Pauul Gelotophobia Fear of being laughed at. I suggest you talk to someone about this who can help you unravel what is behind this fear. Oneirogmophobia Fear of wet dreams. 2013;9:609-18. doi:10.2147%2FNDT.S43097, Thng CEW, Lim-Ashworth NSJ, Poh BZQ, Lim CG. Tonitrophobia Fear of thunder. Tropophobia Fear of moving or making changes. Because there are an infinite variations of fears or phobias, there are plenty of fears that are unique or expressed in unique ways. Realize most phobia names are not scientifically produced and there is no difference in seeking help by telling someone you have phobia X or a fear of being able to scream. Rumour has it, she's so scared of them that she refuses to even touch them. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Congratulations, you're the proud owner of chromophobia, the fear of bright colors. Parasitophobia Fear of parasites. Also, I get goosebumps and freak out if someone has their back to me! Phobia - Harvard Health As you can see by looking at this list, almost any object or situation can become the source of fear. List of phobias: Types, definitions, and treatment - Medical News Today find someone to work with that can assist you in becoming all you can be. To avoid such feelings, people with phobias may avoid any situation where they might potentially encounter the source of their fear. Scarlett Johansson is also terrified of cockroaches and birds. Decidophobia Fear of making decisions. Just said it something that creeps them out with it in their own home please help me with this issue I am having with someone I love very deeply because its really hurting me and I want to understand the fear and also is there such a thing or just an excuse thank you . I suppose its the same with sleeping pills. Is there a name? 3. Dentophobia Fear of dentists.. I also cant stand silence, I feel really uncomfortable when being in complete silence for too long. Thanks, Marc Anyone can have a fear of anything. I was really hoping to find real information about phobias like why do some people have them and others dont? Ricci has "botanophobia" which is the fear of indoor houseplants. Professionals dont need the label other than for dealing with insurance companies. What is fear of balls thrown at me even though they are far, I couldnt see it on here but is haveing clay, oil pastals and chalck on you hands a phobia, Layonie Exposure-based treatments are the first-line approach in the treatment of phobias. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Mastigophobia Fear of punishment. Stars like Americas current sweetheart Jennifer Aniston as well as Tony Curtis (who supposedly turned to hypnosis to cure it), John Madden, Muhammad Ali, Cher and Johnny Cash have all admitted to the extreme fear of flying. Virginitiphobia Fear of rape. This principal of psychology is not formally called the Nicole Kidman Principle, but give it time. Can there be such a fear, of course, people can fear anything. If it consumes a fair amount of time out of you daily experience, you probably want to get some help and see how you can overcome this problem. Symptoms. World Psychiatry. I was going to get someone to come and repaint these walls even if they were white i didnt want to see a messed up wall and I grabbed a bottle of Clorox that i put back in the kitchen after using it fro the other wall and made my sister clean it even though I knew it wouldnt do good. Myctophobia Fear of darkness. Is medication the best way to overcome a phobia? Nomatophobia Fear of names. I cant bear telling my school, as I fear my teacher may mock me. Unless you count John Wayne Gacy and his 31 brutal rapes and murders. 2013;12(2):92-8. doi:10.1002/wps.20050. This is a huge problem in my life because it makes me insane. Some different rare specific phobias include spectrophobia (the fear of mirrors), chiclephobia (the fear of chewing gum), and hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (the fear of long words). I have had thanatophobia since childhood but am developing strategies, I hope! I think it has been worse since the dream came true. Does you mother see her actions as being problematic? We guess the key there is that she said she was afraid of being in a pool "alone" so apparently Ricci figures she can get out of the pool and let her friends succumb to the domesticated house shark instead. Hydrophobophobia Fear of rabies. Stephen Kings IT might have exacerbated the fear of clowns in the hearts and minds of Americans. Phthisiophobia Fear of tuberculosis. It is very real. Ailurophobia is known to have affected many well-known personalities including some of the most famous names of history Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, Mussolini and Alexander The Great. Hagiophobia Fear of saints or holy things. How many nieces and nephew luther vandross have? People can fear anything, but not everything has a name, nor is it important that every fear be categorized. By Kendra Cherry 2020;9:F1000 Faculty Rev-195. Triskaidekaphobia Fear of the number 13. It all began when the rap diva had to take an escalator for a photo op. I have this similar fear, or at least an anxiety of it sufficient to curtail nearly all of my social interactions. Snakephobia Fear of snakes. Methyphobia Fear of alcohol. 