Bancroft’s was founded in 1737 following the death of businessman Francis Bancroft, but moved to its current home in Woodford Green at the end of the 19th century. The entire site measures four and a half acres and the main buildings were designed by celebrated architect Arthur Blomfield who also designed the Royal College of Music as well as Eton College. Once having just 100 students, the figure has now grown to over 1000, and many of the buildings have been extended to compensate for this.
For one of the main halls, Great British Lighting installed a series of imitation gas light pendants wired with energy saving lamps and hidden low voltage dichroic lamps to highlight the beamed ceiling. The pendants were finished in an enamelled black with a brass ornamentation and completed with opal glass vesta shades.