to South, West, and East. Where to pick up your car. What are my options? Renting a Car in Croatia - Regulations, Companies - Visit Croatia Any other thing should I take into account? Car rental companies belong to this group of businesses. At the time of writing the cheapest compact car for 2 weeks in August at Almeria is 44% (or 330) cheaper in Spain than it is at Murcia. We created this blog to help you plan your perfect trip to Croatia. As for the car rental company, we always use Rentalcars.com. However, parking fees apply in Split, Dibrovnik, or Zagreb even for hotel parkings. For toll vignettes for Croatia/Hungary/Slovenia/Italy, is there an automobile association in Croatia where we could buy them for all neighboring countries? However, if youre not afraid of a little cold, and dont want to hit the tourist hotspots, winter just might be the perfect time to head to the coast of Croatia. ), you can call a road assistance number with English speaking operators 1987. A few questions: I will mention this a couple more times in this post, and I cant stress this enough Croatia is a pretty big tourist destination nowadays (for a good reason!) I have A question. It takes extra time to price out five companies, but prices can vary widely depending on . I and my husband are going from zagreb to dubrownick by car and intend stop in Plitvice Lakes, Split, Zadar, etc. Rory Sexton, managing director at Zest Car Rental, agrees, adding that prices tend to align with demand. So, Nova is definitely worth a try if you are looking to rent a car in Croatia. Drop Off. So, book your car as soon as possible if you can't drive a manual. This is a bucket list trip. Prices have increased accordingly. Am I still permitted to drive in Croatia and Bosnia? Less cars, less working capital, expected lower demand. There many UNESCO heritage, Roman built palaces and beautiful catholic churches and all these will be easy for if you have car on rental. But it's not worth $1,200. If they treat their employees well, the employees must treat the customers well. Motorway A1 going south only reaches as far as Ploce. From Split to Dubrovnik is ~ 60 kunas (~ US $8). We are travelling on a budget, dont have a lot of time and we will be spending the main part of the trip in Umag. Hi Noah, Make sure the driver is in full control at all times, Its important to drive slowly when there is ice or snow on the roads to compensate for the lack of traction your tires will have on the road, Make sure youre accelerating and decelerating slowly. Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links on this page might be affiliate links, which means that at absolutely no extra cost for you we will earn a small commission for a sale generated through the website. Before we even start talking about WHAT you should know before learning everything about car rentals in Croatia, let me make it super clear WHY I think it is the best way to travel in that country: The only problem is, renting a car in a foreign country can be tricky! Thank you :). They all come at an additional cost. For the latest news how coronavirus influences travel in Croatia, and what measurements we are taking, check our Visiting Croatia in times of Covid-19 post. Enjoy your driving in Croatia! Thanks for your site and all the information you provide. If you decide to cover that with public transport, it will take a longer time, and sometimes travel isn't straightforward. A 16 country study of car hire costs worldwide reveals that the USA and Turkey are the cheapest places to hire a car this summer, and Portugal and Italy are the most expensive. Dinka imunovia 2A, 21000, Split, Croatia? I would like to have some foundation if Im going to argue with the company. Learn how your comment data is processed. Contacts (Zagreb Airport) | a: Rudolfa Fizira 21, Zagreb | t: +385 1 6219 900 | e: [emailprotected]. Thanks! "At non-peak times when there is good availability, prices can get cheaper the closer you get to the start date of the rental. Additionally, I assume that my state issued insurance will not cover and costs. 6 years ago Save Most companies charge a one-way fee for a short hire. If you use Google maps for navigation, dont forget to turn the roaming off if, and when traversing through Bosnia, or Montenegro. There are a few general rules that apply in Croatia that you should adhere to at all times on Croatian roads. why is car hire so expensive in ireland It connects Rijeka to the northwest with Dubrovnik to the southeast. Your on line travel guide is terrific. Both countries are non-EU, and roaming charges are huge. However, you will need to pay a cross-border fee. All ZipCar trips come with secondary insurance, maintenance and gas included on all trips. This is not true the green card is enough. Take into consideration the number of people that will be traveling in the car, and the amount of luggage each of them will bring. We are planning the same, Hi Frank so glad I found your site! But to experience all those places and take advantage of Komarna's awesome location, you'll need a car. Enjoy your holidays! Supply and demand. Decide what's the purpose of your trip, and how many places would you like to see during your visit, and you'll have a better idea of whether you need to rent a car in Croatia. Car theft is rare in Croatia I wouldn't worry about that. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I recommend using an economy car that doesnt guzzle petrol but provides plenty of comforts. But, if you take extra insurance with a car hire company in Croatia then the amount authorized on your credit card is much lower, and usually amounts to the rental cost + 200 for any additional costs, like for example parking tickets, late drop-off, or if the fuel tank isn't full. This article was super helpful. Do you know a car company that will do this? Nobody told us that we should vacuum the car ourselves. If you prefer an automatic transmission, you'll need to book your car well in advance, and you'll pay extra. This also means that rental prices increase dramatically in these two summer months. However, buying insurance from them isnt your only option. Zip car charges rental rates per hour, in many cases starting at $11 per hour, or daily rates starting at . It is safe to rent a car in Croatia. Hour. I will stay in old town. What would you suggest? The same goes for picking up or dropping off the car out of office hours. I was told I could call back to the Sixt office where I live to extend the rental. But I find it strange they have charged you afterwards. Were a Canadian-Croatian couple living in and exploring Croatia. Shop around! Opting for car hire in Croatia is your best option for travelling quickly and comfortably to the country's hidden reaches. Huge difference! While in low season you perhaps can just show up at the airport and find a car to rent, this isn't the case in high and shoulder season. Hi Yulia. Frank, Vetura is a regional car rental company based in Porec, and with offices in all major Istrian coastal towns. Holidaymakers face sky-high car hire prices this summer as rental firms struggle to meet renewed demand. Youll also experience less traffic than in the summer months (July and August) which makes a road trip a lot more pleasant! Some companies can charge triple the price for gas, so better do it yourself in advance. Home / Croatia Travel Tips / Car Rental in Croatia: All You Need to Know About Renting a Car in Croatia. Hi Anna, This seems like a scam, though. Yulia is traveling the world for over 12 years now and she LOVES to share her tips from around the world with the others! Any recommendations or providers you would suggest? Hope this helps! But seriously, just follow common sense rules and you will be fine! The most expensive month in which to hire a car is August with prices for for a Compact class) starting at 45.06. Best Car Rental Companies 4. If you dont want to pay the extra charges (it can get quite costly, actually) youll need to bring a baby seat with you, In my opinion, the GPS option is completely unnecessary as Google maps works great in the country and it is available offline if previously downloaded. Aaaand, last but not least, plan for some waiting time at the border, they might have a line (you will have 2 border controls actually one into Bosnia and one after entering Croatia again). Would appreciate your thoughts/tips, and if you have any other advice Id be very grateful. However, in the case of accident, you will be directly charged by car rental company for any damages. However, if you feel like having an international drivers license, its easy to obtain, and it costs little.