A miniature opera house of classic Edwardian design, The Palace Theatre first opened in 1913 as a Cine-Variety house, combining both films and variety entertainment. Movies are no longer shown in the present day, but it remains an important live venue and one that most touring artists would not pass by.
The theatre is characterised by its Baroque look, designed by one Bertie Crewe. Other establishments by Mr Crewe are now very rare, and none retain as many original features as the Palace Theatre. A recent overhaul was carried out with funding from Redditch Borough Council and The Heritage Lottery Fund. Great British Lighting were asked to provide a large decorative electrolier in polished brass/copper to the original 1915 GEC design, as well as flush ceiling pendants with a polished antique finish. We also repainted and rewired the client’s own carbon arc exterior wall lights.