2) Surgeons fear of operating. There may also be other things going on, but not enough info to be sure. Amnesiphobia Fear of amnesia. If nothing else, Tamlyn A., youre not alone. Celebrity Phobias and How They Face Their Worst Fears - AARP We note that there are many photos available of Ms. Ricci in or near a pool. Ive been searching, but I cant find anything. The DSM-5: Classification and criteria changes. I dont know if its a phobia or not. The 'Steal My Girl' singer reportedly had a panic attack at an LA theme park when faced with boarding one of the rides. Let me ask you, do you want to have this label so you can put yourself under it and think that now that you have the label you are somewhat better off because others have recognized it or do you want to go to a professional and say I have this phobia, people help. I hope you are working with a professional they can ask more questions and then hopefully give you an answer. Claustrophobia can be triggered by things like: being locked in a windowless. Because I feared being in open spaces indeed, because of past experiences that have happened causing severe mental distress; trauma. Does anybody know of a fear/phobia of infestation, or fear of being overrun or controlled? A phobia is a persistent, excessive, unrealistic fear of an object, person, animal, activity or situation. If this is problematic for you or it interferes with you ability to cope with daily life, see a professional. The list of phobias is an educational tool. Philophobia Fear of falling in love or being in love.. Sitting in the back row of a Phish concert, guaranteeing a dozen of these in view at any time: Some of you will say there should be a name for when people aren't afraid of clowns, since this proud lineage of entertainers has long been the object of scorn and outright fear. 2023 Dotdash Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Atomosophobia Fear of atomic explosions. Everytime I watch a movie or see real life events that show breaking someones bones I feel really strange. Albuminurophobia Fear of kidney disease. Uranophobia Fear of heaven. Epistemophobia Fear of knowledge. is there a fear of drinking water? Didaskaleinophobia Fear of going to school. While you may have fears regarding your memory, I dont think this is the real issue. The fear of public speaking is so common that some researchers have estimated that as much as 77% of people have some level of this fear. Meteorophobia- Fear of meteors. It does not have to even tough me, even close by is terrifying to me. You may want to your check to see if you have some form of paranoia. Is there a phobia for the fear of shirt tags, or labels on fabrics like blankets or towels? Should he want to change himself at some point in the future or if he changes his desire to have a different relationship with you, it will start on his terms and you can be open to that if that time occurs. Ostraconophobia Fear of shellfish. Satanophobia Fear of Satan. The famous director was afraid of eggs ("ovophobia") and once told a reporter "have you ever seen anything more revolting than an egg yolk breaking and spilling its yellow liquid?" Some people are happy but just cant recognize it. Elurophobia Fear of cats. Every time I walk into a bathroom with a tub in it I move the shower curtain and check. As for the sneezing and burping, I would first ask, is it really fear or is it disgust or annoyance, because the latter would not be a phobia. 2017;8:1668. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2017.01668, Spiegel SB. A growing number of people are reporting a fear of holes. Antlophobia Fear of floods. Reportedly in his High School Musical days, Zac Efron had a fear of stripping in front of an audience With a bod like that we find this impossible to believe. It sucks ! Without additional information, it is hard to say, but my guess it could be part of the same fear. Now I am not going to make a diagnosis here, but my guess there may be more to it than Cacophobia, since it does not seem to just be about things being ugly. Yep, those cute little piglets terrify the Pirates of the Caribbean actor! Its called mysophobia, myso meaning mud and phobia meaning fear. Psychrophobia Fear of cold. Spectrophobia Fear of specters or ghosts. I feel like when a door is open someone is around the corner watching me, when its closed their looking under the door or listening