The London Palladium, often dubbed ‘the world’s most famous theatre’, opened on Boxing Day 1910 and its stage has seen a huge range of stars from Harry Houdini to Slade. It hosted its first Royal Variety Performance in 1930 and to date has hosted the show more times than any other theatre. Originally opened to compete with other more popular theatres in the area, the exterior dates back to the 19th century when it was known as Argyll House. The venue’s current look was designed by Frank Matcham, renowned theatrical architect who also worked on the London Coliseum. It still retains many original features and was listed Grade II* in 1960.
Great British Lighting supplied a variety of fixtures, from the simplest of designs in the foyer and stairways to the ornate wall brackets mounted on the Royal Box and dress circle fronts. We are particularly proud of the superlative multi-light chandeliers, which highlight the rich and classical decoration of the auditorium.