to me. There are other out there with this fear, but I could not tell you percentage of people who have to deal with this. Insectophobia Fear of insects. like being full (from eating) or being pregnant? Is there a word for the fear of people you care about being in danger and you not being able to do anything about it? Atelophobia- Fear of imperfection. Sensory or tactile sensations may give us the chills, but this can start falling into the realm of other interpretations our nervous system can create. I am writing my fears for a spiritual program and provided information is very useful. Itd be greatly appreciated if someone helped me! Hi, I have an obvious fear of being touched, which youve named numerous times throughout the list. Not Large Objects. Is it possible to have a fear of not being able help someone or anyone if they are in a very serious situation? Psychology has compiled thousands of phobias, to the poi In a relatively safe world, the part of our brain that alerts us to danger just seems to get bored sometimes. While there may be names for these fears, I dont have the answer. With Halloween upon us we find out what puts the spooks up some of pop's biggest stars. Thomas His son insisted a doctor do "whatever was . It may help. Its not a phobia, its called sensory processing disorder. Its not like fear of the unknown though, because if I can see something but I dont know what it is I am fine,and its not fear of the dark because if I have a place memorized it doesnt matter if I cant see thing I know they are there so I am fine. The invention of the answering machine was amazing". my friends dont take this fear seriously and think Im being lazy which really hurts my feelings . I cant find the name for the fear of being followed or stalked. And I kinda geared up a bit because I thought Id loose it. Hypsiphobia Fear of height. But, not just insects, infestation in general. Placophobia- Fear of tombstones. I understand the desire may have to label their fears. Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia- Fear of the number 666. If this is an on going issue for you, then you may want to get checked for OCD, obsessive compulsive disorder. We help you determine what your dashboard warning lights mean. Once you become better at noticing these thoughts, you can then work on replacing them with more positive, helpful thoughts. I have this rare fear/phobia of not having a water or any fluid to drink with me. She is one of sixteen people to win a Grammy, Academy, Emmy, and Tony Award. Im not quite sure how to describe it, for example if a lot of insects were inside your room, covering it then youd fear that, because its an infestation. Oprah was so profoundly sickened by this that she has banned the chewing of gum in her studio. Im not sure if I can describe it to you correctly, but I think I have this fear because Ive broken my arm and leg a few times. Something phobia? Phobias are listed on this page alphabetically by their medical or scientific label. Symbolophobia Fear of symbolism. The alternative to working with someone is to keep having the dreams and that doesnt sound very pleasant, What is the phobia of large empty rooms? Ophidiophobia Fear of snakes. Urophobia Fear of urine or urinating. A Fear of Mirrors Is Known As Catoptrophobia, Movies That Will Trigger Your Claustrophobia, Upvote the strangest phobias that scare the living daylights out of these incredibly famous people, Christina Ricci Has a Fear of Indoor Plants, Christina Ricci Is Back In The Spotlight - But She Never Really Went Away, American Public Figures Who Are National Treasures, The Greatest Actresses Who Have Never Won an Oscar (for Acting), Actors Who Refused To Return For Sequels - And How The Movies Handled It, Alfred Hitchcock's Scariest Characters, Ranked, Inside Oprah And Gayle's Hilarious Episode of 'Colonial House', The Best TV Actors And Actresses Of All Time, The Greatest Actors & Actresses in Entertainment History, Actors Who Somehow Looked Older In The '90s Than They Do Now. If it really bothers you, see a health professional. So your fear puts you in a pickle, that either you dont express yourself or you risk hurting someone. In a relatively safe world, the part of our brain that alerts us to danger just seems to get bored sometimes. 'Anyone who knows me knows that I have really bad trypophobia". This is a very vague question. everytime i google it it get the fear of unknown people. Both the presence and the anticipation of storms can cause you distress. If it gets worse or starts expanding past the bathtub, you may want to find someone to work with on this. Having a physical reaction to certain ideas, sounds, events or images could be a phobia, but I am guessing you can be pretty sensitive to numerous things; they just dont give you these overwhelming sensations. Textophobia Fear of certain fabrics. The actress also reportedly has a fear of being buried alive, so no wonder she's afraid of graveyards. Again, people can fear anything, any idea, any event, any feeling. I can watch Easley watch someone being hurts in movie, but every time someone hurts himself in petrified. Every time I see someone really annoying I get really scared that if I watch them for too long or I talk to them that I will develop the Same behavior and then I will be as annoying as them, so I all ways try to avoid them as it scares me. Parthenophobia Fear of virgins or young girls. Id immediately start walking faster to get away from it as fast as I could or get into a building before it got too close, I wouldnt stop trying to get away until it was out of sight. I wished I could fly around the world to escape the night. Christina Ricci Has a Fear of Indoor Plants. Amathophobia Fear of dust. Because the nervous system can associate fears to anything (real or made up) it would not be possible to have all fears, because many are unique to a very small group of people. I dont know if its a phobia but I just wanted to leave this comment here anyways. Aeroacrophobia Fear of open high places. This article lists more than 100 of the most common phobias. After THAT moment at the EMA's earlier this year we're judging Zac may no longer be so afraid of being in the buff in public. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013. Carnophobia Fear of meat. I also really dont like toes, the same reason as fingers. Is there a phobia or fear of not being heard or what youre saying is not being heard? Also it there a fear of not using correct punctuation or spelling? Once shes upstairs, I will relax. 35 Celebrities That Suffer From Bizarre Phobias - Pens & Patron Wish I could offer something more hopeful, but acceptance of what you can control is sometimes the best answer to situations. I presentto you the most well-known yet surprisingcelebrity phobias andfears that affectthe famous and the rich. Im afraid of getting picked up and carried like a 4 year old. Suriphobia Fear of mice. This post was really helpful, I just wanted to know if there was a name or phobia for like fear of being stupid. Once again, we can fear anything. Ricci admitted to the New York Daily News that indoor houseplants disturb her, as do swimming pools ("natatiophobia"), and that touching a dirty houseplant is like torture. Even without a name, any fear and be alleviated. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) identifies three different categories of phobias: While not comprehensive, this list of phobias offers a glimpse of the many phobias that can have a serious impact on a person's life. I fear if someone cares that Im alive that I have a purpose, and they want to help me. Interstellar star Matthew McConaughey is afraid of revolving doors and avoids them at all costs. Instead, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is considered a. Ombrophobia Fear of rain or of being rained on.. Read our, AZ List of Some of the More Common Phobias, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, The Different Treatment Options Available for Phobias, Differences Between Fear and Phobia Responses, What Is Thalassophobia? Its just a dream my sister must have been there or something. Toxiphobia, Toxophobia or Toxicophobia Fear of poison or being accidently poisoned. Is there a specific name for that? Iatrophobia Fear of going to the doctor or of doctors. Neopharmaphobia Fear of new drugs.. Dysmorphophobia Fear of deformity. You spend more time in negative emotions then you would care to get into. This is not every phobia, it is merely a list of phobias. I am now 73. Is this just a fear of traveling in a car or something else? Britney, I am going to guess there are some trust issues you have with dealing with the unexpected. The actual fear. Rupophobia Fear of dirt. Not all phobias are created equally. I can be a fan of them behind a screen, but if I were to ever encounter one IRL, I would probably freak out and run away screaming. Im now 14 and its gotten worse. Psellismophobia Fear of stuttering. Ive tried searching it up but there doesnt seem to be a specific term. fear of exams is well known as examinophobia The fear of rejection. The names of specific phobias are often formed as nonce words, or words coined for a single occasion only. Now that we're over 10 years out from her starring turn on Baywatch, the feeling is pretty much mutual. If you are asking for the name of such a fear, find the Greek origin and add phobia. Because if there are, Id like to know because I have those phobias. The question is not if these exist or do you have them, it is what will you do to work through them. You may want to work with someone to deal with this, so you can feel comfortable sharing your perspectives.